Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:39:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: B.O.S.S. - Bureau of Strange Studies  (Read 17206 times)

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
B.O.S.S. - Bureau of Strange Studies
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
Greetings you all

For the longest Time I wanted to do this but had put it off multiple Times. Usually I frequent the Fantasy Part of this Forum as I am an avid Dwarf collector and Fan. But I have decided to give some other Projects a go that I could follow on the side. Some Vikings for saga, some Chaos in carpathia Warbands AND finally Strange Aeons.

Some serious thoughts beforehand, I appologize if some might feel that stuff like this shouldn`t have a Place here, this only reflects my personal feelings.

When it comes to Lovecraft and his Work I allways have ambiguous feelings.
I have read a lot/most of his work. While I thoroughly enjoy a lot of it and harbour a deep fascination of his Cthulhu Mythos Universe, I often can`t get over the fact of his sometimes hidden, sometimes blatantly obvious racism and bias towards certain cultures. I must admit that I could be overly sensitive when it comes to that matter since I am Dark skinned myself (from Afrika) and I can`t overlook those facts. Poems like : "On the creation of *******" don`t sit well with me. I can`t help it. Its not just only that he was a man of his Timeas many claim, that man had issues.

At the same Time studying Literarture and there such at  University I think the works of one being never can be reduced to one facette. Its more complicated than that AND I simply love some good old horror sending shivers down my spine.Thats why I could never call myself a Lovecraft Fan, but I am deeply fascinated by the Universe he created.  
Long story short: Some nice stories from a mad, ignorant man  ;) and an great Game I can`t wait to finally play  :D.

Since my Funds are really Limited I haven`t accuired much so far and each purchase needs to be picked carefully, nor do I have the rulebook yet, but now there is a PDF File availlable its next on my List.

I got myself some Investigators over Time. I didn`t look for certain Equipment. I simply took miniatures that spoke to me, please let me now if there is something important missing for the Beginning.

When it comes to Lurkers I will start with some Zombies from Mantic I had laying around, Reaper Bones Gribblies and random Stuff that could Fit. The biggest quarrel I am having with Cultists, I know they are important but i haven`t found andy I liked for now, not sure how to help myself in that regard.

Thats it for the Beginning, i am sorry that I couldn`t show anything painted yet, but I decided that it was Time to post something as it would motivate me to start working. Every Tip, suggestion and so on is allways welcome ( I know I haven`t actually asked any queston yet  ;D)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:42:07 PM by Theatralic »

My Vintage Dwarfs: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42987.0

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
Re: Diving into Strange Aeons
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »
Glad you're on board - as a recent convert myself (even though I am a HUGE Lovecraft fan, I had been putting it off as well) - I have to say, you won't regret it!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »
Nice to have you.
I think Lovecraft was very much a man of his time and place, not to excuse racism. I am conflicted about his beliefs and not knowing the man I cannot really comment further. Some of his stories are overtly racist but I also feel that some challenge the theme...either way that is part of the horror perhaps?

That said, many authors have written in (or around...) the mythos with various themes and levels of success...but almost all have created some really weird monsters.  8)

Strange Aeons is about fighting those monsters. Get those Tommy guns painted and start rolling dice!

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »
Thank you dear Gentleman for you welcoming me in your midst  :).

I am raging through my piles of accumulated stuff, looking for Things i could use. I came across some skinks I have no use for and thought about using them as Deep Ones. What do you Guys think? Too Fantasy? i have no sculting skills so no Green Stuff work, but I would add some crude knifes and cleavers. I am allways happy if I can reduce unpainted stuff and actually find use for stuff .

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »
Nice to have you.
I think Lovecraft was very much a man of his time and place, not to excuse racism. I am conflicted about his beliefs and not knowing the man I cannot really comment further. Some of his stories are overtly racist but I also feel that some challenge the theme...either way that is part of the horror perhaps?

That said, many authors have written in (or around...) the mythos with various themes and levels of success...but almost all have created some really weird monsters.  8)

Strange Aeons is about fighting those monsters. Get those Tommy guns painted and start rolling dice!

It baffles me how people focus so much on the tiny Racism aspect of Lovecrafts personality, considering he was born and raised in a VERY racist time - its only to be expected really, and not really present in his stories (unlike Tolkiens works  lol )

Even though H.P. was a man of his time, his ideas were aeons (some might say "Strange" LoL) ahead of his time!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
I think those will work fine as Deep Ones.  GW Lizardmen and Skinks are surprisingly versatile! 

On the subject of Lovecraft and racism, there's something to be said for separating the artist from the art.  You can appreciate Lovecraft's writing (and that of any number of other writers of the time - you want overt racism, try Kipling!) without necessarily appreciating him as a person, or inherently validating his beliefs.

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »
I had feared that I might open a can of worms. That wasn`t my aim, but I needed to get it off my chest before I started to get cracking with my stuff.

Like allways there are different Viewpoints on this subject and I might be overly sensitive in that matter,some of his work just gets under my skin, but alas I chose for myself how to deal with it. So take my appologies if I offended anyone and I am not trying to start a discussion, although it would be great and interesting to analyze his works together this of course is not the right Place for it  :).

This is the Place for shooting Strange Ones (see what I did there ;P) in the Face  :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:17:47 PM by Theatralic »

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »
Hey,

I'm always happy to see new SA players and I think you'll have great fun with the game.

The authors would know better, but if you're low on funds, perhaps you'd want to wait for second edition? I have to say again I don't know when it would be expected as from what I've learned, the play testing has only started, but I had to mention it.

I'll restrain from repeating others in regard to what bothers you with Lovecraft, but the good thing is, you can always just take the interesting parts and suit it to your needs.
In that spirit, if you think skins are good enough for you, they are good enough. You can always use them as Lizardmen (which I believe they are) and use fishman profile. I know I am stating the obvious here, but...hey, if that's what you got, use it! :)

I have used my Mantic zombies for various profiles (Degenerate, all kinds of ghosts, ancient warrior, even scrawny one, cavemen and probably some others :D), all you need is some GS (try buying "kneadite" :P). I know you said you have no sculpting skills, but you should try it - it opens a whole new world of possibilities :D

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:42:51 PM »
Thanks :), I will use the Lizards as fishmen, you raise a good point about the 2nd edition, would hurt to buy the book just to find myself outdated in short Time. If I had he funds no worries, this endeavour is worth every support. But as a student I have to keep everything as tight together as possible.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »
Isn't there a PDF of the rules available at a pretty decent price? I was contemplating it myself though I would definitely get more use out of a second edition with solo rules  ;) (my group doesn't really do such stuff!).

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
It baffles me how people focus so much on the tiny Racism aspect of Lovecrafts personality, considering he was born and raised in a VERY racist time - its only to be expected really, and not really present in his stories (unlike Tolkiens works  lol )

Even though H.P. was a man of his time, his ideas were aeons (some might say "Strange" LoL) ahead of his time!

Not only that but had a very limited social circle as well, despite it being years after the Civil War and living up north did not remove the taint that was all throughout society. Still, in most literature the writers tended to be raciest in context (some heavier than some) about other societies that they may have disliked or was totally ignorant about.

I touched on this in my paper about HP Lovecraft, the professor was very impressed with my choice and how I approached it touching on rough ground subjects....

As for your color Theatralic.....doesn't matter to me as long as you are willing to throw dice, laugh and have fun. That is all that matters to this crowd. Take all the literature with a grain of salt....as it was said it was ignorant times.

I think you could get by using the skinks....I don't see anything wrong with that....
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
The actual release of 2nd Edition is probably about a year away.  No firm date set as such, but it should be in that window.

Looking back at my previous comment, I realize it didn't convey my thoughts very well.  I wasn't trying to say nobody should be offended - just that I believe it's alright to like something even if you don't like the person or environment that created it.  All art, in the end, is really about what it means to the viewer, not the artist, and sometimes great art is born out of anxiety, pain or even hatred.  Not wanting to drag out the subject though - just felt the need to clarify what I'd said before.

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 09:13:13 PM »
but if you're low on funds, perhaps you'd want to wait for second edition?

Isn't that a way off atm??

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 09:14:08 PM »
Thanks for that information, thats a good while back and thanks again for all you Guys welcoming me and chiming in.

I am really looking forward to this, didn`t find those dreaded mantic zombies I had for now I will work on those "Fishmen" and trying to find some ragged weapons for them.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:46:02 PM by Theatralic »

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 09:15:10 PM »
Not only that but had a very limited social circle as well, despite it being years after the Civil War and living up north did not remove the taint that was all throughout society. Still, in most literature the writers tended to be raciest in context (some heavier than some) about other societies that they may have disliked or was totally ignorant about.

I touched on this in my paper about HP Lovecraft, the professor was very impressed with my choice and how I approached it touching on rough ground subjects....

As for your color Theatralic.....doesn't matter to me as long as you are willing to throw dice, laugh and have fun. That is all that matters to this crowd. Take all the literature with a grain of salt....as it was said it was ignorant times.

I think you could get by using the skinks....I don't see anything wrong with that....

What He Said . . . .

The actual release of 2nd Edition is probably about a year away.  No firm date set as such, but it should be in that window.

Looking back at my previous comment, I realize it didn't convey my thoughts very well.  I wasn't trying to say nobody should be offended - just that I believe it's alright to like something even if you don't like the person or environment that created it.  All art, in the end, is really about what it means to the viewer, not the artist, and sometimes great art is born out of anxiety, pain or even hatred.  Not wanting to drag out the subject though - just felt the need to clarify what I'd said before.

And What He Said . . . .

Take the best, and ignore the worst  . . . . .

The Skinks could be a freshwater variety - like newts :D