Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690503
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: B.O.S.S. - Bureau of Strange Studies  (Read 17254 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: Diving into Strange Aeons
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »
Use your minis! Get'em on the table and play some games! Even if you do end up buying actual Deep One figures later on, your Skinks are going to remain very useful for Strange Aeons play...

Also, go .pdf for the rules if you have a decent means to read them or print them. Second edition is at least a year away......
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
As I've said, authors would knew better, a year is a long time away indeed! :P

And back to the miniatures, you won't need more than 3-4 agents per game and for starters, 1 large monster (formless being, so literally anything works as it could take shape of anything :P) and then some zombies, a fishman or two that you got covered, perhaps some ghouls (zombies are good for that), some evil people (agents are good for that) and I liked a conglomerate...it's kinda my favorite :D. There's lots and lots of profiles (they are actually posted somewhere on the forums) and keep in mind every lurker can get up to 5 points of upgrades, so you can really use up mostly anything you got to start with.
I went on an changed T-rex with Megatherium, Triceratops with wooly rhino and I'm planning on using wolves instead of Raptors for example. Not that I've had a chance to use them in a game so far, but oh well... :D

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 04:41:03 PM »
I just bit the bullet and accuired the Rulebook, my Printer is running hot allready  lol. Can`t wait to read them.

I built some of the Notskinks, not as awesome as other models out there but will do for now. I tried to kitbash something, but probably won`t finish it as I couldn`t find a satisfying Head Solution and when I look at it, it screams " Hi there,I am a Tyranid with additional Daemon Arms". It doesn`t look fitting enough with those Parts at my disposal.

My Vintage Dwarfs: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42987.0

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »
I LIKE IT!

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »
Glad that you like it. I just killed my Printer  :'( trying to print out that book, don`t know what gets me more, my broken printer or that it only printed half of the Book.

Damn you Old Ones, you won`t stop me!  >:(

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing what produce, Theatrilic.
As a big fan of your Dwarf army and painting style I look forward with relish!
 :D

As for that big gribblie: I dont see "Tyranid with additional Daemon Arms", I see: "Run for the hills!".
I think it shows promise, but I would lose the sword and add a few tentacles.
I know that you said no greenstuff, but tentacles are easy.
 ;)

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »
Yea, I printed mine out as well - luckily I don't pay for ink ;)

Bad luck there, don't give up!

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »
I quite like the beast without a head as it currently looks like it's got one big eye and a flat head. Makes it look far more creepy

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 07:38:47 PM »
Hope you dont mind me giving you some advice  ;D

I think the skinks are an inspired idea... but... (see what i did there) I would cut and scrape of the crests with a sharp knife... that would make them look somuch more like frogs and thus more like deep ones... the convesion is pretty bad ass too! I would put a plastic GW river troll head on there and call it a day...

(I have a few kicking around so i could send you one for shipping costs  :D ).
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 02:16:48 AM »
Thank you Gents for your Input, any advice and suggestion is more than welcome  :). Great idea removing the Crests , they look way better now.

I read the rules and played a "Monster Hunt" against myself.
My brave Treshold Agents where... well Trashed by the Formless Thing. Nothing aesthetically pleasing as I used unpainted minis and old Terrain in dire Need of a repaint, but of course I wanted to throw some dice.

I couldn`t do any Damage to that Thing.

My Guns never Hit or wounded. My Heroic Close Combat Leader, an old grim Cavalry Officer, cried in Panic when the gaze of that unholy creature fell upon him, wet himself and decided to lay Face Down on the Ground, without even having drawn his trusty Saber once...of course he was immediately squashed.

The Rest of the Tragedy saw my poor fellas desperately trying to scratch the abomination with their Bowie Knifes....they were never heard of again...

Well, that escalated quickly...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:42:51 AM by Theatralic »

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 03:36:55 AM »
Monster Attack does tend to be a bit murderous on starting lists.  A lot of people swear by dynamite, but I'm always a shotgun advocate (though it does mean getting in close to get the damage bonus!).  Either way, at least one weapon with the potential to inflict a D+3 hit is a must for a new squad.

Offline Mathyoo

• Scientist
    • My blog here!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
But...how could they compete with a blob-y tentacle-y thing-y? :P

Also, keep in mind a leader in close combat CAN NOT nominate other miniatures, so he's better of as a shooter type of guy, while one of the agents charges in to make it personal :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 11:32:10 AM »
Nice to see you getting a taste of the game.
 8)

Also, keep in mind a leader in close combat CAN NOT nominate other miniatures, so he's better of as a shooter type of guy, while one of the agents charges in to make it personal :)

Whilst that is a very good point regarding the ability to nominate, everyone in my group has quickly learnt that a character MUST carry a swoed/sabre if he is to stay alive.

In fact, it has gotten to the point where they are now referred to as 'service-issue' for team leaders.

And a character does make for a great close combat expert with all those attacks.
Couple that with a sword and Parry and they are pretty hard top stop.
 ;)

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »
But...how could they compete with a blob-y tentacle-y thing-y? :P

Thats certainly an important fact, i forgot about that, makes me think.
I have found the ability to nominate other agents more than just important At the same Time I love the flavor of an old, grizzled, Battletired "Veteran" who cuts Gribblies into Pieces although he would love nothing more too finally stop the fighting and live his old Days in Peace...but once you have seen behind the curtain there is no Peace for the Mind...

Monster Attack does tend to be a bit murderous on starting lists.  A lot of people swear by dynamite, but I'm always a shotgun advocate (though it does mean getting in close to get the damage bonus!).  Either way, at least one weapon with the potential to inflict a D+3 hit is a must for a new squad.

I could certainly subscribe to "murderous"  lol, it was gruesome, pretty much felt like the first 5 Minutes of a Horror B Movie, you know these poor Guys who think its a good Idea to run into the Woods, hunting something, just to realize they are being hunted and taken down one by one....

I see that some bigger guns would help, but I wanted to stay at least a bit true to the Guns the models where actually wielding, but i guess it will be impossible to go WYSIWYG all the way *sigh* . For now I have one Agent wielding a Bolt Action Rifle and improved Dexterity, one two Fisted Agent with Double .45s and my Leader with his Saber and .45.

Nice to see you getting a taste of the game.
 8)

Whilst that is a very good point regarding the ability to nominate, everyone in my group has quickly learnt that a character MUST carry a swoed/sabre if he is to stay alive.

In fact, it has gotten to the point where they are now referred to as 'service-issue' for team leaders.

And a character does make for a great close combat expert with all those attacks.
Couple that with a sword and Parry and they are pretty hard top stop.
 ;)

Yeah, as sad as playing against oneself may sound, it helps to get a grasp of the rules and Mechanics.

I played another Game today, this Time it was "Fight", I threw 2 Fishmen and 3 Cultists against my Agents....this Time it was a Slaughter again only difference was that Treshold was doing the murdering instead.

The first fishmen got a rifle Bullet clean through his Brain. The other one was cut into small Pieces by my Frenzied Leader, really tiny, itsy bitsy Pieces. The Rest of the cult died in a hail of Bullets from my Dual .45 Wielding Agent. I can certainly see that Lurkers need someone with the command ability as well, everytime a single Modle was activated he went immediately down to my agents ganging up on him. Brutal...but it left me with a feel of satisfaction  :D ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:12:59 PM by Theatralic »

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »
 lol