Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:01:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690627
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: B.O.S.S. - Bureau of Strange Studies  (Read 17257 times)

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
Re: Diving into Strange Aeons
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »
Its that easy isn`t it  lol . Clear instance of me overthinking and looking for something that explicitly says: Yes, go ahead, you are allowed to buy that fancy stuff, have fun, take names  lol .

Thanks Mr Peabody! I am sure that this won`t be my last question  o_o

My Vintage Dwarfs: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42987.0

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »
Its that easy isn`t it  lol . Clear instance of me overthinking and looking for something that explicitly says: Yes, go ahead, you are allowed to buy that fancy stuff, have fun, take names  lol .

Thanks Mr Peabody! I am sure that this won`t be my last question  o_o

I did exactly the same for my first games, until somebody pointed out to me that I could knock myself out on buying weapons  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
Whilst they are very nice figures indeed, the limitations with their weapons makes them a bit impractical game-wise.
If you want a 'useful' Cult in the game you need a variety of weapons ranging from simple clubs and pistols right up to Thompsons and maybe more.

That is why I went for the mix that I did with my own figures.
I tried to cover all the bases of likely options.
 ;)

With pistols/knives I don't bother about wysiwyg; I have a couple of unarmed cultist models I just give whatever small arms I see fit. Thompsons, rifles, and shotguns is another matter, though, true enough. One really wants the menacing effect of those on the table  >:D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
With pistols/knives I don't bother about wysiwyg; I have a couple of unarmed cultist models I just give whatever small arms I see fit. Thompsons, rifles, and shotguns is another matter, though, true enough. One really wants the menacing effect of those on the table  >:D

Let us not forget that the 'free' choice for a Common weapon is still there.

Basically it is a choice between a .22 (back-up to the new weapon upgrade in case you 'jam'), or a club or knife so that the dastardly fiend is not 'unarmed' in close combat... ;)

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 09:52:45 PM »
Let us not forget that the 'free' choice for a Common weapon is still there.

Basically it is a choice between a .22 (back-up to the new weapon upgrade in case you 'jam'), or a club or knife so that the dastardly fiend is not 'unarmed' in close combat... ;)

^
|

You nailed it right there.

I'm also a big supporter of wsyiwyg.  Nobody likes charging an unarmed cultist, only to find that he has a tommy gun and a spear stuffed in his robes.  While often entertaining and deliciously devious, it is not considered gentlemanly conduct.  If we do decide that a certain model is armed differently than he appears, our house rules are that this needs to be declared to your opponent in the pregame deployment.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
Be clear up front you Lurkers! At least it lets you make good use of your minis and allows you to try many different 'builds'; shooty, slashy, etc, without needing to paint and model endlessly.

Also, don't forget to purchase SKILLS. Reduce Dex, increase Con, gain some movement... Attribute changes can be many times more potent than mere weaponry. The guidelines and limits for making these changes are pretty clear, so give it a whirl if you haven't already.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
As I wrote, larger weapons should be visible, but otherwise just assume that any (clothed) model may carry a concealed knife or pistol - just as in real life, you won't know until he reveals it - or not  ;) After all, the cultist may be busy performing some devious and gruesome tasks that require the use of both hands, as they are interrupted by the government agents.

I don't sculpt dynamite on a model carrying it, either, just assume that the guy has a bag or something for it. Especially Treshold models may change equipment a whole lot, so it's not really practical to people like me who has limited time for painting and modelling to cover every eventuality.

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
Yeah, thats what I need to realize also. My friends call me militant when it comes to WYSIWYG and many feel the wrath of my evil eye on their "Iamfuglybaserepresentingsomething" but I had to realize that it won`t be possible for me to follow it as much as I would love, at least for now. I also agee on smaller arms being hidden somwhere....you really don`t want to know where that ugly stinking cultist pulled that Dynamite from  lol

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 01:14:44 AM »
I have finally started to paint, and I must say now I have eeven more respect for you Guys. I find those miniatures incredible hard to paint and way out of my Comfort Zone. Never having painted anything remotely human or in that smaller more realistic scale this is becoming a painful Learning Process.

I actually have no clue how to paint normal clothes  lol . Those Faces and yes are insanely small and you don`t have much space to work on, since I drink way too much coffe my hands are allways shaking which doesn`t make it easier to hit something  ;D.

That Miniature has HUGE EARS I realized, now I can`t stop too look at them and he has NO eyebrows, I tried to paint some myself but they look a bit off, still I think he is coming along good for Tabletop.

I messed up some shadows, especially around the Nose area and the Lights on the nose itself, but I need to remind myself that none is going to look at those minis that close and everytime I tried to fix it up a bit I made it worse, thats why I hate Pictures of my own minis, they tend to show you everything that went a bit off.

Now I am even more sure that Einarolafson is not from this worls ;P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:26:01 AM by Theatralic »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »
That looks bloody good to me, mate.
 :-*

You are too hard on yourself.
 :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »
Doesn't matter if you can spot a couple of small mistakes because you know you made them. What matters is that most ppl will only see the model from about an arm's length away, and I think the skin and hair is more than good enough for that.

I can see what you mean, because you told me what to look for, but the only thing I would address if it were my work are the 2 tiny dark spots, one on each  cheakbone. I think they are a result of shaking hands, resulting in an uneven coverage. Small spots have a tendency to draw in the eye of the beholder.

Otherwise, get on with it.  ;)

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2014, 06:00:35 PM »
Thanks Gents. I tend to be a bit overly critical with my stuff, its a sickness . I grew up in a environment with friends having Loads of Golden demons and similar Trophies in their possession, thats not healthy. Great Mates but everytime you visit them it makes you wanna cry  lol.

Thanks for the Input, you are right Argonor those spots should be touched up, but its not easy to even get near his Face. I am on my 5th Cup of coffee today, maybe I should find another drug to keep me going  ;D.

MY Lady is outta House which leaves me and my Cat from Hell, a chance for me to get some work in.

Any suggestions for the scarf, no clue which color to use?

As you can see my painting style is a bit on the flat side, don`t know why but I prefer toned down desaturated colors . I know I should push te contrast and highlights more, but I am never happy after having done that. Flat it is then, maybe its just my style and I should stick with it. I like where he is going.

I did an entry for the LPC, its a speedpaint and nothing fancy but for less than 30 Minutes I am rather happy. I should have been more carefull with all the Gore, but once I started I couldn`t stop  lol. I needed to test out that Tamiya and its strange but cool stuff.

I think I will be able to finish that Guy today although agents of the old Ones try to sabotage me on every step.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:05:21 PM by Theatralic »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2014, 08:45:56 PM »
The scarf could be in the colours of one of the Ivy League universities (or the Miskatonic U.)

Keeping to a muted/natural pallette works really well with one or two details with brighter colours.

Or, if you prefer to keep things toned down, I think a dusty bottle green or earthy brown would work well alongside that jacket.

You could also use bone-to-white colours for a silk scarf. Options are legio, actually  :) I'm pretty sure you're going to nail it, whatever you decide; nice work so far!

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2014, 11:48:12 PM »
Agent Louis Alexander Slominski

The Years 1850 to 1920 had seen many polish Immigrants fleeing their Homecountries economic and political Changes, following their hope for a better Life in the United States.

This Hope should soon be shattered for many of them as they saw themselves forced to work Low Wage, dangerous Jobs disregarding their own, often academic, professional Background.

Louis Alexander Slominski was born to two such Immigrants, both former University Professors, now working in a Steel Factory under dire circumstances. Soon after he came to age he too started to work in said Factory.

In the 1920s Conditions finally reached an new Low. This led to Nation Wide Strikes by Polish workers. Strikes which were answered by bringing in Organizations like Pinkerton’s National Detective Agency, often utilizing less than legal methods to deal with outspeaking workers.

Soon enough Violence hit the streets, and strikers met Private Agents and Lawmen Head On.

In this Days Louis made himself a name as a fearsome Streetfighter and Defender of what he saw as a righteous cause in Defense of his People.
Authorities on the other Hand would probably call him a rioter and criminal.

Of course this had to end for him nowhere else than Jail, probably to be never seen again... if someone else hadn`t stepped in.

Pinkerton had been a source of formidable Agents for Treshold in the Past. It was during such a search for possible new Recruits that Agent Francis O. Buchanan found recurring Reports of a Young Man hospitalizing Pinkerton Agents.

After a bit of digging and not so official inquiries he immediately recognized the unused potential of this young and determined Men and decided to seek him out....with an offer he couldn`t refuse.

Finished my first Agent, apart from some mistakes and minor Touch Ups. I had to use my phone which falsefies some colors and Highlights.

I will take decent Pics on a later Point. I came up with a bit off rough Background for him. Please keep in mind that engllish isn`t my native Toungue which often leads to cumbersome formulations and I am prone to make mistakes. Still, I love thinking about possible Backgrounds for my Guys.

Cheers

Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places.
H. P. Lovecraft
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:35:11 AM by Theatralic »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Finished Investigator
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »
Great model, impeckable painting.

Looking forward to see the rest of your team come together!  :)

One question: In the earlier close-ips, your primer sees a little rough/dusty. Is it a trick of the camera, or does your spray can play tricks? I have had it happen to me in humid conditions.