Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:13:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hasslefree's 'not Aliens' Sci-Fi Humans ?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
Hasslefree's 'not Aliens' Sci-Fi Humans ?
« on: March 29, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »
Hi, I've been flicking about from one board to another looking for inspiration to start a new project and came across Sgt. Scream's outstanding project http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=45470.0 and decided to dig out and dust off my Horror Clix Aliens & Predators from the loft.
A quick look on evilbay revealed the sets going for silly money so I'm just going to stick with the 15 Aliens, 8 Predators and the Alien Queen that I've got. I've got no idea what my game plan is or what rules I could use but thought I'd firstly need to get a Human faction together.
So what I need now is a small group of tough hombres to go up against the Preds & Xenomorphs, a look at available 28mm figures available that come closest to the look of the Colonial Marines has turned up Hasslefree's Sci-Fi Humans. I know that some of Kevs figures can seem a bit on the small side of 28mm (or do they just look like that because they're more correctly anatomically sculpted than other manufacturers) but has anyone used them along side the Horror Clix Aliens - I know Aliens are meant to be bigger than Humans - and if so are there any side by side comparison pics please.

Regards

Offline The Somnambulist

• Scientist
Re: Hasslefree's 'not Aliens' Sci-Fi Humans ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
You should check out Copplestones Assault Troopers, these are pretty close to the colonial marines in Aliens, EM4 do the same figures although they are slightly smaller (but a bigger range) Crooked dice do a figure called William Killan which is a good proxy for Burke. I've got a couple of Hasslefree miniatures for Ripley and Newt. Like so many of my projects this is still in its acquisition phase!
I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
Plenty of comparison pictures in my review: http://dawnofthelead.com/2011/03/25/colonial-marine-miniatures-a-review/

Here's one with Hasslefree, Woodbine, Defiance, a HC alien and em4:

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »
The HC aliens are technically too large for 28mm. Aliens aren't overall larger than humans, just proportionally elongated, so HC aliens from what I've seen are something more like 35mm scale. That said, they're pretty much the only game in town (other than Leading Edge aliens, which are long OOP, poorly sculpted anyway, and have their own proportional issues), unless you want to convert something.

I dunno how risky it would be to make good not-Aliens (there are enough not-preds and other such around), but it is IMO kind off odd that there aren't more 28mm attempts out there. There's probably a decent unserved market for it.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »
You can use proxies for aliens if you can bear it... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=62818.0

You should check out Copplestones Assault Troopers, these are pretty close to the colonial marines in Aliens, EM4 do the same figures although they are slightly smaller (but a bigger range)

I use the em4 ones although I didn't realise the copplestone ones were larger.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
You can use proxies for aliens if you can bear it... http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=62818.0

I use the em4 ones although I didn't realise the copplestone ones were larger.

I don't think they are- they are sculpted of the same dollies. The story goes EM4 acquired the grenadier moulds while Mark Copplestone kept the masters and sculpted his new range from those. Meanwhile Mirliton got the American production moulds- which explains why you have three companies producing very similar (or identical) Copplestone sculpts.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 08:05:54 AM »
Cheers for the replies and pointers guys - manatic, great review and comparison of figure sizes, really helpful the Hasslefree figures look waaaay too small.
I'm thinking as a possible option of doing a AVP style game, I've got the Fenris APEX Investigators as scientist types but need some armed security to accompany them - not futuristically armed and wearing parkas/cold weather clothing - any ideas for figures that match size wise and style with the Investigators please ?

Regards

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:51:08 AM »
Try four A miniatures. They have some nice cold weather troopers.

Failing that if you look up skirmish scavenge survive on here you'll find a range commissioned by one of LAF's own and the same sculptor as the four A troopers.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
mcfonz, thanks for the pointer - the winter militia might just be what I'm looking for  :)
I'd had a look at the TAG and Empress Miniatures ranges but they were all too military styled for my needs.

Regards

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
I don't think they are- they are sculpted of the same dollies. The story goes EM4 acquired the grenadier moulds while Mark Copplestone kept the masters and sculpted his new range from those. Meanwhile Mirliton got the American production moulds- which explains why you have three companies producing very similar (or identical) Copplestone sculpts.

The newer Copplestone Castings minis are taller (even if you disregard the integral base) and heftier, here's another comparison picture:

Hasslefree, 1st corps, em4, Copplestone, Woodbine

I still use them happily together, as I'm not too picky in general.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
Try four A miniatures. They have some nice cold weather troopers.

Those are very nice figures, the only ones to grab slug's eye last salute.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 07:01:04 PM »
The newer Copplestone Castings minis are taller (even if you disregard the integral base) and heftier, here's another comparison picture:

Hasslefree, 1st corps, em4, Copplestone, Woodbine

I still use them happily together, as I'm not too picky in general.

fair pointy- I stand corrected.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
I mix and match them too. The main size differences appear to be with the heads and hands, I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if he did use the same dollies though. If you use that picture and straighten the stance of the em4 chap there probably isn't much in it at all. Just the proportions seem a little larger that's all.