Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:41:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ionian sharp shooters 1822 GWI  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
Ionian sharp shooters 1822 GWI
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:07:01 AM »
In the battle of Peta there were Ionian sharpshooters fighting for the Greeks, however there are no illustrations as to uniform or dress accordingly I was planing to use an amalgam of the two plates to give some uniformity to the brief I give to a sculptor.
I believe the unit was semi regular made up of men from the island.
Glad to know what people think?

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ionian sharp shooters 1822 GWI
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »
There is no description of what the Ionian sharpshooters (Septinsular company) looked like. In the battle of Peta, it is recorded that a Septinsular company took place. It is also referred that they were "regulars". So, It seems that some of the men were veterans(!) of the septinsular army.
The septinsular army created by the Septinsular (seven islands) republic (1800-1807) wore a french like uniform, similar of the chasseurs. By 1807 the seven islands ceased as a perublic and returned to the french. The British campaigned against them but French kept Corfu until 1814.
The First plate shows some roumeliote or "albanians" (christian speaking albanian, maybe souliotes or so) and the second plate is a member of the British raised Greek light Infantry . Both of the regiments disbanded by 1814.

1.- The Greek light infantry uniforms were similar to the traditional Greek dress , i.e. fustanella etc. (BTW the only surviving parts I know is the helmet and the insignia retained by Kolokotronis and still surviving at the National (Ethnological) Museum).
Since it is quite similar to the fustanella tradition dress , it is not easy to distinguish it from the dress of the Peloponnesians or the traditional dress from Rumelia.
2.- The septinsular army had French chasseurs uniform. In the area there might be left some veterans of the Chasseurs d' orient regiment, who fought in Parga during the napoleonic era. This regiment included Greeks, too.
3.- The Ionian/Spetinsular traditional dress is not like the tradiotional fustanella dress. Islanders and maniate usually wore vrakas of blue colour.

So, the speculation could be that the Septinsular company (I wouldn't dare to call them sharpshooters) could wear anything.
From miltary leftovers of french origin, to  civilian clothes (i.e. traditional fustanell, vraka, breaches or Western pants/trousers).
For sake of uniformity and in order to distinguish this unit I would use figures, like Napoleonic  French in campaign dress, shirts or various jackets - some in French Napoleonic coats-  one or two in shakos and a couple in bicorns and the rest with fez or straw hats.  pants of white or blue colour and most jackets in blue. shirts always white. The unit should Carry Western rifles (maybe old french muskets) and bayonets!
argsilverson

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »
Just show the hannoverians of warlord, and I also suggest few figures waering the peaked cap, which was usual in Germany of the time.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 02:37:24 PM »
Here are some figs from Perry Miniatures, which I thought could be painted in the colours of the old Septinsular regiment
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:44:03 PM by Shipka »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »
they look very shiny with full uniforms.

the best is to mix and match, brtish legs with french chasseurs torso and german cap! and vice versa,
good also to use the fez of the perry sudan bashi-bouzouks (or better your sculpted heads I saw in some earlier post!)

Offline Christopher

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 11:40:23 AM »
According to the Osprey on Napoleons Balkan Troops, the French raised three main corps on the Ionian Islands.  Firstly the Albanian Regiment composed mainly of groups of refugees. It seems to have been pretty unreliable and fell apart when the French left. Members wore traditional Albanian costume. The second corps was the Septinsular Battalion raised primarily from the local population but also including Austrian prisoners. The uniform was French light infantry style. The battalion was disbanded in 1812 on the grounds that it was useless. Lastly there was a squadron of mounted chasseurs recruited from the natives. They wore green jackets with dark red facings.  The squadron was evacuated to France in 1814.  Not sure how much any of this helps with the uniforms at Peta.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »
I chose to model the Ionian sharpshooter I had sculpted on civilian dress this makes him multifunctional
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:02:05 PM by Shipka »