Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:13:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690322
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Leaderboard  (Read 94449 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Leaderboard
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »

That was a good LPL season once again. Thanks to the Prof for running it again this year.

I’m currently looking at my past entries on the library computer and I cans see that I really need to improve my photography skills for the next LPL. On the library computer, my pictures look either too dark or too bright… and are often "grainy". I’ll try do better next years! lol
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 01:42:52 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
Whilst I agree with a percentage points score I have a slightly different take on possible anomalies.  The bonus points system, whilst a good way of generating new entries, does skew the totals. I achieved a much higher final postion than I expected, beating some (my opinion) much better painters purely on the bonus point scheme.  Whilst I am pleased with my result, I am not sure it was earned through my painting skills alone. 

However I realise that no system is perfect and there will always be winners and losers however you define the competition scoring system.  I am entirely happy to abide by whatever rules/point systems the adjudicators set out.  They do a fantastic job in setting up and running the LPL. And of course you cannot please all the people all the time.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »
Whilst I agree with a percentage points score I have a slightly different take on possible anomalies.  The bonus points system, whilst a good way of generating new entries, does skew the totals. I achieved a much higher final postion than I expected, beating some (my opinion) much better painters purely on the bonus point scheme.  Whilst I am pleased with my result, I am not sure it was earned through my painting skills alone. 

However I realise that no system is perfect and there will always be winners and losers however you define the competition scoring system.  I am entirely happy to abide by whatever rules/point systems the adjudicators set out.  They do a fantastic job in setting up and running the LPL. And of course you cannot please all the people all the time.

The same could be said about the effect of 'staging' where (IMHO) crisp photographs of better painted models before a blue gradient background lost against fuzzy shots with lots of scenery because voters wanted to 'reward' the extra effort. You don't necessarily get points because you're a better painter, but because you're a better set builder/photographer.

I guess it goes with the territory, if you want to gather more votes - provide some staging and try to take better pictures. I for one think I've improved my miniatures photography skills over the years, thanks to the LPL.

One could argue that the same goes with bonus points, to do better (if that's your ambition)  you have to follow the theme.
I for one like the bonus rounds, they invite the participant to leave their comfort zone. In the past years I've bought and painted Dark Age, WWI, 'large pirate-themed' scenery and other things I would never have done by myself.

To be honest - full bonus points is also the only way I manage to finish in the middle of the pack...
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 06:13:24 AM »
Good points. Speaking as someone who really only made it to the where he finished because of bonus points and staging, I agree with Hu Rhu. I was frankly shocked to finish above amazing painters who are much more skilled than me, like Prof. Witchheimer, Neldoreth, Hammers, Nord, Zoogla, Blue in VT -- the list goes on and on. But as the Prof said, it IS a grind. You do earn your points by submitting new entries. You earn your points by painting up the themes -- even if they're outside of your wheelhouse like WW I. I mentioned it on my round 9 (I think) entry, but I literally set my alarm clock to go off every hour one night so I could finish up the basing, working a little, letting it dry, waking up again, etc. If you want to cover all the bases, and submitting that new entry matters to you, you will finish higher. If you are fortunate enough to have the photography equipment and software, and the artistic eye, you'll snag more votes than you might otherwise. I admit that when two entries are neck and neck, I vote for the Cecil B. DeMille over the minimalist.

So, what is my rambling opinion? The only change I recommend is the one the Prof has already endorsed: percentage for vote points. I was whining like one of my middle school students when he said no "inset" photos this year. But you know what? It sure took me a lot less time to submit my entries! And on the 2-3 times I flirted with the deadline, that made a difference.

Good discussion, folks! And great LPL...!!!

Mike Demana