Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686626
  • Total Topics: 118115
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bonkers ideas collection  (Read 3305 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Bonkers ideas collection
« on: March 22, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
Every now and again I get completely crazy idea's that sound good to begin with but get far too complicated, not to mention expansive, when I start thinking it trough further. Still I like to share these idea's from time to time so I thought why not make a topic? You gents should feel free to share your completely crazy never going to do it idea's as well, somebody else just might.

My idea of the day is pretty strongly based on Disney's treasure planet. Take some cheap 1/900-1/1100 age of sail ships. Porthmouth has a few decent ones fore pretty cheap. Put them on flying stands, maybe round out the bellies a bit more. drill some torpedo tubes into their fronts.
I always liked the brigade games 2mm terrain, I always want to make dioramas out of them. Those would look so cool on floating islands! connect a few of them with bridges and bridages train rails. Maybe some removable fortification on points? Planetoid defence posts as well. Dockyards with ships and maybe digs as well.
Rules to play it then? Full thrust. class 1 weapons could be swivel guns. class 3 can be used as broadsides. One per deck of guns each side. Engines become sails. add those torpedoes. Fire control becomes gun crews. Point defence guns are just personal arms.
Do we need Point defence? ofcourse! take a 3 deck ship and drill out a deck or 2, insert some boards. (pirate style) perfect carrier for earonef style fighters.
Talking about earonef, get a few of those and give them side paddles, perfect ironclads. Use the armor rules from FT only for them. Maybe a few digs from brigade games earonef ranges for variety? The pirate sparr torpedo boat makes a awesome assault dingy, give it a subminutions pack, great close range one shot weapon.
But a good pirate story has sea monsters as well right? And full thrust has rules for living ships, so ad in a fleet of living ships from one of many space-ship ranges. The batlefleet gothic tyranids are rare but look very sea monster in space to me.

Don't think full thrust as rules for boarding, need to add those in.... ARG this would cost me at least 150 euro's to do the way I want, still that's not that bad for a crazy idea.

so what stupid idea's your never going to do did you guys come up with lately?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Bonkers ideas collection
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
Take some cheap 1/900-1/1100 age of sail ships. Porthmouth has a few decent ones fore pretty cheap.

Cheap interests me. But where are they?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:42:46 AM »
Cheap interests me. But where are they?

As mentioned, Portsmouth miniatures, they aren't the best and could use some work, but at least I wouldn't feel guilty drilling torpedo tubes into them.  lol
http://www.portsmouthminiatures.com/

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:10:18 PM »
That sounds like a good game, it's not "bonkers" at all.

However...do your game, but do it in 1/72 scale!
Use
These for the Ships.

and these for the Men.

Now that would be an excellent game, that might be a bit bonkers.  Still, it's something I would totally do.
- Scott