Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:17:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Absurdity  (Read 1812 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Absurdity
« on: November 02, 2014, 05:49:41 PM »
Mods, you will lock this, I'm sure, and that's fine. I just want to say it.

I don't play modern wargames at all and probably never will. I have no stake in this whatsoever.

But I can't say that I approve of the decision to ban all talk of modern war, period. The ISIS problem smells quite frankly of a rationalization, a rationalization used to save people from having to confront anything even the least bit controversial. It is a cheap and easy way out of a problem that really isn't all much of a problem.

If there are specific legal issues with ISIS, these can be dealt with in the same manner as the legal issues when discussing or posting images related to world war two. In fact, existing procedures for discussing Nazi material already demonstrate that the board's international membership is more than capable of following more detailed rules pertaining to specific German legal issues.

If there is a specific inflammatory discussion going on, then that particular discussion can be shut down or placed on very narrow rails, such as the Ukraine thread. It's already been demonstrated that we are capable of also doing this and abiding by such rules. After the restrictions had been placed on that thread, everyone was observed as following the rules and not trying to "sneak in" a discussion around the moderators.

There have been disagreements at time, but I have found LAF's membership to be more mature and reasonable than almost any other forum I go to. Requests made by the moderation staff are almost always both respected and obeyed by the membership (although decisions like this one sure do strain the credibility of the staff and push the membership's tolerance).

It is enormously disappointing that the board's own moderation staff are not able to recognize this and has taken a very easy, lazy, and incredibly heavy-handed way of dealing with what is ultimately a minor issue. And this is especially worrisome given the staff's tendency of late to shut down any category of talk that is making them the least bit uncomfortable. Are we really reaching the point where we have to wonder what is the next whole subforum or time period we will have to pretend doesn't exist?

I have avoided throwing around nonsense cards like "free speech" or "censorship" - this is the admins' board and they are completely free and totally in the legal right to decide what is and isn't allowed for discussion on their boards. But I would also be quite understanding of someone who was upset and did choose to throw those or other terms around, because one-sided decisions like this create the very sort of uncomfortable atmosphere of which discussion is being forbidden.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Absurdity
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »
Fully agree,

we lost a good, open minded, polite, and knowledgeable area of discussion.

Arrigo (who proudly plays and study  contemporary warfare).
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Absurdity
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
Mods, you will lock this, I'm sure, and that's fine. I just want to say it.

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

I have avoided throwing around nonsense cards like "free speech" or "censorship" - this is the admins' board and they are completely free and totally in the legal right to decide what is and isn't allowed for discussion on their boards.

Partially correct, the forum is owned by one individual, who gets to decide what is allowed on his forum, or isn't. Free speech is a facet of a democracy in which everyone has an equal share of expense and risk. In a hypothetical case a member breaching German law by posting something prescribed is not held accountable for it, the forum owner/host is.

Incidentally there are no 'staff', just a number of members who devote their free time for the benefit of the forum and other members. This task is of course made much easier by the bulk of the membership being perfectly reasonable and amiable people and indeed a pleasure to associate with... it only takes one who isn't though and I'm sure we all know someone like that.

Topic locked.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 06:35:59 PM by Arlequín »