Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 07:35:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697711
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ĦEn el filo! SCW Campaign - updated 16/05  (Read 20111 times)

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
Re: ĦEn el filo! SCW Campaign - updated 02/05
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »
I seriously need you guys to move  a few miles down the road, into the wilds of Norfolk. Would love to get involved in games like these.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2014, 05:38:01 AM »
I seriously need you guys to move  a few miles down the road, into the wilds of Norfolk. Would love to get involved in games like these.
Or,  you should come up when we host a SCW/CoC gaming day one wkd.  :)
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2014, 05:58:42 AM »
Another top game in our Chain of Command/CoC campaign if I say so myself.

However,  there is a horrible inevitability about where this is going. As the Commander of the Milicianos,  you really start to feel events closing in. The lack of support from HQ is starting to take its toll and options are limited.  What I would do for a tank or air cover! Mind you, could you imagine what support the Nationalists would have for me to get that?

Green troops are so unforgiving.  Taking them in 20s at least gives them some tactical weight; the Moros have to respect their ability in hand to hand fighting. Paul is too canny an opponent though to get too close without overwhelming firepower present. I made a huge mistake putting a team of 5 men in the hard cover on my right.  The loss of those 5 cost me dearly in the post-game round up, affecting the mens morale.

So we retreat. I couldn't hold the line without my troops being decimated by the firepower the Nationalists have in LMG sections.

Game 4 will be a Delaying Action scenario ...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:39:45 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2014, 06:53:05 AM »
...sounds to me like you need some way to negate the Regulares firepower and lay down some of your own.

...knock one up  and surprise him...you might even take out the Pz 1 for good.  :D

...no doubt he'll be looking to take Tank Hunters the next time you meet!  :(

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
Thanks for yet another great AAR gentleman.

So it boils down to republicans lacking good support or good dicing and/or good tactics by the nationalist side?

I will have to get the CoC rules and the AtSE supplement next week, too bad I missed out on the special offers :/

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
If only ...

I have the models available. The trouble is, in the campaign setting, my Support is 50% of Scrivs' (rounded down) -1 for lack of confidence from my CO (the Stalanist pig!)

Paul would have to roll a 10 for support for me to get access to a level 4, BA-3/6 or T26B.

With hindsight, I would have taken an Army officer adviser from the beginning rather than the Flag*. Only having 4 x Command dice is a killer against superior quality troops, and especially those that can move 2D6 and still go Tactical.

Also, It's not uncommon for the Moros to have two or even three consecutive phases with their 6 Command dice [rolling double 6].

In short, the People's Militia really have their hands full with the Regulares.  As should be the case ...  :)

*and used the Renault FT (MG) Tank more often
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:27:01 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
So history repeats itself, you put up a good fight but…

So you would need to have good luck with the support rolls to get something better then?

How long will the HQ let your commander be in charge before they sent a new rep lament? :)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »
Thanks for yet another great AAR gentleman.

So it boils down to republicans lacking good support or good dicing and/or good tactics by the nationalist side?

Oh, I wouldn't say that. In a one off game, the Milicianos get 15 points of Support before you even start on the scenario. You could really fill your boots! But, you have difficult decisions what to activate,  with limited dice.  In the Campaign,  I opted to boost my troops with Hardened Militia and Asaltos from the off, rather than on vehicles etc.

I can honestly say that CoC is the best SCW/WW2 game I have played.  And it is even better in a Campaign environment IMO where you really have to husband your resources.

Best, James

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »
The campaign part interests a great deal, so it's good to hear it works like a treat. I also like the idea of scouting with placing of the jump-off points etc.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
...well, you have given the Moros a few runs for their money...looking back the games are actually quite close...that's how they seem anyway.

It also sounds like you are up against a Regulares leader who plays to his men's strengths and doesn't squander his resources with fruitless attacks....a wiley Africanista indeed.

It also seems you guys are getting very good historical results, even if the Milicianos have been on the receiving end of it all.....reading the AARs has a really nice historical feel and flow to it and to my mind, with that, you are both having a good deal of success.

6 dice vs 4 is indeed a tough ask and the biggest point of consideration for any militia commander...do not overburden the command and control dn try and get as much of it as you can...the Army officer Advisor is a good choice along with the El Hombre.

..hang in there, the republic is counting on you!.... :D

if things are going backwards constantly you might consider a campaign 're jig' by allowing the militia forces to call in another force to (help) stop the advancing Regulares with a more determined foe e.g. Steel Companies of the 5th regiment?

....I'm sure the republican paper can spin that some how ;)

Happy W

PS you guys really are showing CoC:Espana using At The Sharp end at its best...cracking stuff and just shows what a fruitful environment the SCW is for varied actions.....nothing beats it!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:07:39 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »
So history repeats itself, you put up a good fight but…
EXACTLY - NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT IF YOU CAN STOMACH THAT KIND OF GAME. ITMIGHT BE WORTH CONSIDERING A LIMITED PHASE/GAME TURN THOUGH,  TO FORCE THE NATIONALISTS HAND
So you would need to have good luck with the support rolls to get something better then?
AS I MENTIONED, YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY YOU TAKES YOUR CHOICE.  I COULD HAVE TAKEN LESS MOTIVATED MILICIANOS AND NO ASALTOS AND HAD A T26 AND LARGE TIZNAO FROM THE BEGINNING.

How long will the HQ let your commander be in charge before they sent a new rep lament? :) TO THE END [GRIN]

See ABOVE. J

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
...well, you have given the Moros a few runs for their money...looking back the games are actually quite close...that's how they seem anyway.

It also sounds like you are up against a Regulares leader who plays to his men's strengths and doesn't squander his resources with fruitless attacks....a wiley Africanista indeed.

It also seems you guys are getting very good historical results, even if the Milicianos have been on the receiving end of it all.....reading the AARs has a really nice historical feel and flow to it and to my mind, with that, you are both having a good deal of success.

6 dice vs 4 is indeed a tough ask and the biggest point of consideration for any militia commander...do not overburden the command and control dn try and get as much of it as you can...the Army officer Advisor is a good choice along with the El Hombre.

..hang in there, the republic is counting on you!.... :D

if things are going backwards constantly you might consider a campaign 're jig' by allowing the militia forces to call in another force to (help) stop the advancing Regulares with a more determined foe e.g. Steel Companies of the 5th regiment?

....I'm sure the republican paper can spin that some how ;)

Happy W

PS you guys really are showing CoC:Espana using At The Sharp end at its best...cracking stuff and just shows what a fruitful environment the SCW is for varied actions.....nothing beats it!

I agree whole heartedly with this post by Rolf.

Paul and I are having absolutely cracking games which we're both enjoying.  And they are closer than some of you may think.

He has been VERY lucky with the majority of his Force Morale rolls, to such an extent that I have taken to using Scrivs' dice!   lol

We do have a couple of surprises in store for you, dear readers, but I dont want to give the game away  ;)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »
Paul and I are having absolutely cracking games which we're both enjoying.  And they are closer than some of you may think.

...and we are all enjoying the ride...that s for sure!  :)

He has been VERY lucky with the majority of his Force Morale rolls, to such an extent that I have taken to using Scrivs' dice!

..yes!..if you look back it seems almost impossible the 'luck' the Regulares have had some times...so close to falling away but somehow they manage to just pull it from the fire....beggers belief....so there is no truth to the rumour that they will be ebay auctioned when his sipping his coffee in Plaza Mayor!

We do have a couple of surprises in store for you, dear readers, but I dont want to give the game away

...please don't, we all love a surprise....

...and I've got a few of my own  ;)...Scrivs may have even told you!

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
He has indeed.  I have my own thoughts on a couple of those too  :)

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
At the risk of sounding a little bit pervy, I shall be getting my copy of CofC out over this long weekend, and having a play about with myself :o
Once I'm happy I have the general idea of how they work in my head, I shall head up the road, and inflict them on my gaming pals at New Buckenham Historical Gamers. :D