Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:32:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690641
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Marder III, the little assassin  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
Marder III, the little assassin
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »
I love German tank destroyers. In most of my games I like to bring at least one and this Marder III is a great little tank destroyer. More images on my blog: http://www.the-wargamer.com/marder-iii/

...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
Re: Marder III, the little assassin
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
I love the Marders as well, but usually these practically unarmored tank destroyers don't fare too well under most rules.
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:33:44 AM »
I love the Marders as well, but usually these practically unarmored tank destroyers don't fare too well under most rules.

You correct. I play Bolt Action and the open top is a big disadvantage - actually this reflexes history. Their light armour, high profile and open top was their down fall.

At least they look cool  8)

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:44 AM »
You correct. I play Bolt Action and the open top is a big disadvantage - actually this reflexes history. Their light armour, high profile and open top was their down fall.

They need to shoot from ambush or outrange their opponent seriously, preferably both, then immediately retreat to next position if you didn't kill all the opponents. The open top is less of an issue, because if you got enemy infantry crawling all over you, you did something seriously wrong.

The problem is that most rules are designed for tank-on-tank battles and that's just not the way to use these guys.

Most rules omit any kind of spotting, because it's a bit of a hassle to work out on the table and many players feel it's boring. But it's really a key to using stuff like this -- and regular AT guns, MG nests and the like. If the enemy knew their positions before attack, they'd call arty down on their heads before attacking...

The purpose of many infantry probing attacks was really to find the positions of these defenses, but when was the last time you saw a scenario like that in a game?

Consider the 88: It's big, it's high profile, it doesn't even have a gun shield.

But it can reach out and kill things before they have a chance to shoot back. And in many rules it's weirdly more survivable because it isn't classified as a vehicle...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
Lovely stuff
What scale?
Who makes it?

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
Super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 12:16:16 AM »
They need to shoot from ambush or outrange their opponent seriously, preferably both, then immediately retreat to next position if you didn't kill all the opponents. The open top is less of an issue, because if you got enemy infantry crawling all over you, you did something seriously wrong.

The problem is that most rules are designed for tank-on-tank battles and that's just not the way to use these guys.

Most rules omit any kind of spotting, because it's a bit of a hassle to work out on the table and many players feel it's boring. But it's really a key to using stuff like this -- and regular AT guns, MG nests and the like. If the enemy knew their positions before attack, they'd call arty down on their heads before attacking...

The purpose of many infantry probing attacks was really to find the positions of these defenses, but when was the last time you saw a scenario like that in a game?

Consider the 88: It's big, it's high profile, it doesn't even have a gun shield.

But it can reach out and kill things before they have a chance to shoot back. And in many rules it's weirdly more survivable because it isn't classified as a vehicle...

To be honest, I do not think Bolt Action allows for these sorts of realistic (oh how I hesitate to use that term) scenarios. Chain of Command would be preferable for those sorts of things.

For example, CoC has no rules for Flak88s. they are too long ranged to be used on a table, at most they could be an objective.

By the way, very nice tank; I am a fan of the Marder myself too.  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:59:07 PM by warburton »

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:24:42 AM »
Thanks guys.

Lovely stuff
What scale?
Who makes it?

Scale: 1/56
Brand: Warlord Games

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 06:32:58 AM »
Excellent work  8).

Darrell.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 04:33:26 AM »
Lovely work...the Marder is one of my favourites (as it almost anything built on the 38(t) which was a gem of a little tank)

I do think almost no rules accurately reflect the employment of tank hunters though.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Gothic Line

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
 A fantastic model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!