Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:21:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for alternative Warhammer Quest minis  (Read 5209 times)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Looking for alternative Warhammer Quest minis
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
Title says it all really. I'm looking for some high-quality, collectable single figs to acts as heroes for Warhammer Quest. I've just pre-ordered the Statuesque minis http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=64990.0 and want something that'll work well with them in terms of style and overall look. The heroes I'm particularly interested in are:

Knight
Witch Hunter
Dwarf Slayer
Warrior Priest
Imperial Noble

I'm not against GW by any stretch. I'm only asking because I have the rules for the above, but no models, and the old ones are OOP. And those Statuesque minis are so nice that I want something to match them. The knight in particular is important - a good fantasy knight that's not necessarily Bretonnian.

Cheers!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for alternative Warhammer Quest minis
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
Oathsworn do a cool slayer, probably not the same style really though

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »
I get the impression that Statuesque will be releasing a dwarf berserker at some point, so you may want to hold fire a little while for that one.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:08:19 AM »
Spend an hour crawling through the vast Reaper range and you'll find something suitable.  Scibor and some other companies do plenty of notWarrior Priests.  The Noble from WHQ looked more like a pirate/pike&shotte mini so maybe look there for inspiration.  Dwarf Slayer you could grab a box of Avatars of War slayers which are nearly identical - if you're in the states I can even send you a sprue if you don't want the whole box.  They're rather GW-ish.

Witch Hunter, not sure - plenty of Solomon Kane like figures around though.  I do think the Statuesque minis are good for the main characters though.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »
I like this thread! :D

I do have a dwarf berserker coming a couple of months after the first figures are on general release. And I'll slowly be working my way through different character types though that doesn't help short term.

One of my favourite ever figures is the mordheim Freelance Knight. Big influence on these figures, but unfortunately he's oop, though you may find one on eBay. He'll be my knight, at least until I've sculpted my own. He's got a pretty big nose too! ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:44:39 AM by Andrew Rae »

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:48 AM »
Andrew, I totally agree. Last year I sold my Freelance Knight on eBay, really regret it now I've started this project. If you were to do a fantasy knight in this new range, I would be happy indeed!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
Elbows, very kind but I am in the UK. I'm considering either waiting for Andrew's Berserker, or investing in an AoW metal slayer now, you're right they're rather darned nice!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »
I have an AOW dwarf, the one with handgun, not the berserker. It is huge, far bigger than my other dwarfs. The plastic dwarf berserkers are more like GW scale. If scale is important to you, worth bearing in mind.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »
Good point - thanks for that!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
Normally, I'd immediately reccomend Hasslefree or Otherworld miniatures for a project like this. (They either are, or will be, a large part of my dungeoneering collection.) But I'm not certain how well their particular styles would fit with Statuesque's lovely offerings. Maybe Heresy miniatures would be something to look at?
They have some figures that would be useable as a knight/paladin and a nice, but somewhat atypical warrior priest. They also have a Witch Hunter, but he's a halfling...

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »
I don't own any so can't be sure, but I think some of the Kev Adams Otherworld adventurers might match ok. They look a bit chunkier and more caricatured than the other sculptors' work in that range. Might grab a couple myself to see.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »
Hasselfree seem the nearest in terms of clean lines and clutter free sculpts, with the more modern take on proportions. Otherworld hark back to last generation of sculpts in my mind. It's horses for courses I guess, but I would certainly take a look through the Hasselfree range - Syr Olwyn would make a fine knight/noble for example. Some nice female characters too, though most of them would be shivering in your typical cool, damp dungeon.  ;)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
Heresy Miniatures do a variety of suitable models which might work.

In addition, some of the Hasslefree figures could fit rather well (I'm sure there's a berserker dwarf gal for example).

Finally, you might have a look through Privateer Press's models - although most of their old RPG miniatures (the "Iron Kingdoms" line) have since been rolled into the main Warmachine/Hordes lines, you can still get the original-packed minis from many places for about half the price. Harlan Versh is a great example of a model moved from the IKRPG into WM, but there's a few others too.

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 02:33:17 PM »

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
You should also check Scibor Miniatures, they are similar in style, though maybe a bit chunkier? Unfortunately I have no idea of their scale. There is a pack containing a noble/knight, a witch hunter and a warrior priest, worth a browse.