Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: The Ragna Rock Pts 1, 2 & 3  (Read 10197 times)

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: The Ragna Rock Pts 1 & 2
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 11:49:03 PM »
Excellent!

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »
What a great report. That was loads of fun to read. The initiative system is really clever. We often play three player and it becomes even more interesting then.

Pulp Alley-meets-Inquisitor gives purpose to all those weird cherubs, living dot matrix printer guys, and other weirdness that I have accumulated over the years.
Which are the most fun figures, I reckon!

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »
Love the update! Looking forward to Game 3!

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
That's it, Paul! You've sold me on the system. I'll come back for a proper read-through, but the reports look very good and the games looked exactly like what I'd like to play.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
Been reading through it and the Pulp Island (the weird expansion that's kinda mandatory) after I bought them based on this thread. Really happy I did! I like that it integrates things like gear/tech into abilities and dice level. No need for lots of fiddly extra bits to represent Power Armour or Stealth fields... just up the dice level or take the appropriate ability / perks.

Great stuff! Thanks again!

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 01:15:41 AM »
Love the "Featheren" and Agent C!

Well told!

Agent C is Copplestone?

What are the Featheren?

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 11:33:07 AM »
Thanks for the feedback folks.

What a great report. That was loads of fun to read. The initiative system is really clever. We often play three player and it becomes even more interesting then.

I find writing these reports hard, but if I dont try then I wont improve, so thanks for the encouragement.

I am very much looking forward to three and maybe four player PA games, just to see how the initiative system will make the game feel under those circumstances.

Which are the most fun figures, I reckon!

Its true.  Every game features various guys with guns, but it good to bring the non-coms and the techno dark age sort of weirdness that features in the background of 40K illustrations to the tabletop.

That's it, Paul! You've sold me on the system. I'll come back for a proper read-through, but the reports look very good and the games looked exactly like what I'd like to play.

I hope that you enjoy it Mattias.  It fits the niche that my group and I have been trying to fill for years now.  No game can be everything to everyone of course, but this ruleset has beaten all others that we have tried over the last number of years by a long way.  Even if I never play it again (barring calamity I certainly will play it again) I still got my moneys worth from the rulebooks by playing this three game campaign.  Let me know how you get on with it.

Been reading through it and the Pulp Island (the weird expansion that's kinda mandatory) after I bought them based on this thread. Really happy I did! I like that it integrates things like gear/tech into abilities and dice level. No need for lots of fiddly extra bits to represent Power Armour or Stealth fields... just up the dice level or take the appropriate ability / perks.

The ability to add distinctions without getting bogged down in too many individual rules is important and tends to be a feature of the sorts of games that I enjoy.  I prefer a more vague use of rules rather than a specific "this means rigid armour, this means a force field, this means ability-to-evade" approach.  

I just want to paint the miniatures that I think look cool and then get them on the table for fun games with the minimum of fuss. To an extent I dont really want the equipment on the miniature to determine whether I paint for rules mechanics reasons, although I do want the rules to loosely reflect the sorts of equi,ment and abilities that  I deem appropriate.  Its a balancing act, but the PA writers seem to have a similar attitude to me.

Agent C is Copplestone?

Sculpted by Mark Copplestone I believe, but Shane Hoyle, its a Foundry miniature, one of Junos Crew.

What are the Featheren?

The "Feathren" (a term coined by my opponent that stuck a while back.  I like it.  If cold planets can be called "Frigia" and hot planets "Crematoria" then avians can happily be called "Feathren" I think :)

The beaked guys are Avians from CP Models.

Avians blog post.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:28:43 AM by cheetor »

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Loved the reports! This kind of backwater action is my favorite way of experiencing the 40K universe.
You have a great selection of miniatures and terrain, it's a real joy to look at the pictures.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 02:06:50 AM »
Beautiful terrain and great figures! Stunning work, Cheetor.  :-* :-*

I just want to paint the miniatures that I think look cool and then get them on the table for fun games with the minimum of fuss. To an extent I dont really want the equipment on the miniature to determine whether I paint for rules mechanics reasons.

I agree 100%. Pulp Alley really was created for people who like to play. I know how silly that must seem, but I suspect there are some folks that know what I mean.  ;)

Personally I prefer 2 player games, but we tend to play a lot of 3-4 player games because there are more players around.

One funny thing about doing larger games is when you realize there aren't extra rules. The turn sequence and mechaincs of play remain the same, regardless of the number of players.   

HAVE FUN

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: The Ragna Rock Pts 1, 2 & 3
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 11:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

The final scenario from my recent Inquisitorial campaign via Pulp Alley is posted up HERE.  The final installment doesnt included any sex, or drugs, but its jam-packed with rock.

We had a great time with the PA system in a Inquisitorial context.  I thoroughly recommend it :) 

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 12:24:36 AM »
Just read pts 2 &3.

Great FUN!

In our own PULP ALLEY games, the story seem to create a "life" of its own, and we just can't stop devising the most HILARIOUS reasons for the effects of a given Fortune Card, wich only increases the fun level all around.

It seems like your group does something similar.

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Maj Guiscard

• Librarian
    • The Governor General of Sector Six
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 04:14:53 AM »
He doesn't paper...
He doesn't scissor...

HE ROCKS!

(My 10 yr old thinks that is the most clever compliment ever.)

Good job.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »
It seems like your group does something similar.

Yep :)

Space ork rockers notwithstanding, its not a deliberate intention to go out of our way to be goofy, more an appreciation of the various books, TV shows and movies that inspire these sorts of stories. 

(My 10 yr old thinks that is the most clever compliment ever.)

My wifes 37 year old husband agrees ;)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »
Great report and pics!

Sculpted by Mark Copplestone I believe, but a Foundry miniature, one of Junos Crew.

The Foundry Street Violence packs were all by Shane Hoyle (who also did many of the Judge Dredd miniatures).
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
The Foundry Street Violence packs were all by Shane Hoyle (who also did many of the Judge Dredd miniatures).

Of course they were, my mistake.  Thanks for the catch :)