Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SCW 1:72 Frontline Bookmobile preview  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
SCW 1:72 Frontline Bookmobile preview
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:44 PM »
The very first proper bookmobile service in Spain was endeavoured by the Catalan Government, or Generalitat, as a way to bring leisure and culture to the Republican soldiers --even amidst a war.

Conceived in late 1936, the service started working in early 1937 and consisted of a small fleet of at least 3 different adapted trucks/buses, whose task had to be visiting regularly field hospitals and rearguard encampments. The last, sad service of one of these bookmobiles took place coincidentally to the fall of Barcelona in early 1939, when it was used for evacuating as many Catalan men of letters and their families as it could carry, and leading them to the French border safety.

Quite logically, as soon as I learnt about these heroic, peaceful wartimes vehicles I immediately fell in love with them, and committed myself to bringing one of these back to life --albeit at a reduced scale. As usual, we were severely hampered at first by the lack of enough contemporary pictures or blueprints of any kind, but were nevertheless able to guess to some certainty degree make and model of one of them, and soon started working on it (with the valuable help of some GAZ-AA buses/ambulances blueprints).

Well, this is a preliminary view of the thing, at its current stage:

There is a number of elements still to be defined or corrected, such as headlights or optional side vents panels for instance. However, it is already starting to take shape.

When endeavouring such an odd, out from normal vehicle, some degree of pragmatism must be applied on the project itself --if you want it to enjoy a minimum acceptation degree. Following this idea, I told the designer to forecast some interchangeable parts, so as to allow the vehicle to be optionally built not just as a Catalan bookmobile, but a generic Republican ambulance too. These would consist of the above mentioned side panels --more or less like the ones you can see on the ambulance below (...a Dodge perhaps?):

Besides, I also thought it would be useful (and funny!) to device for it a third option, so that the vehicle could be also used as a timeless or what-if bookmobile, valid for virtually any setting you wished --historical or not, but in any case plentiful of humour. Following these criteria, the decals already at printshop are to include markings and letterings for all three alternative uses:

Oh, and last. "There's no bookmobile without a librarian", I told to myself. So the kit would include a 20mm white metal figure inspired on this one below:

Not to be 3D designed though, as we intended at first. Otherwise, she'll be sculpted in the traditional way by Angel Terol --the same guy who's been commissioned our Republican Militiawomen series.

There is not a precise deadline for its release yet. Just for case, we've provisionally scheduled it for next September.

Any comments will be welcome,
Lluís
"Nations that went down fighting rose again, but those who surrendered tamely were finished" - W. Churchill

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: SCW 1:72 Frontline Bookmobile preview
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »
I need one in 28mm!

Nice anyhow
argsilverson

Offline scrivs

• Mad Scientist
    • Scrivsland
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
Agreed, it looks great but would be more appreciated in 28mm.
Scrivland, my blog of wargaming ramblings: http://scrivsland.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
I can imagine it being a very popular model in 28mm too.

As it is though, 20mm SCW has been looking very attractive for some time, what an excellent addition!  :)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
Lluis,

this is no conspiracy  :D but it would be great if you could produce this in 28mm as well.
In fact make everything you have done in 20mm, in 28mm (especially your figures) and I'm sure they would sell like the proverbial hotcakes.
Most urgently needed vehicle= a (Spanish) bus. Seen in many contemporary pictures as the transport of choice by both sides.
Oh yes and please no solid windows :-*
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »
You'd have a winner with that figure in 28mm. I'm just saying ...  :)
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »
I'd buy that figure twice in 28mm - once for the Second American Civil War, and once for my pulp games. And maybe another for "Rocketship Empires 1938". Yeah, 3 of 'em!
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »
Oh, no conspiracy for sure  ::)

Let's see what can be done --that's what I can promise right now  :?

Lluís

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 10:38:38 PM »
I'd buy that figure twice in 28mm - once for the Second American Civil War, and once for my pulp games. And maybe another for "Rocketship Empires 1938". Yeah, 3 of 'em!

Me too. I think about 4!
and if there is some lady friends of her, maybe 4 packs!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
Both would be pretty great in 28mm.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »
I suppose it could give your troops a morale boost ??

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »
Nice!!

Offline David

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »
It has to be 28mm for me too
Cheers