Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:57:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress Charity figure for Ignatieff's appeal  (Read 17822 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Empress Charity figure for Ignatieff's appeal
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »
Many of you would have read of our good friend Ignatiff's appeal. If not I will let Steve explain it in his own words.

"As some of you will know, my younger sister died in May this year of a misdiagnosed melanoma. It started under her big toe and ended up in her brain, and killed her very quickly indeed.  She left behind a wonderful husband and three lovely young teenage girls.  

The cancer spread so fast that I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye to her properly, and so in her memory, and to raise awareness of the dangers of melanomas, I - and two equally unhinged friends, Rodger Williams and Peter Martin - have decided to raise £100,000 for MASScot by taking part in the 2014 Mongol Rally.

The Mongol Rally takes place annually between the UK and Ulan Bataar, the capital of Mongolia.  It’s a three week, eight thousand mile drive, across inhospitable terrain, along some of the worst roads in the world….and all in a car which has an engine no bigger than 1L. And they don't like you to take a 4WD car either (not that that would make much of a difference in a 1L car…).

Our route will take us through Europe, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, across the Caspian Sea, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia and then - finally - Mongolia.  We expect to complete it in three weeks.  And while it will be ‘epic’ in the true sense of the word, it will also be bloody hard work.

The charity we are raising money for is a small Scottish cancer charity, based in Glasgow, called ‘Melanoma Action and Support Scotland’ a.k.a. ‘MASScot’ (Charity Registration No. SC040286).      They were, and continue to be, hugely supportive of my sisters family through these very difficult times.

All money raised through donations and sponsorship will go directly to the charity. All costs will be covered by the three of us.

Can I ask you therefore to dig deep and support something that is very close to my heart and in a very good cause.

You can read more about The Mongol Rally here: http://www.theadventurists.com/the-adventures/mongol-rally

Thank you all for reading this.

best regards

Steve"

As both Keith and I are members of this drinking, sorry wargaming, club and I have known Steve for a few years in our other life  ;) Empress wondered how we could help. In the end we thought that we would do what we do best. We designed and created  a figure especially for this appeal. We also persuaded, although it was far from hard to convince them. In fact we could not stop the little loves, both Paul Hicks and Stewart of Griffin Moulds to donate their services free of charge, as we did ours.

We wanted something funny, in period and that lots of gamers could use for the interwar and WW2 period. The solution came in the creation of the Grandson of Flashman VC.

Boy Flashman, as he is known to the other officers in the mess. Slightly effete and with the good looks and charm of a young David Niven.

This figure will have a limited 200 figure run and will first available at Salute and then via the Empress shop. It will be sold at £3 per figure and the money will go to the charity, as well as a little going to the tax man although we are looking at that at the moment. :?

Please support this cause as it is worthwhile.

Kind regards,
Paul

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Empress Charity figure for Ignatieff's appeal
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »
What a wonderful idea.

Please let those of us not going to Salute know in this thread as soon as it goes on sale so that we can get hold of one.

You may need to do more than 200 though.... ;)

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:15:15 PM »
Great idea, and a great figure.

I agree with Mason though, you could either increase the limited run of 200, or increase the price of the figure.
The good cause and cracking figure would enable you to raise even more money with no problem I would have thought.

I would definitely like one, although I won't be at Salute.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:20:40 PM by Elprez »
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
Happy to help support such a cause ...

Put me down for one at Salute please chap ..
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
Most excellent, put myself & Dave down for one each, we will pick them up at Salute.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »
Can you get me one too, Phil?  :D
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »
Great idea ,worthy cause.

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »
Lost my father to Melanoma in 2006 - rediscovered wargaming to ease the grief.  I'll make a contribution - hopefully you'll send the figure to USA?  John

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
One hesitates to ask when it concerns Flashy (or even his offspring) but what is he holding in his right hand?

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
I would love to purchase one for such a worthy cause.

As I am not going to Salute, and don't know if any1 LAFers attending could do a favour of purchasing one (volunteers?) I hope to purchase one after the Salute.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 12:54:12 PM »
Hi,
Don't worry if you are not at Salute we will put it in the shop we are just drowning in pre Salute work at the moment ;)

He is holding a cigar. I have no idea what you thought it could be  lol

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
At first I thought it was a cut throat razor.
I agree with the above comments, you will need/should do more than 200.
I will try to get someone who is going (I do know of some) to buy one for me, if not I will order one. Either way I must also get some of your Viet-Minh to go with my French.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 01:18:09 PM »
Both lovely and worthy at the same time.  :)

You can put me down for one if there are indeed any left post Salute as I can't make it this year.

Kudos to Empress Miniatures!

Darrell.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »
Oh another cigar ... Its the old "offer them a smoke and then kick them in the nuts" routine ... lol
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:22:27 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
Oh another cigar ... lol

Surely a cheroot?!?  lol

Darrell.