Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic Archers (homemade)  (Read 2357 times)

Offline ducat

• Librarian
Plastic Archers (homemade)
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
I mentioned I had been working on this in a post in Too Bo Coo's great Saga thread, and was asked to supply more details, so here they are.

Bows and Scabbards are GW - empire militia bows with hands removed via scapal (not recommended tool for the job but works for me ;) and some quivers from possibly undead with the gw ubiquitous skulls removed.

Rest are all Conquest Games plastics, (Arms are the infantrys great axe left arms with open hands, and the open right hands from the mounted plastics).

I have twelve done in total, but here are 4 that are unpainted, and 4 painted ones. I think they have come out rather well.

While I am here, here is a couple of shots of four of the Cavalry, featuring some hand painted shields I am also rather pleased with.

Let me know what you think, Cheers, John.

PS - Photos and some blurb are also available on my blog, link in signature.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:41:46 PM by ducat »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Plastic Archers (homemade)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »
Cool, so what's your take on Conquest Games - is it good stuff?  Looks pretty good from here.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:27:31 PM »
^ Second that.

They look a little bit 'flat' on detail/texture, but seem an affordable way of building a force for SAGA (and other systems).

Conquest's webstore is a nightmare to navigate, though... what's the deal with pics opening zoom windows on mouse-over, instead of clicking?? Nearly drove me nuts!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:44:54 PM »
I like them as plastics go. There are 10 mailed bodys and 8 padded bodys in the set, so they are not all flat robed.

one box of each mounted and foot would certainly give you a great resource for a crusader army for the next Saga release, Crescent and Cross. If you can source some bows and crossbows for a few conversions you can certainly build a great adaptable force from them.

It is like anything really, in that you get what you pay for. But with a little effort, you can certainly make a few gems from the sets.

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »
Good stuff - I like it, simple and effective.

I wish the historical plastic guys would include an apocryphal number of bows per sprue. I imagine the sculpting and tooling cost to be massively off set by the number of extra sales. It just opens up the kit to lots of people. Like those of us converting to other historical periods and, especially, to fantasy stuff like LotR and GoT.

The Conquest Norman foot and Fireforge foot (all sets) would be especially valuable if they included 2-4 bows per sprue.

But I'll not beat that horse further in your thread.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
Ducat - would you say they're better than Fireforge?  (or as usual I'd probably get both and bash the hell out of em...)

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »

Conquest's webstore is a nightmare to navigate, though... what's the deal with pics opening zoom windows on mouse-over, instead of clicking?? Nearly drove me nuts!

This. Enough to give anyone the bloody pip, and when you DO click, you can't see anything useful anyway >:(
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:11:11 PM »
Ducat - would you say they're better than Fireforge?  (or as usual I'd probably get both and bash the hell out of em...)

I have to say my own experiance with Fireforge is very minimal. I have only seen the "horse knights", and never examined them really close up.

From what I know of them I would say they were both on a par.

I have done a lot of the Conquest Games plastics now (I sold a breton saga army I made from them) and would have no qualms about purchasing more if I felt I needed them. That is about the best I could say to answer you. Cheap but decent figures.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:40 PM »
This. Enough to give anyone the bloody pip, and when you DO click, you can't see anything useful anyway >:(

I wrote them explaining that they should change it, but I haven't received any answer, yet.

But I digress...

From what I've seen in close-up pics, the Fireforge knights are a bit more varied for poses, but I'll be able to judge that better when Fireforge stops leaning back and sends me my order... from before eastern...  ::)

I wouldn't mind using these Conquest Normans for SAGA, though, if I can find an alternative source. I'll be in a straightjacket before I visit their website again (or possibly after).