Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Miniatures Agincourt to Orleans Plastics  (Read 18421 times)

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
Re: Perry Miniatures Agincourt to Orleans Plastics
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
is there a big diffrernce between the agincourt and wotr style medieval armours and uniforms??

The one thing that's the most notable in my opinion is the differences between the full plate armor. In HYW, usually there was a coat over them with heraldic devices, but in the WotR-era, just bare metal. Take an example from the Perry's:

War of the Roses men-at-arms:

Hundred Years War men-at-arms:

Also, different styles of helmets and armour too. Tho AFAIK, for the end of the HYW, you could use WotR minis with a pinch of salt. Seeing how the war lasted for so long, changes in equipment and tactics was unavoidable.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
The end of the HYW happened at about the same time the WOTR kicked of though didn't it? So that's a pretty sound statement.

However the stuff at Agincourt was very different on a number of levels, the fashion for both clothing and Armour was very different. You had far more variation (this may be more of an opinion then fact) in Armour and Helmet design during Agincourt then say during the WOTR when everything seems to be a bit more samey.

You can also, with a pinch, have some armour styles that were a hundred years old mixed in for poorer lords/fighters etc, with the more modern fashionable kit being worn by the richer, higher ranking men.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »
In the last battles of the HYW, say 1449-1453, there was probably not much difference with the WOTR; but it was already quite different from the 1415-1429 period (which was itself very different from the beginning of the HYW in the mid-14th century).  :D

Yes you can probably have some older type mixed with the more modern ones, but you still need the last fashions. And it's not only about weapons and clothing it's also about training and drill (for example, in my opinion, bills / guisarmes were rare in France in the 14th century; there were many more in 1415-1429, but apparently mixed with other weapons, I don't think there were special units of billmen trained to walk in close order before the mid-15th century at best; etc).

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »
Very nice 3-ups, Indeed a must to add to my Swedish allmoge units...

found these 2 pictures on the perry´s plastic workbench.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
Nice, so I assume these will come out after they release the box set for the armoured WOTR infantry / foot knights which have been on their workbench forever?
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »
Nice, so I assume these will come out after they release the box set for the armoured WOTR infantry / foot knights which have been on their workbench forever?

It seems so. AFAIK they said the foot men-at-arms will be released August/September, and if you go to their website, some additional greens have been presented.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »
In the last battles of the HYW, say 1449-1453, there was probably not much difference with the WOTR; but it was already quite different from the 1415-1429 period (which was itself very different from the beginning of the HYW in the mid-14th century).  :D
That's about right for me...

Things change... 1415 looked different to 1430, which looked different to 1450, which looked different to 1470 and so on.

Okay the changes may have been somewhat stark in some cases, not so much in others and with a lot of crossover between styles in between, but even as early as 1450, someone from 1415 would have looked just as odd as a 1915 British soldier would to a 1950 British soldier and likewise to one from 1985. Don't kid yourselves that 'nothing much changed'.

;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 04:15:28 PM »
That's about right for me...

Things change... 1415 looked different to 1430, which looked different to 1450, which looked different to 1470 and so on.

Okay the changes may have been somewhat stark in some cases, not so much in others and with a lot of crossover between styles in between, but even as early as 1450, someone from 1415 would have looked just as odd as a 1915 British soldier would to a 1950 British soldier and likewise to one from 1985. Don't kid yourselves that 'nothing much changed'.

;)

I really don't mean to be facetious but that is almost like asking if the British infantry in the Crimea looked different to Brits in WWI!  lol

Seriously!

There were many differences in armours and fashion, just like nowadays. If I were to walk down the street kitted out in 1960's gear folk may well have a good laugh (OK, I guess and generation would do just that if they saw me walking down the street in 60's geer! lol). Same in the Middle Ages, people are people after all  :)

Darrell.

Well, that at least makes two of us that think the same. There does seem to be a trend when folk think of the Late Medieval period that things were quite static in terms of armours and fashion- the opposite is true, the Late Medieval period was very fashion conscious!

Darrell.

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »
I am more than a little thrilled by these sculpts, they'll be a very nice Way of bulking out my existing forces. I'm also thinking that they'll go nicely with the forthcoming Medieval rules for both SAGA and Osprey.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
I think I will prepare to refight Agincourt to mark the 600th anniversary on 25 October 2015

The school club are Burning the Whitehouse this summer (1814) but already looking at Harfleur for 2015.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »
If I were to walk down the street kitted out in 1960's gear folk may well have a good laugh

Depends where you live.....

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »

lol

Good retort  lol

Darrell.

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »
Will be getting some of these when they eventually see the light of day :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »
Well, that at least makes two of us that think the same. There does seem to be a trend when folk think of the Late Medieval period that things were quite static in terms of armours and fashion- the opposite is true, the Late Medieval period was very fashion conscious!

Darrell.

Just call me Little Sir Echo  :D

True, I know they'd frown and have nowt to do with such modern fashions in Pocklington, but I thought Scarboro' were reet up wit't times.

;)

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but aren't grey versions of the WIP models further down the production track than greens? Maybe we will see these next year, after all.

For those that know about the period, how different were the French and English styles of armour at the time? Their metal range doesn't provide seperate packs for each, but it seems that there'll be a French and an English box for these.