Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691077
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Pythean Society Polar Expedition (Hammers) vs. Temple of the Jade Buddha (D@rth J@ymZ)

Pythean Society Polar Expedition (Hammers)
416 (87.6%)
Temple of the Jade Buddha (D@rth J@ymZ)
59 (12.4%)

Total Members Voted: 472

Voting closed: April 20, 2014, 12:48:09 PM

Author Topic: Round 4 - Pythean Society Polar Expedition vs. Temple of the Jade Buddha  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
My goodness. He's done it again - another epic scene!
Hammers, have you been secretly preparing for this LPL for the last two years?!!!  lol
Not just fabulous quality but astonishing quantity too  :o

Very neat paintwork D@rth, but Hammers appears to have hit a rich seam of form...  ::)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Another good match up. 

The monks and the scene is excellent.  (That set was going to be one of my choices for this season, but I had to substitute for another due to lack of time.)

The "snow" scene is great too, though the chappie at the back in suit and hat must be freezing!   :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
My goodness. He's done it again - another epic scene!
Hammers, have you been secretly preparing for this LPL for the last two years?!!!  lol
Not just fabulous quality but astonishing quantity too  :o

Very neat paintwork D@rth, but Hammers appears to have hit a rich seam of form...  ::)

The tents and the dog sled are old hat, yes. The Pythean Society members have been primed and based for quite a while, that much is true. The penguins were done Friday and Saturday and involved the employment of child labor at sub-sustenance wages. Before you lily-livered liberals get all riled up about that: the rules do not explicitly prohibit this. The monochrome, bright cherry pink Emperor penguin of CanO'Beer's, the youngest Hammer, did unfortunately not pass quality control. He and his brother Fivers thoroughly enjoyed the experience  anyway and were allowed one hour of unbridled play with the photo set.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
That's a jaw dropper there Hammers.

Great photo D@rth, composition, colors, all spot on. Clean work on the Yin/Yangs :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
I'd like to know the colours used on the monks' skin?

And who makes all those different penguins?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5

He has indeed! That is a very good polar expedition scene with both quantity and quality. Reminiscent of my Mountains of Madness entry from LPL 5  ;) but with some great hustle and bustle action in the scene. I need a couple of those tents for a future project too.

The monks skin is Vallejo Medium Fleshtone as a base and then blended with Vallejo Sunny Skin Tone for the highlight.  It gives a slightly yellow tone as opposed to the standard Caucasian tones found in most flesh colours IMO.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
Who doesn't love penguins!  Two great entries.
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
i like to think that the chaps with guns are thinking "were going to teach these penguins a lesson".

difficult choice this one.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
i like to think that the chaps with guns are thin)king "were going to teach these penguins a lesson".

difficult choice this one.

Yes. Anyone who has seen Madagascar *know* that penguins are up to no good. She was the immediately declared the great antagonist by young Fivers and CanO'Beer, the young Hammerers. She was therefore named Chantel Dubois (which took me a while to get as Fivers' French pronunciation is less than fluent, I'll have to talk to the governess about that. Also, I am not up to date my Madagascar 3 references).

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I'd like to know the colours used on the monks' skin?

And who makes all those different penguins?

The King Penguins are
Mega Miiatures, 10 pieces * 2 poses.
Some other brand, 4 poses.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
He has indeed! That is a very good polar expedition scene with both quantity and quality. Reminiscent of my Mountains of Madness entry from LPL 5  ;) but with some great hustle and bustle action in the scene. I need a couple of those tents for a future project too.

The monks skin is Vallejo Medium Fleshtone as a base and then blended with Vallejo Sunny Skin Tone for the highlight.  It gives a slightly yellow tone as opposed to the standard Caucasian tones found in most flesh colours IMO.

Stonking monks, DJ. I hope to make my own the same justice in the near future.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames

The King Penguins are
Mega Miiatures, 10 pieces * 2 poses.
Some other brand, 4 poses.

Thanks, I know where to find the Mega Minis ones these days... and Copplestone has a few... I don't remember if there were any in some of the old HLBS ranges. At some point, I'll have some pulp gaming set in both the Arctic and the Antarctic (evil scientists and nazis tend to make bases in unlikely places). Besides, I have some ideas for zoo- and circus settings...  ::)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks, I know where to find the Mega Minis ones these days... and Copplestone has a few... I don't remember if there were any in some of the old HLBS ranges.

HLBS... could be, could be. Or RAFM... I bugs me I can't better sculpts and have more varied poses than MM...

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
My god Hammers, how do you dream up these astonishing scenes?  That is truly wonderful. I have to ask, what role does the man and his dog play in this one?
Great monks D@rth, well painted and photographed but up against a man on fire.