Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:23:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan French Senegalese Tirailleurs Command  (Read 5344 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: Artizan French Senegalese Tirailleurs Command
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 10:52:16 PM »
A very useful source both for History and Uniforms (also of their less known foes):

http://www.bedetheque.com/BD-Histoire-des-troupes-de-marine-Tome-2-Les-batisseurs-d-empire-66764.html

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 11:00:14 PM »
Mike Owen is currently very busy with his brand new 2nd Afghan war range, but should he ever consider returning to colonial French subjects, there are a few essential items he has yet to cover  :

* Spahis - there's currently a dearth of those on the market and the few existing figures aren't that great - I'm thinking of the Askari figures here

* Gun crews in colonial infantry uniforms - no guns needed as there already are plenty of 75's around and Brigade Games does the M1906 65mm mountain gun.

* Legion/colonial infantry machine guns - Sidi Bou Othman would not be the same without them. 

* More opposition for the French to blow to smithereens as they don't have much of a crowd to fight at the mo'. There was talk of Moroccan cavalry and a full Tuareg range well over a year ago but these seem to have become lost in limbo.

Note to self : drop Nick Eyre an e-mail and submit the grocery list above to him, in the event Mike might still be in the mood to add to the March or Die range.     

May i add another essential troop type for the French in the Desert: Compagnies Méharistes and  Camel Mounted Tirailleurs..they saw action in Tchad, Mauritania, Niger, Algerian border....in many case they were the only troops sent in action (together with some Camel Mounted native auxiliaries) Vs the famous Tuaregs...again i must stress that to field Légionaires Vs Tuaregs has the same historical accuracy than fielding, during Napoleonic Wars, Spanish Guerillas Vs Swedish grenadiers.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 11:15:06 PM »
You should watch the movie "Fort Sagnonne' (I might have spelled it wrong) w/Gerard Depradieu and Sophie Marceau set in North africa ,pre-war WW1 and ww1,great movie. Very panoramic

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 11:29:55 PM »
You should watch the movie "Fort Sagnonne' (I might have spelled it wrong) w/Gerard Depradieu and Sophie Marceau set in North africa ,pre-war WW1 and ww1,great movie. Very panoramic

Yes Juergen..splendi moovie....i watch Fort Saganne at least twice plus another version translated in Italian..and i also should have the book about "how the moovie was made"...but i should confess that i was more distracted/interested in the "panoramic" view of Catherine Deneuve than Méharistes  ;)

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »
Mike Owen is currently very busy with his brand new 2nd Afghan war range, but should he ever consider returning to colonial French subjects, there are a few essential items he has yet to cover  :

* Spahis - there's currently a dearth of those on the market and the few existing figures aren't that great - I'm thinking of the Askari figures here

* Gun crews in colonial infantry uniforms - no guns needed as there already are plenty of 75's around and Brigade Games does the M1906 65mm mountain gun.

* Legion/colonial infantry machine guns - Sidi Bou Othman would not be the same without them.   

* More opposition for the French to blow to smithereens as they don't have much of a crowd to fight at the mo'. There was talk of Moroccan cavalry and a full Tuareg range well over a year ago but these seem to have become lost in limbo.

Note to self : drop Nick Eyre an e-mail and submit the grocery list above to him, in the event Mike might still be in the mood to add to the March or Die range.     

i totaly agree with your list! particularly

-spahis ( horse and foot in my dreams !!)
- berbères cavalry (in marocco and south western  algeria (the two main theatres with FFL) there were not so much  tuaregs )
machine gun for FFL and tirailleur (algerian not senegalese) ( hotchkiss MG would be better as they were in test in 1905-10 in algeria and marocco)
-gun crew in colonial dress with mule train !

best regards
paco