Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:44:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 528
Total: 533

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon bait miniatures Indiegogo  (Read 10397 times)

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
Re: Dragon bait miniatures Indiegogo
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
Care to share why that was?

Sure...though I want to be careful here...I started somewhat of a ruckus on FB when I mentioned this fact. 

**Disclaimer** This is my personal opinion and I am not suggesting that the figures produced by Otherworld are not fantastic...truly the sculpts are spectacular...but they are not for me...that is my personal opinion... you should see them in person before you deciding for yourself if they are for you**

I jumped in to their KS and got the demihumans set...and the figures were just too small for my tastes...which have obviously be shaped by nearly exclusive exposure to citadel figures from the 80's and early 90's.  I guess I've come to expect my figures to be more "heroic" in scale than Otherworld produces...particularly the dwarves were very diminutive in my eyes. I had hopped that I could use these adventures as characters against some of current collection of (citadel) bad guys for my dungeon games...but when my citadel goblins towered over the dwarfs I knew they weren't for me.  So I sold them on to a more open minded painter.

Again...I love Otherworld and what they produce is of excellent quality...these particular figures were just not for me.

I'm hoping that the Dragon Bait figures are a little more heroic in scale...plus I like the humorous approach to the concept art....and of course Kev Adams doing the sculpting pushed me over the edge.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »

I jumped in to their KS and got the demihumans set...and the figures were just too small for my tastes...which have obviously be shaped by nearly exclusive exposure to citadel figures from the 80's and early 90's.
interesting, would you happen to have a comparison photo I haven't bought any of their human/demihuman figures yet 
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »
Many thanks for taking the time to reply, Blue.

I jumped in to their KS and got the demihumans set...and the figures were just too small for my tastes...which have obviously be shaped by nearly exclusive exposure to citadel figures from the 80's and early 90's.  I guess I've come to expect my figures to be more "heroic" in scale than Otherworld produces...particularly the dwarves were very diminutive in my eyes

Fair comment as the Otherworld demi-humans are scaled to their D&D heights rather than what us old Citadel junkies are used to. So, short Elves and diddy Dwarfs etc.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »
I have some Otherworld minis I've done for my project - they're definitely smaller-ish than some of the Reaper figures, and definitely smaller than some giganto-GW minis, but they're not "proper 25s" or anything that small.  The Dwarfs are small because they're far more realistically proportioned...(think real human dwarfs vs. fantastical dwarf race).  While I'd never want to mix them up in a unit or anything, for a dungeon crawl I don't find them too crazy.  Then again I'm not using many GW ones.  I'll have to start my project thread and get some pics for you guys.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »
I wouldn't have called Citadel "heroic". Not compared to Reaper. When you say "Citadel" you mean pre-slotta, right?

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 12:08:21 AM »
Like I said its a matter of taste...and they weren't for me...that's all.  I don't want to get into a scale debate...and it would lie this thread to stay on the topic for which it was started.

The dragon bait indiegogo campaign is halfway funded!

@elbows...I look forward to checking out any picture you produce...sounds like a fun project.

Cheers,

Blue

Offline Samnite308

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 09:14:41 AM »
Joe sent me a couple sets of the castings for this first group of adventurers (got to send one set on to Kev) But I can take some scale pics to give everyone an idea how the Dragon Bait adventurers size up to other manufacturers.  Joe likes his little people 'meaty' so his dwarves have the heft of an old citadel figure.  I haven't seen the Otherworld dwarves but have heard they are a bit on the slight side.  The halfings and gnomes are smaller than the dwarves but not by much and have a nice weight to them.  The human-sized adventurers would fit in seamlessly with the otherworld types - both being made by Kev Adams.  Most of the adventurers are cram-packed with equipment and supplies - some not as essential as you would imagine - but adventurers are an eccentric lot and these certainly fit that bill.  My favourite is the human cleric - equipped with a cask of fortified 'holy' wine, sausage links, a baguette and his drinking mug.  Between me, Joe and Kev we had a lot of fun thinking up things to equip them with  lol

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
Scale shots would be wonderful...thanks!

I could tell from the greens that these have a bit more of the humor in them that I love about old citadel figures...the equipment "gags" are great.

Cheers,

Blue

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
Some new shots of the greens...including the dwarf and half orc fighter...Also all greens have been delivered to the caster so things are moving right along....that might be the best thing about smaller campaigns like this...the time line can be very compressed if they are run well.

Blue

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »
I like the last fellow - and appreciate the Orc carrying the pig (I watched The Black Cauldron yesterday...lol).

lol

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 12:32:52 AM »
That guy with the tray looks pretty cool

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 04:30:13 AM »
If only I had the spare cash!

Offline Samnite308

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
Here is an image for scale comparison - Otherworld wizard next to the Dragon Bait cleric (both by Kev Adams) and then a wizard from Reaper miniatures.  They are all pretty similar in size

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gHQ4eGvb854/U2NFzUJdSpI/AAAAAAAAAc0/F9Fek1U7ttU/s640/scale%2520comparison.JPG

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
Looks like a very good match especially if you allow for basing differences. Talking of which, the idea of using Dragon Bait style basing for other dungeon bash miniatures is growing on me. Dragon Bait might want to add loose versions of their bases in as a stretch goal, add on or range addition. Easy enough to make yourself, I suppose, though not in metal.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
Here is an image for scale comparison - Otherworld wizard next to the Dragon Bait cleric (both by Kev Adams) and then a wizard from Reaper miniatures.  They are all pretty similar in size

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gHQ4eGvb854/U2NFzUJdSpI/AAAAAAAAAc0/F9Fek1U7ttU/s640/scale%2520comparison.JPG

Excellent!  thanks for that.

Blue