Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691474
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 480
Total: 486

Recent

Author Topic: Deadlands Steamwagon  (Read 7623 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Deadlands Steamwagon
« on: July 06, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »
Okay, I've just typed a rather long post and managed to lose the lot! I'm not typing it again, as anyone interested will get to read a similar post when I write my Deadlands thread, as it's been requested.

To cut to the relevant part, the party will shortly be in possession of a Steamwagon. They are planning to retrieve it after defeating it's prior owners. For fight scenes that involve complications (most of them) I use miniatures as the Savage Worlds rules (the core system for the current Deadlands RPG) are written to make their use simple. Consequently, they'll need a Steamwagon model.

The wagon was described as being built from available materials, not from custom built products, such as available at the manufacturing centres in Salt Lake City. It was described as being driven like a train with the driver at the back, while at the front was mounted an odd looking cannon that funneled clouds of super heated steam.

So, this afternoon I went off to my bits box and produced this......
First couple of pics show scale with a Perry plastic cavalryman, two Westwind gents and the Automaton master from the London Warroom (I should finish painting him one day).

Drivers View

Top view

So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Re: Deadlands Steamwagon
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 11:15:39 PM »
I'm liking the wagon. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 11:21:51 PM »
A fantastic job :-*

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:31:23 PM »
Looking Good!
Weirdly enough I have nearly all the parts you used for that in my bitz box!

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:06:30 AM »
A good looking wagon you have there , PM has a lot to answer for. You are on the slippery slope now you know.  lol. Can't wait to see more.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »
Glad you like it. It's by no means my best looking VSF contraption but the idea was to make it look like a ramshackle prototype. I think I succeeded....

Weirdly enough I have nearly all the parts you used for that in my bitz box!

My bits box has an awful lot of a similar range myself  :D

I was going to ask if anyone could name the bits but even though there are 5/6 different toys/kits involved, it's just too easy for anyone who's been interested in VSF for long  :P

I have far too many half built VSF contraptions....... should really finish off some of them. Some of them have been half built for about 6 years!

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:37:23 AM »
     I have far too many half built VSF contraptions....... should really finish off some of them. Some of them have been half built for about 6 years!

I'm glad I'm not the only one, It was only a few weeks back that I got my first mini varnished lol.
  Show some unfinished pics, it may inspire you.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 02:13:16 AM »

Open gun mounts, now there's a crew of real men!

Ahhh, nothing like a bit of steam and the other sort of fire power for good measure.

Rolling thunder.

More pics when you can?

Thanks for the figs for scale also.
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »
Those wheels are perfect alternatives for tracks! They are just what I've been after for steam artillery tractors etc.

I know you said they were from the bits box, but can you remember who makes them where you got them from?

That's a great looking wagon you have there. It looks just right for Deadlands  :D

Cheers,
Ian

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 09:27:25 AM »
Top, sir, absolutely TOPS!!!  We can all but hope we will not have to face it in the field!   o_o

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »
Those wheels are perfect alternatives for tracks! They are just what I've been after for steam artillery tractors etc.

I know you said they were from the bits box, but can you remember who makes them where you got them from?

That's a great looking wagon you have there. It looks just right for Deadlands  :D

Cheers,
Ian

Ian, GW used to sell similar wheels as accessories but last time I looked I couldn't find them. Instead I had a word with John at Ironclad Miniatures and he kindly sold me a set of wheels from his steam tank collection.

Dewbakuk, great work with the build. My bits box is still in its infancy, one day I'll catch up with you chaps.

Don't!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 01:23:17 PM »
The GW ones were for the Orks I believe, don't think they've been around for quite some time unfortunately.

The ones I used are from one of the Disney Atlantis toys, (actually from two as you only get a pair per toy. They are from the Steamtank set, of which I managed to get many! Conveniently, they aren't used in the Steamtanks construction and as I didn't particularly like the design of the flame thrower cart they go on if you make the steamtank, I have them as spare wheels.

Ian, how many do you need and where are you? I may have some spares if it's not too many.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 03:59:12 PM »
Okay, just undercoated it, so that it looks at least a little presentable for tonights game. I'll try and get it painted soonish too. However, I've no idea what colour to do. Any suggestions?

I've already explained it's appearance above, so, do I go for a wooden wagon with metal equipment? Do I go for a painted wagon? Some painted metalwork? I honestly have no real idea at the moment.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »
Here's the original Deadlands steam wagon they produced:

-J

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »
Yeah, I tried to find one of those, but no one seems to sell them anymore. I'll probably scratchbuild something similar at some point. Not sure on the colours though, possibly too much metal.