Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:29:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Throwing physics out the window.  (Read 10967 times)

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
Throwing physics out the window.
« on: April 18, 2014, 06:48:42 AM »
EDIT: new direction - see post below

I've recently developed a love affair with airships, specifically used in a fantasy setting. In my search for material to get the creative juices flowing, I stumbled across Spelljammer. Before you laugh, I actually really like the idea of airships (think flying boat) in space. Also, my kids recently watched Treasure Planet on Netflix and that got me all excited too. The possibility of smashing a fantasy world with Firefly/Serenity is cool to me. Basically, I thought it would be fun to create a campaign setting for Song of Blades and Heroes that can take place on different planets/asteroids/moons.

So my question is, is there anything else out there in literature, games, or rules that puts elves/dwarves/orcs on space faring vessels but still has a high fantasy skin? Has anyone else done this? How'd you explain the absolute impossibility of a flying wooden ship passing through a planets atmosphere or people being able to breath in a vacuum? Does it even matter?

I recognize that this is not everyone's cup of tea but humor me :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:02:43 AM by doctor_ocks »

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Re: Throwing physics out the window.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »
Sundered Skies is a fantasy setting for Savage Worlds. It revolves around exploring islands floating in a fathomless void, populated by all kinds of fantasy races:

http://www.tripleacegames.com/store/sundered-skies-products/sundered-skies-core-setting/

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:39:27 AM »
How'd you explain the absolute impossibility of a flying wooden ship passing through a planets atmosphere or people being able to breath in a vacuum? Does it even matter?

I recognize that this is not everyone's cup of tea but humor me :)

Wizards! Wizards did it!

Seriously though, thats a pretty cool hook. It opens up a lot of imediate world building thoughts: If wizards are needed to traverse the aether, there'd propably be a "navigator" wizard type on each ship. They might have a guild. Some games could be build around taking out the enemy vessels wizard, or unravelling the wizards guild hedgemony.

Ship to ship battles in the stelar void sounds pretty cool as well.

That being said, I havent got any cool ressource links, only this enthusiastic rant  ::)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:23:15 AM »
Anything John Carter of Mars related should do the trick. Just replace their 'science' with magic and you're good to go.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
There is also the option of removing the space element...and replacing it with a world where you have a lot of oceans...island kingdoms and yet at the same time, flying kingdoms (think Avatar etc. --- huge floating islands in the sky).  Even a planet the size of our Earth would be quite huge if your airship only traveled 15-25 mph/kph while in flight.  You'd essentially get the exact same feel without having to explain the navigation of space/atmosphere etc.  Because the world could be 2/3rds or more water it would also explain why your ship would indeed be an airship...(possibly with a water-capable hull).

Certain parts of the world could have different temperatures, crazy weather, certain islands could be at a higher altitude etc.  It would open up a lot of variety in a slightly easier fashion.  Not trying to steer your designs, just thinking of some options.  I friggin' love Firefly and that whole idea so a fantasy one would be even cooler.  lol  I like where you're going with this (besides you could have gaseous beasts who exhale the equivalent of helium...used to power your ye-olde bag ships... lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
My friend Jennel did the original spelljammer cover.  Tis a classic!

Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

former user

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »
There is also the option of removing the space element...and replacing it with a world where you have a lot of oceans...island kingdoms and yet at the same time, flying kingdoms (think Avatar etc. --- huge floating islands in the sky).  Even a planet the size of our Earth would be quite huge if your airship only traveled 15-25 mph/kph while in flight.  You'd essentially get the exact same feel without having to explain the navigation of space/atmosphere etc.  Because the world could be 2/3rds or more water it would also explain why your ship would indeed be an airship...(possibly with a water-capable hull).

Certain parts of the world could have different temperatures, crazy weather, certain islands could be at a higher altitude etc.  It would open up a lot of variety in a slightly easier fashion.  Not trying to steer your designs, just thinking of some options.  I friggin' love Firefly and that whole idea so a fantasy one would be even cooler.  lol  I like where you're going with this (besides you could have gaseous beasts who exhale the equivalent of helium...used to power your ye-olde bag ships... lol
Yes, this is actually it - the SF version actually came into being when the earth got to small, and what we got is Start Trek style.
a bit pointless to retrostyle it back to wooden ships, since the only other thing You get is problems with physics and a lot of "planets of hats"
liftwood should be enough bending, or not?

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »
Another good source of inspiration, if you're going the space-less route, is the Nausicaa Manga by Miyazaki. It's loads more detailed than the movie and has tons of cool airship designs and fantastic creatures. Final Fantasy 12, from the old PS2 days is a good airship story too, with a floating continent, magic stones that cause airships to fly etc. Worth a look I reckon. :D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
If you're into anima, check out the series"Last Exile". Lots of Airships. And as was said before the Nausicaa manga is a gem. Check it out.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:06:58 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help and inspiration. I'll let you guys know where this ends up!

Offline doctor_ocks

• Librarian
    • My Lego Wargame Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20:18 AM »
I think I'm abandoning the idea of space travel and returning my world to a single planet with airships behaving the way we'd expect them too. I just can't get over space travel feeling cheese-y. Originally I had the idea of the world having suffered some kind of magically induced rending where big terrible monsters came through and turned the world on its head. I really enjoy the anime Attack on Titan, so borrowing from that, I'm imagining the major cities having erected massive walls to keep the nightmares at bay. As previously mentioned all also create smaller villages/settlements out in floating rocks as being on the ground in the wild is the fastest way to get eaten.

This is where the airships come in. They're the fastest and safest way (and sometimes the only way) to get people (and more importantly cargo) from place to place. With that in mind, I had a few questions that I thought some of the more aeronautically inclined amoung us might be able to answer.

The airships I'm imagining would be like traditional "age of sail" vessels - but they fly (equipped with steam engines for lift and a combo of sails and engines for forward movement). Because I'm a nerd about stats and backstory, I started researching ship speeds of the time. Obviously it depended on the wind, waves, ship, etc, but it seems like 10-15 knots was a good speed for a cargo ship like a Galleon. Then I started looking at the WWII era airships. The Hindenburg had a cruising speed of 67 knots. Which is more "realistic" for my make believe fantasy airships? How fast is too fast before crew are getting blown off the deck?

Another question is about altitude. I don't want the crews to have to be wearing snow suits/oxygen masks to be able to survive. The Hindenburg cruised about 650 feet. That feel about right? Obviously that depends on the terrain etc. Again, we're dealing with an open deck and an unpressurized ship.

What do you guys think?

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 05:48:02 AM »
I loved Spelljammer when it first came out.  I endured so much crap from my D&D buddies for liking that.  It doesn't matter how it works; do what you like.  I love magic powered spaceships. 
This is my boomstick!

former user

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 06:35:25 AM »
the problem is not the oxygen, but altitude adaptation. As long as You don't go over 2000m, it's basically ok. if You rise or fall too quickly, it can be a problem

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »
This would all depend on what the atmosphere is like on your planet.  Perhaps high altitude doesn't thin the oxygen as much (or the entire oxygen level used by creatures/beings is higher/lower than Earth).  Perhaps weather is far warmer, so altitude doesn't frost over as much.

Regarding speed - real simple.  Put your hand out the window of your car while driving.  You'll find 10-20 miles and hour is okay.  More than that, namely 60-70 mph would be very tough/nigh impossible to work on an open deck (unless you want guys using carabiners and special equipment to work under such conditions).  Still aerial travel at any speed faster than walking would be a worthwhile venture.  Particularly if able to carry large amounts of cargo.

If you're using magic rifts etc., you could consider maybe the ships traveling on wind currents driven by these magical rifts/tears.  With a dangerous ground-level you can  get cool fortresses built high on mountain tops, re-fitted with food and equipment by airship.  Maybe some risky underground tunnels/cart systems for those who risk it.  Perhaps dragons and other flying beasties who present a serious threat even while airborne?

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
I have a possibly off-topic question about your world. When did the monsters attack out of the rifts? How long ago did the cities build the walls and fortifications, and how long ago did airships become a fact of life? I ask because if the events happened long ago, many of your questions can be answered with "that's how it's always been".