Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689775
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brazil (Terry Gilliam's) SAGA OF NOTJILSTRUK 6TH MAY  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Brazil (Terry Gilliam's) SAGA OF NOTJILSTRUK 6TH MAY
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:19:44 PM »
Has anyone ever tried gaming this?
I watched it (again) yesterday, and have just read the Puppet Wars'Taurus thread http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=65811.0;topicseen, said Taurus being a good proxy for the armoured personnel carriers seen in the film.

On the one hand it could be a straight skirmish style between the Ministry of Information troops and Tuttle's rebels - and a big truck; on the other it could intrude in the dream sequence with flying suits and swords and giant robotic samurai.

Probably one of the ideas I will never get around to do, unless I bump into my old elite Cadians and use them as Ministry blokes. And I have some models I can use as the plumbers. Not being a stickler for accuracy, and drifting beyond film territory, I have a good sub for the samurai. I need a fellow with wings - and a truck! I have been working on some clumsy bits of terrain which I had no use for, and they could just work out in this setting.

As for rules:
Necromunda (the Yeld spyrer could provide the flyer rules) or 7TV - the latter having the advantage of having vehicles; or Pulp Alley.
Any suggestions welcome.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:23:00 AM by Vanvlak »

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
Re: Brazil (Terry Gilliam's)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »
As for Tuttle I found the 7TV fig looking similar.

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/federated-security-commander-mutaints-robot/

Well-spotted! He's perfect!   :o 8)
Thanks.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »
One of my all time favourite films. I'm interested to see where this takes you :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 04:52:45 PM »
One of my all time favourite films. I'm interested to see where this takes you :D

For the moment, it's taken me to the cellar  ;D digging out stored bits and pieces of old spare drain pipes and water pipes. You can't do Brazil without piping!
I'm looking at terrain first. It won't be strict to the film, as I said I'm not a purist, and am looking beyond the film itself. And regrettably, I don't have a cooling tower or space for a 28mm scale one. That said, the first bit of terrain (which I had started before getting the Brazil idea - bizarre!) is 95cm high.

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »

Mine too.

Regarding the dream sequences... what about incorporating them in the game similarly as Malebolgia did in his cyperpunk games (see here)? Some kind of a mini-game.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
Mine too.

Regarding the dream sequences... what about incorporating them in the game similarly as Malebolgia did in his cyperpunk games (see here)? Some kind of a mini-game.
I'd missed that bit! I had been following Malebolgia's thread, but must have been agog at the models and scenery and missed the cyberspace game detail - thanks for the heads up.  8)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:35:13 AM »
Great movie! Great idea! Lots of potential craziness.  ;D

You could design the dream avatars using the rules for Terrors. That will make them super-human.

For some reason, I see a couple "social" scenarios like Guiscard's recent ballrom game -- http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=65682.0

HAVE FUN

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 05:20:18 PM »
Great movie! Great idea! Lots of potential craziness.  ;D

You could design the dream avatars using the rules for Terrors. That will make them super-human.

For some reason, I see a couple "social" scenarios like Guiscard's recent ballroom game -- http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=65682.0

HAVE FUN

Hmm, such as the restaurant scene - or the funeral!
Thanks, this is getting even weirder.

Meanwhile - work on a scenery item has been completed - although not quite Brazil-ian, it can work as a Ministry of Information Security Eavesdrop Receiver (MISER).
Will need to take a few pics of course. In the meantime I also continued on the big useless scenery - the Leaning Tower of Piezo, another Ministry security device.

Meanwhile - any suggestions for printing scaled-down posters or signs of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brazil-MOI-logo.svg
and the 'Help the Ministry of Information help you' poster?
Thanks.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
Thanks Area23 - that will come in useful.  8)
I never noticed that the artwork - especially the father's face - is done in a style very reminiscent of Terry Gilliam, if it's not in fact his own work. Never noticed the dog, by the way.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
As for Tuttle I found the 7TV fig looking similar.

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/federated-security-commander-mutaints-robot/

It may come as no surprise that Brazil in one of my favourite films...
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline The Somnambulist

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »
It may come as no surprise that Brazil in one of my favourite films...

Mine too, always wanted to make a flying Sam. You could use WWII GI's in great coats for the Information Retrieval building guards?
I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
I've got nothing to add, but that I hope SOMEBODY realizes this.

My enjoying the results vicariously is somehow in keeping with Sam's constant Mitty-esque daydreams.

Doug

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 06:50:48 PM »
Not a surprise after seeing that model, ULS  8)
The_Beast, I'm making my board for this and am working on models, but will not make them necessarily identical to the film, although hopefully similar enough (Tuttle will be an exception thanks to that model!).
I'm starting off with models I own and which are reasonably close, but will then scout around for closer replacements, 'Tuttle' once again being a perfect solution.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to make a Ministry Logo based on the one used on the film, but easier to replicate as a raised surface. I do, however, need to get some printable transfer sheets - recommendations welcome.

Will try to post some pics too, although due to work this will probably be in the weekend.