Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:32:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Colonial Space Base  (Read 15430 times)

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
Re: Colonial Space Base
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »
Wow, that air shaft idea is a great one. It reminds me of the Alien movies where the monsters were moving through the air system. That should make for some cool scenarios.

Speaking of rabbetting, I found a cool link from the forums on the WorldWorks site for a Foamboard Rabbet Cutter. I never knew there was such a tool. I'm gonna get one. :) http://www.dickblick.com/zz149/09/

Looking forward to your next installment. Are you going to have the air shaft run over the top of the central passageway? And how will minis access the air shaft?

Luckyjoe

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 08:28:42 PM »
Hi Joe,

The air shaft on this module will only run along the sides.  (Boy, I'm glad I included this feature as it does indeed make it very "Alien" like and that is what I wanted.)  I'll make sure in any other module that there is an air shaft which runs along any space or room.

Today I finished joining all the pieces, cementing them into place and painting the whole interior black.

I have created an "air shaft plate" from the .pdf file which will represent an area where the air shaft can be accessed, like a door.  Am presently working on some small  control panel graphics, copied out of the .pdf, which will be placed randomly inside the shaft.

The interior should be finished tomorrow.  Photo to follow...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2008, 03:26:46 PM »
Interior complete!

Overall shot (Point and shoot camera, color is poor):

Close-up (these panels in this corner of the air shaft may be used as an objective of some sort):

Close-up (taken from the other direction):

Now all I have left is the exterior.  I'll be taking a break though... need to refresh and paint some more mini's.

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2008, 07:00:04 PM »
That looks great, Ray. I like the idea of using the panels as objectives, has all kinds of scenarios popping into my head.

Luckyjoe

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2008, 03:14:26 PM »
 :o

Finished module 1!

I did a few more Colonial Marines and rebased a couple old genestealers.  Here is the whole group of Marines standing in front of the "outside" of the box:

Here is a close-up of inside the box with the figures put in for some action:

And here... alas... is the final module:

I got the outside images from the Mars Base .pdf and I have to admit, I didn't do the greatest with this.  Had to use lots of "hinges" to fill in space.  It's okay though, I think.  Next time, with luck it will be better.

The hardest part was actually joining the inside structure to the outside of the box.  That was a tough job and learned a whole bunch about doing that, making a number of mistakes along the way.  The black paint hides a myriad of "oopes."

Still it was quite fun and am planning to do a new module soon, the entry and loading dock.  This module has it's cover on and is now in safe storage under the bed.   :)

Hope you enjoyed my "trials and tribulations." 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:11:43 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2008, 11:32:59 PM »
Woot! I've been waiting for this.  :) You did a great job. I wouldn't worry about using a lot of hinges, I think it came out nice, and I've always been grateful for black paint to cover up my mistakes. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing your next efforts. The nice thing about this hobby is the more you do the better you get. Unfortunately, you already set the bar pretty high.  :)

Thanks for sharing your work. It was very interesting.

Luckyjoe

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 05:11:19 AM »
This was a Lot of fun watching this thread progress, thanks for sharing your effort (which really paid off) I love the Air shaft! What a cool idea it was to included that. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »
A very inspirational thread, do keep up the excellent work. I'm looking forward to the entry / loading dock area.
Tank? Vot kind of dumbkopf name is that for a Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzer?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »
Thanks guys!

One of the main lessons learned was that, if things are going to be tight where the internal structure comes together with the outside of the box, it is best to put the outside first, than the inside, and then join the two.

For my next module, I will be building up to the first level, doing the outside of the box, and then finishing by building the air ducts before I join the two together.

There is not much more that can be added, construction wise here in the workshop, so I will probably start a Hadley's Hope thread one day in the Future Wars section.

I hope to complete at least two more modules (Cargo bay and Laboratory), a Landing Zone, a bunch more mini's, and some of the superb interior stuff from Antenociti's Workshop.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »
Is that a dog sat in the corner?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »
Is that a dog sat in the corner?

Indeed, that is "Pugsley" the bull dog... he tends to follow me where ever I go...

:)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
I thought my eyes were deceiving me at first.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »
Okay... I lied...

Have decided to continue on this thread to show the progress of my Colonial Space Base.

I am now working on the cargo bay module.  Here is what it looked like after I was finished working with it today:

This has taken me about 8 days to do.  The reason it has gone so quickly is because most of the design "figure it out" stuff was learned during my first go and now I'm using those "lessons learned" to good effect.  I'm also working fast and am not so meticulous such that everything has to be perfect.  Notice on the far side outer portion of the box, I put one panel on pretty badly and had to smash it so that it lined up correctly with the rest.  No matter, once I am finished I'll be putting a strip over the top and you won't see it.

At this point I only need to add a couple inside doors, the air shafts, and some paint to finish the module.

Am also doing a couple more figures and they too are just about complete.

Hopefully the module and the figures will be complete by Monday.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
This is a great project Ray. I can see the possibilities being endless. And, you can add to it whenever you like. Swap out the cargo bay and make it an unfinished mining cavern and you have a moon colony.

Very cool
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2008, 12:01:29 AM »
Very nice. I was hoping you'd post some more on this thread. What size are the boxes you're using? I imagine you can fill a whole tabletop with these. Should make for some great games. I'm looking forward to the next installment.  :)

Are you making any of the interior props from the First Light set for the build as well? I love the Urban Mayhem props from Worldworks but they take me as long to make as the build. Still, they are so worth it.  :)

Luckyjoe