Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My first & second Bones figure 20.05 update  (Read 2965 times)

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
My first & second Bones figure 20.05 update
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
Done with craft paints and 2 GW washes. It just needs a dull coat.

First impressions: A big amount of flash on the figure and soft plastic is surprisingly easy and fun to paint.

C
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:30:25 PM by cyagen »

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: My first Bones figure
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
Looks good. The nice thing about Bones (beyond the price) is that the flashing is easy to cut off with a hobby knife. They're certainly effective and in my opinion the material holds detail quite well.

Hope to see you post some more.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
I'll say this...the Bones stuff shines with larger monsters.  After playing around with a bunch, I'll stick to Bones for trolls/ogres and bigger.  Smaller figures they're a bit "eh".  Oddly I thought the skeletons were easily the worst of the bunch, so well done!  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
Thanks.

This is indeed a not so great sculpt with many problems, but perfect to make a quick test.

I agree that the flash is easy to remove, but I was somehow expecting less of it on Bones figurines.

I also agree that Bones is not for all figures and that it is best suited for bulky, big figures.

But you cannot argue against the price and it provides great entry level figures or cheap one for mass combat units. And in the end, the miniature will still pass the 3 foot test.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »
I'm not too excited about the bones-material either. They tell you you don't need an undercoat, but to behonest I don't see the details on the white figure, so yes, undercoat would be a must for me.
As boardgaming piece material it's quite allright, for wargaming ( 3-colour tabletop quality ) probably too, but if you're  only in the hobby for painting I'd skip these.
Leadhead

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:44:43 AM »
Nice work. I love the bones undeads. So cheap compared to metals (although I love metal) or... resin. Great PJ

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 05:41:02 AM »
I tried two of them about a year ago. One white and one transparent green. They were both too rubbery to trust with paint (the white one was terrible, the transparent one almost OK). The white one had no visible seams, but the transparent one had mad mold misalignment, and couldn't be trimmed or filed without making it look even worse, and couldn't be puttied because... transparent.

Both had detail fidelity that appeared on par with the metal versions though.

Could definitely see it working with big/thick stuff. Good luck you got a wee thin one that worked out. After the ones I experienced, and reading the various conflicting testimonials, I kinda think the material must be very inconsistent from one batch to the next. Price is certainly right, but I don't like the idea of gambling my money on whether this month's batch will be one of the good ones, so I'm kinda turned off to them myself.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:34 AM »
I have a few Bones figures, but only for filler types - cheap dungeon monsters etc.

The upside is the cost, but I agree about the casting problems. One figure I was looking to buy had the same piece broken in three different blisters, so I went with metal for that one.

There's also the need to straighten a lot of them - one of the spears on a lizardmen was almost at 90 degrees. Boiling water followed by cold water works, just don't leave them in the boiling water for more than a couple of seconds ;D

I undercoated mine - just not comfortable painting onto the bare material. Humbrol Matt Black Acrylic spray worked without any problems, which was almost a surprise given how many complaints there are about primers never drying on this material.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:53:04 AM »
A fine paint job can often overcome even the worst of castings. AND you've done a FINE job with the Severely Anorexic One. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »
Thank you for the nice words!

Although I have little talent, I always try to do my best to keep it simple and on this one it worked.

Offline cyagen

• Bookworm
  • Rule Lawyer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 08:29:39 PM »
OK, this was a test to paint grayish undead flesh, again just using cheap paint (except 2 GW washes and acrylic purple ink)...it turned out too purple for my taste, but it still work.

Also there were some weird mold lines on this one...

Finally, I tried to match the base of the fig and build a ruin, but in the end, it ended up looking like the badlands...again it work although I need to crop the bush a little bit.

All in all it now looks more like a mutant from Fallout than the Ghast....