Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question about Celts/Gauls/Early Germans  (Read 1658 times)

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
Question about Celts/Gauls/Early Germans
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:16:23 AM »
I'm guessing most Celt ranges are made for fighting Imperial Romans, but I was wondering what time periods the various celt ranges are good for. Are there stylistic differences in arms and armor that I should be aware of that would separate various periods? Or would say the Warlord and WGF plastics be good from late bronze age up to the fall of the western Roman empire?

And a related question, where can I find information on differences in appearances/symbology of various tribes if such is actually available?

Thanks in advance.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

former user

Re: Question about Celts/Gauls/Early Germans
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:44:32 AM »
Are there stylistic differences in arms and armor that I should be aware of that would separate various periods?
definitely, that is what archaeology is about, basically

Or would say the Warlord and WGF plastics be good from late bronze age up to the fall of the western Roman empire?

absolutely not!

And a related question, where can I find information on differences in appearances/symbology of various tribes if such is actually available?

well, start with some Osprey volumes. Apart from that, You will find very little variability in material culture on the level of "tribe", at least by what is preserved in material and writing, in celtic society. I would claim that symbolism and stylistic feature run along the lines of religion, language and sphere of influence in the late iron age than tribal emblamatics. The analogy with african and north american tribal society You imply can not work on a different level of social organization where identity is created and performed in a different way, like in the iron age.

former user

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:53:16 AM »
however, when it comes to miniature ranges, outfit and accessoires get so mixed up even for well researched and evidenced periods that You better sculpt Your own miniatures or do whatever You want with the available stock.
If I may use the analogy - transferred into the early modern history epoch, when it comes to depicting antiquity in the late iron age and roman period, the available ranges put 30YW together with napoleonics or ACW on the same table.
Come to that, it is then not surprising that some even game almost the whole early modern history with the same rule set... (Yes, this is a kick towards "Black Powder")
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:21:19 AM by bedwyr »

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »
Hello all

Here are 3 good books that you have valuable information regarding diferent periods for the celts plus lots of color images for painting guides.

Concord Publications - Barbarians (Tim Newark & Angus McBride)
Concord Publications - Ancient Celts (Tim Newark & Angus McBride)
Editions Errance - Le Guerrier Gaulois (du Hallstatt à la conquête romaine) - Franck Mathieu

I think you can find the third one in german and english also. Its a book full of pictures of reenactors plus invaluable information for your search because it presents diferent periods and diferent equipments. I bought this book from amazon.fr i think.

Hope its usefull.

Cheers

Rui

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
Foundry did a small range of Bronze Age North European miniatures and they were sculpted by the Perry twins in the late 90's and they are still fairly accurate, if they are still available.

Archaeological finds from the period are still few and far between and the writings we have about the peoples in Europe pre and during the influence of Rome are from Roman writers and we do not know if they record historical fact or what the Roman audiences wanted to hear or read about.

I would like to think that there may have been visual clues of what various tribes people belonged to in the same way we can see regional variation in designs and images on late Iron Age/Celtic coins but no one knows with any real certainty.