Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:45:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old Glory (US) and Warlord Zulus - do they mix?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Cessna

• Bookworm
Old Glory (US) and Warlord Zulus - do they mix?
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
I made the mistake of watching the movie Zulu this past weekend and in a typical fit of wargamer madness I ordered a box of the Warlord Games plastic Zulus, specifically the Zulu Starter Army.

But 120 Zulus isn't going to be enough, is it?

As such, I'd like to increase their numbers. Would you recommend more Warlord Zulus - another Starter Army - or the Old Glory metal Zulus? Do they mix well together? How is the OG line?

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
Re: Old Glory (US) and Warlord Zulus - do they mix?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »
Old Glory has it's dedicated followers like me. The sculpts can sometimes be awkward to say the least and some line are sculpted on the smaller side. I dont mix them with other companies, they just dont feel right. But used together they can look great on the table. I would stick to Warlord Games and Empress. 120 figures, sure thats a good start, I would suggest  rules TSATF that deals with units of 20 figures. You could have a great game with that many figures add in a few leader types. Brits 1/2 as many and some cavalry...I could think of worse ways to spend an afternoon...have fun and welcome to the madness of ZULU...

Offline Cessna

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:07:52 PM »
Old Glory has it's dedicated followers like me. The sculpts can sometimes be awkward to say the least and some line are sculpted on the smaller side.

Yeah, their quality is quite variable. I have some of their "Vlad and the Turkish Frontier" line, and they are top-notch figures. I also bought some of their old Cretean archers, sight unseen, and they're just horrible. That's why I figured I should ask about the Zulus...

I would stick to Warlord Games and Empress.

I'll probably do that, thank you for the advice.

120 figures, sure thats a good start, I would suggest  rules TSATF that deals with units of 20 figures.

I have a copy of Black Powder and ordered a copy of their Zulu book. I'll give Sword a shot; what's the basing like for the Zulus?

You could have a great game with that many figures add in a few leader types. Brits 1/2 as many and some cavalry...I could think of worse ways to spend an afternoon...have fun and welcome to the madness of ZULU...

I have a friend who has already committed to painting the Brits; fine with me, I'm more interested in the Zulus myself. I've painted enough red for Napoleonics, I need to do something different.

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
TSATF is single base. I like Black Powder but after 10 or so games using it for Anglo Zulu war it just still doesnt have the right feel. I think it lends itself great for big units formed in rank and file where the Zulu war was like a BIG skirmish. IMO...And Im just dipping my toe into Nappies...18mm Brits and then 28mm French...

Offline nils

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »
hallo
just dont use Wargames factory zulus they are UGLY!!!!!!
ther is a arm pair holding a rifle in both hands but ther is no body to fit..
i have them some 80s ore so but i dont use them

i use foundry 100+(dont know if they do them now) from a second hand dealer and some blacktree maby 15(love to have more)
but fore me 120 zulu is ok
warlord has a pack of natal nativ contingent that is real cool
and think of the space you can play on
you want  120 models  to move and if its to crody its no fun

Offline Cessna

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:12:16 AM »
and think of the space you can play on
you want  120 models  to move and if its to crody its no fun

Good point. I'll also work on some sort of terrain for those Brits to hide behind. ;)

Offline nils

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »
beter build somthing for the zulus to hide behind!!!!!!!!
they will ned it

Offline Cessna

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »
They have bull-hide shields. That will stop a .577/450 Boxer-Henry round, right?

Right?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:03 AM »
You might want to consider Triumph and Tradegy which has a fine colonial supplement including zulus. There is a dedicated board to it on LAF and its authors frequent the site.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?board=25.0
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »
I have a bunch of the Old Glory zulus.

They are very big and beefy models. Even the shields are thick like tree trunks. Let's see if I can find a pic...

Quite frankly their best feature used to be their price point, but the advent of plastics has changed that... I would much rather buy... just about anything else.

Look into Black Tree. Their zulu war British are nice, no reason to believe the zulus wouldn't be, and I think they have pretty good horde deals considering they are metal models. They are also on the chunky side too, though.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »
There are some Brits/Zulus for sale in the bazaar at the moment:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=66035.0

Offline Mingans Marauders

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 08:59:48 AM »
A friend of a friend was selling a Zulu starter, among other Warlord Zulu War stuff, and threw in a pack of the Factory sets. If you don't mind doing some sculpting and a little work, the extra heads and parts can be used with the Factory bodies. It helps fill out units a bit more and vary up the poses. Sometimes you can get them fairly cheap online. Where I wouldn't say the same about the Brits, I do love the Pith helmets being a sepreat piece so you can use them on Zulu's.