Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:20:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690618
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: new light on Isandlwhana? telly documentary  (Read 11556 times)

Offline Sirius

• Bookworm
    • Small Wars in Southern Africa
Re: new light on Isandlwhana? telly documentary
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
2) Chelmsford's decision to camp at Isandlwana. It was not a great camp site and quite why it was chosen is a mystery. It did not have great access to water, it did not have good fields of fire all round (the 'mountain' is in fact just a distinctive hill and blocked sight whilst being easy to climb), it was not condusive to Chelmsford's own standing orders of digging defences (ground was too hard). The site was well known, since people had been travelling in Zululand for decades, so exactly what was the purpose in camping there?

Absolutely agreed. A ready supply of firewood is one argument. The same coppices of trees obscured much of the left flank!

I have had the privilege of walking the battlesite a few times over the years, and once with a very well-studied local historian. Once you have gotten over the vast area covered with burial cairns (it really is a sombre site) the next thing that strikes you is how poor a defensive position it is. You can see nothing towards the Inzinyathi river on the right flank (assuming your back is to the hill) due to the broken ground and scrub, and nothing beyond the ridge of hills to the left. The nek and the hill itself obscures the rear, and short of the area directly in front of the camp stretching to the conical hill, there are no fields of fire. Even these were broken, with plenty of dead ground and dongas for any attacking force to exploit. Also note that it was a very wet summer, so the grass was probably long (as much as 2-3 feet tall if no cattle had grazed there), so easy for a target to "disappear".

@ Cubs: The mounted Irregular troops (who were pivotal in the battle) were only issued 70 rounds (like regular mounted infantry) and conducted a fighting retreat from the conical hill to the dongas in front of the camp. Thats a long way. A kilometer or two by my reckoning. Even with good fire discipline, they were doomed to run short of ammo.

how would the aspects of gunpowder smoke and solar eclipse do come into play?

Knight seems very fond of the Eclipse/Black Sun theory, but the historian I mentioned above dismissed it out of hand, suggesting if it occurred at all it was later in the day, after the battle had occurred. The records are unclear.

Gunpowder smoke... I dont buy it. The 24th were seasoned vets who had plenty of time to perfect their downwind to upwind platoon fire drills in the Eastern Cape.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »
@ Cubs: The mounted Irregular troops (who were pivotal in the battle) were only issued 70 rounds (like regular mounted infantry) and conducted a fighting retreat from the conical hill to the dongas in front of the camp. Thats a long way. A kilometer or two by my reckoning. Even with good fire discipline, they were doomed to run short of ammo.

Didn't one of their ammo wagons get stuck on the road and no-one bothered to tell them or unstick it? Yeah, certainly the mounted irregulars seem to have done as much as could be expected in the battle - moreso in some cases - not a lot of blame can be directed their way. They weren't regular line infantry and shouldn't be expected to perform as such.

It doesn't sit well with me to ignore anything Ian Knight may say, because he really is the Daddy when it comes to the Zulu War, but in a skirmish line (not to be confused with skirmishing pairs selecting targets and firing at will), with good fire discipline, I don't see how an obscuring smoke cloud would come in to play at all.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:37 AM »

I have had the privilege of walking the battlesite a few times over the years, and once with a very well-studied local historian.

David Rattray perhaps?

I had the pleasure of seeing/walking around Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana courtesy of him. A great and sadly missed gentleman.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Sirius

• Bookworm
    • Small Wars in Southern Africa
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »
David Rattray perhaps?

I had the pleasure of seeing/walking around Rorkes Drift and Isandlwana courtesy of him. A great and sadly missed gentleman.

No, unfortunately, (not to take anything away from the historian who showed me around) it wasnt the late David Rattray. I didnt ever get to meet him (dont think he had even moved to Fugitives Drift the first few times I went to the site - mid 80s - and the last time I went was 2012, which was after his death). Sadly missed indeed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:29:15 AM by Sirius »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »
Great find ( 8) 8)) and I'll be watching it tonight!

Finally I have a use for the notepad on my sidebar!  lol

Darrell.