Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 750
Total: 754

Recent

Author Topic: Budai Statue in the Ion Age  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Budai Statue in the Ion Age
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:09:56 PM »
From my blog:

So I guess it has been a month since my last update. I am still kind of doing a lot different things and nothing at all the same time. Stressing about in life and when I get going on the hobby I never seem to finish anything lately.

Well, the other day my wife and I visited a local second hand store and in a backroom I found this statue of the Laughing Buddha. I thought to myself it would probably make a nice terrain piece, so we bought it. I think my wife thought it would just be another piece taking up space for years and that I would never get around to do anything about it. But I decided to get working on it right away.

Still WIP, but I think it looks quite usefull already.

I set up the statue with a bunch of aquarium plants I bought long time ago and never did anything with. I guess they would not need much work to be useful just the way they are already. Just a bit of re-basing or sanding on the ones they have and they are ready to go.

Posing with the statue is a bunch of Retained Knights from Alternative Armies. Some great miniatures which I really want to come back to soon. I had a quite large Ion Age project running at some point, but after playing the Moth rules a few time it all kind of stalled. Now I really want to try out the Firefight rules, I think they suit me and my gaming friends a bit better.

Smile for the camera!

I want to try some green washes on the statue and I will probably also need to get me some coats of spray varnish on it, to make sure the turf doesn't fall off too fast. But besides that he is ready to go and will fit fine with my jungle terrain for both sci-fi and Fantasy gaming.

DEATHWORLD ADVENTURES

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Budai Statue in the Ion Age
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:06:36 AM »
Nice - reminds me of all those 1960s-80s sci-fi graphic novels my father has that I read at as a child in awe.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »
Looks really great! I know I say it a lot but we really should get together for some Sci-Fi gaming soon! I also painted up a statue a bit like that one as well recently, love the tufts you put on it and I'm considering doing the same :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »

I immediately thought of this image Jonas.  Ill bet that it wasnt far from your mind either :)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
Thanks guys.

@Torben: Yeah. It will happen some day  :D

@cheetor: I did think of it right away and got the book out as soon as I was home. I did think about converting the head for an ork head, but chenged my mind and decided to leave it as it was. Maybe I will have a go at doing an ork buddha later, I did see another smaller statue in the store too.