Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:30:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Has Kickstarter finally hit rock bottom?  (Read 31129 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Has Kickstarter finally hit rock bottom?
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. But I am sure a mod will move it then..

I just saw this new kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4thwar/4thwar-equipment-wargaming-table

It is a cardboard gaming table!? And it is being marketed by a rather largebreasted woman.
For a long time I have felt that kickstarter was being used and abused by people with projects that did not really need a kickstarter. Why for instance are Reaper, CMON and Mantic doing kickstarter, they are large established companies. When they have a project they should just do it. They only use kickstarter as a an anvertising tool and to take pre orders. And I don't think that was the original idea behind kickstarter.

And then there are people with halfbaked completely unoriginal ideas who try and raise money for yet another dungeon crawl/zombie apocalypse game and swear that it is completely different from the hundreds of other similar games out there.

But with this particular campaign I kind of feel like a new low has been hit.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Has Kickstarter finally hit rock bottom?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
Er.... cardboard table... a gaming table that will fold in on itself if you lean to it - or spill some fluid on it...

What a terrific idea...  ::)

I can build a wooden table with folding legs for less than this...  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:22:48 AM »
But look at the BOOBS in the video you have to buy it! Make the lady happy.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
You know what? That's a clever design. Stupid material to make it from though and not that cheap.

So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:27:15 AM »
I saw a review posted via TMP that showed a man laying on top of three of the tables. They are supposed to take 100 kgs.
I think they would wear out in a short time as the legs would get damaged though.

I do like boobs but it seems a bit tasteless.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »
According to the page it's "MADE & BRAIN in ITALY", "By a player mind for players fight". :D

I don't mind large companies doing Kickstarters. As a matter of fact, I prefer that over small companies doing "kickshoppers", where the "project" is just a glorified webshop.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
The table itself is kind of meh, but the vinyl mats don't look that bad.

Since you cannot seem to buy them seperately, it's a moot point really.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
I prefer that over small companies doing "kickshoppers", where the "project" is just a glorified webshop.

Yeah, there are lots of "projects" where someone is just trying to sell his stock. My favorite is this guy who has sold £400 worth of stones, sorry, model asteroids: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1419757724/asteroids

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »
Hahaha. That is great! That must be Rock bottom.

I once saw someone selling an airguitar on ebay. It had only been used once at a Rolling Stones show.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »
I have no problem with this but will never participate.  I don't need or want the product and I don't waste my limited funds on things that don't enhance my war games.  Market forces will show it can succeed as a niche item or it will fail.  Why the economic inquisition attitude about successful small companies?

As for 'large' companies using KS, why not?  Again, with the PC mindset against successful companies.  Give it a rest, dudes.  "Successful" doesn't mean rolling with money to risk on uncertain ideas or even probable brilliant "new angle/twist" variations in a crowded part of the market.  Larger companies, (that means what, two or three full-time employees?  This isn't WalMart,) can have ideas that don't entice people.  Given the War Gamer AADD history of "I'd buy a billion those" translating to "none" too often to count and the number of projects that that fail to get funding despite what appears to be a quality project (while some drivel driven dustbin bound project funds in hours) I think any one thinking of spending (relatively) significant sums of money might be wise to seek "investment commitment" from the 'cheerleaders' out there.

You don't like a project - don't put your money in?  

You don't like a "large" company in KS?  Start a petition to KS (good luck with that, they would have stopped it if they didn't like the results,) to limit participation by some practical criteria.  Practical means measurable standard incase you need clarity.

Okay, I have deleted several 'bound to get me reprimanded' sarcasm laden statements before posting so I am going to stop and close by merely saying, "WTF?"

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »
Yeah, there are lots of "projects" where someone is just trying to sell his stock. My favorite is this guy who has sold £400 worth of stones, sorry, model asteroids: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1419757724/asteroids

They are based?   ;)   :o  They come in multiple colors!  With two kinds (Clear and black (should that be 'Deep space black"?) in color) of basing!!! Selling rocks would means no bases and no painting included.   lol

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:18:45 AM by Conquistador »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. But I am sure a mod will move it then..

I just saw this new kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4thwar/4thwar-equipment-wargaming-table

<snip>
But with this particular campaign I kind of feel like a new low has been hit.

I did not run the video element(s) but not even close to rock bottom.  A little bit crazy but maybe crazy like a fox?  That was not a comment on the nice female member (is that  Caterina and Chiara?) of the group...  I am prone to brunettes... but that alone won't sell me on a project.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:29:19 AM by Conquistador »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:28:25 AM »
<snip>

And then there are people with halfbaked completely unoriginal ideas who try and raise money for yet another dungeon crawl/zombie apocalypse game and swear that it is completely different from the hundreds of other similar games out there.

<snip>

Maybe people support them for cheap miniatures?  That aspect has tempted me until I realized the time involved in so many of these 'great ideas' was months to possibly years (okay in at least one case maybe never.)  I refer you to P. T. Barnum.

Which is why good businesses raise money (commitment) via KS for ideas.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
<snip>

It is a cardboard gaming table!? And it is being marketed by a rather largebreasted woman.
For a long time I have felt that kickstarter was being used and abused by people with projects that did not really need a kickstarter. Why for instance are Reaper, CMON and Mantic doing kickstarter, they are large established companies. <snip>

Now I am dying to know how many employees the large companies of Reaper, CMON, and Mantic Employ.  I can think of one company who might qualify as seriously "big" but compared to the overall business world I still suspect it is 'small potato' level.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 12:39:29 PM »
I do like boobs but it seems a bit tasteless.

Smear them with maple syrup.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter