Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:07:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690925
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Has Kickstarter finally hit rock bottom?  (Read 31126 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Has Kickstarter finally hit rock bottom?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »
Why for instance are Reaper, CMON and Mantic doing kickstarter, they are large established companies.

Large compared to some other gaming companies but nothing compared to many other industries as others have noted.

All of these companies are using KS to launch entire ranges of products all at once. Compare Mantic's pre-KS release schedule with their post-KS one. Look at Reaper's Bones range pre and post-KS.

Rivet Wars from CMON is another example. They financed the base game and four or five expansion packs all in one go. Something I suspect that they wouldn't have been able to do without the injection of funds that they got via KS.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »
Product is meh but Mateo and his Crew having my Sympathies for that hilarious misspelling:Hystorical,Wharhammer  lol lol

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »
I don't think that the video was the best selling point for the product, hilarious yes, but it really needed to spend more of its time focused on the project, I also don't really see how the product solves the problem of:
"I don't have enough space"

solution, buy a table that you fold away and store somewhere, and then get out into your area which still has just as little space...

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »
I personally knew Matteo at a convention a couple a months ago, and well, i don't really understand the point of Dr Zombie when he says that it is just a glorified webshop.

I agree about the mistaste of the booby woman, and the price is not too low as well, but beside of that, this project is exactely the kind of project that should stay on KS: Costs for mass production are high, and they haven't much to invest without a crowdfunding!

That said, if you don't like you don't have to buy it - personally, i won't - but honestly that's not a bad idea for a portable table that fit in a bag! And - although some of you called it "not original" - please, show me another 5 kg table around.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »
Folding wallpaper tables?

Not too stable though.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 04:28:50 PM »
Wouldn't mind bumping that table.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »
I got 24"x48" plastic tables with metal folding legs - the hard grey plastic banquet-type tables - from Costco a year ago.  They cost me ~$25 each so I bought 4, enough to make a 8x4' table.  They might be 10-20lb each?  Pretty easy to collapse and store, and won't melt if I spill a drink on them.

This one is a novel idea, but it seems like there are already better and cheaper options out there.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »
I got 24"x48" plastic tables with metal folding legs - the hard grey plastic banquet-type tables - from Costco a year ago.  They cost me ~$25 each so I bought 4, enough to make a 8x4' table.  They might be 10-20lb each?  Pretty easy to collapse and store, and won't melt if I spill a drink on them.

This one is a novel idea, but it seems like there are already better and cheaper options out there.

Cheaper - for sure: I was thinking about buying some LACKs from ikea for gaming, since each of them is 12" side and they are really cool looking!

Better: Again, if you have to bring a table with you i doubt you can afford to carry 30-60 lbs on your shoulders, no? Expecially if you don't have a car to store everything.
The idea has some downsides for sure, but offers something that was not possible before. For a not-cheap price.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
Hahaha. That is great! That must be Rock bottom.

I once saw someone selling an airguitar on ebay. It had only been used once at a Rolling Stones show.
At a Rolling Stones concert? Wow  But.....certainly not played by Keef, The Human riff as he has forgotten how to play  8)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:18:54 PM by Legion1963 »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »
I think I'll manage without it...

:D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
We all know that sex sells in almost any other business world wide. So why not in this business. If i would have the money i'd pledge 'cause i like italians speaking English, i like well endowed dark haired women and......well....just because i can  8)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »
Cheaper - for sure: I was thinking about buying some LACKs from ikea for gaming, since each of them is 12" side and they are really cool looking!

Better: Again, if you have to bring a table with you i doubt you can afford to carry 30-60 lbs on your shoulders, no? Expecially if you don't have a car to store everything.
The idea has some downsides for sure, but offers something that was not possible before. For a not-cheap price.

From what I gather from the site, each table is 2'x4' and weighs approx 10lb.  To make a 4x6 table you are looking at 30lb.  Also, the actual playing surface does not seem to bend, so you are still carrying a 2'x4' bag for each table which is incredibly awkward - no way you are taking these guys anywhere without a car!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 09:37:11 PM »
From what I gather from the site, each table is 2'x4' and weighs approx 10lb.  To make a 4x6 table you are looking at 30lb.  Also, the actual playing surface does not seem to bend, so you are still carrying a 2'x4' bag for each table which is incredibly awkward - no way you are taking these guys anywhere without a car!

I'm afraid you misunderstood: The table weights 10 lb in total (6x4), and the three panels fit in the same bag. It is not a practical bag, but you can walk across a city to meet your friends with that.
I'm not saying it's a must-buy product (i never cared about the "official" sizes for gaming, usually a table is more than enough for me), but sure has his value!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
I think in general it's a good idea. Lightweight foldaway tables but at that price I'd rather do what Timbor said and buy a few plastic ones that are heavier. Sure if I'm going somewhere it might be a little harder to fit into the car and take a few more trips to get set up. No problem with using sex to sell the product. I think that type of marketing is more for impulse buying though. "Yes I will give the pretty lady my money now" but with kickstarter you have a few days to think about it after making that initial pledge, by that stage the memory of the boobs may have worn off.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:07 PM »
Ah, 10lbs total?  This photo is misleading then, as it seems like it says that for just the one table:

In that case it is a much better item, but at $200 (shipping included) for something that is not waterproof and has questionable long-term durability...

I can't help but think of all the other miniatures I could buy with that cash.  :D