Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:44:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Snapdragon/moondragon  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Snapdragon/moondragon
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »
I have a number of Adobe buildings made by this company ready painted and I now have come into possession of a couple of unpainted items. My question is has anybody managed to paint these to match the ready painted stuff from the company, and if you have could you let me know how you did it? It looks like some sort of wash has been used then wiped off and then highlighted but what paints have been used I have no idea. Any help much appreciated.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
Re: Snapdragon/moondragon
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
I have a number of Adobe buildings made by this company ready painted and I now have come into possession of a couple of unpainted items. My question is has anybody managed to paint these to match the ready painted stuff from the company, and if you have could you let me know how you did it? It looks like some sort of wash has been used then wiped off and then highlighted but what paints have been used I have no idea. Any help much appreciated.

I spoke to them at a show years ago and they recommended painting their product with enamel paints diluted with white spirit.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
Thanks Cmdr, I've tried household emulsion and then washed it with Army Painter strong tone. Big mistake it looked a right mess, the emulsion colours are very close to the colours of my painted items so I'm going to persevere and try feathering the colours together. If/when I am successful I'll put a photo up. I wouldn't know where to start with anything other than water based paints I cannot remember the last time I used enamels. Ah well onward and upward....

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »
I would think strong tone is far too dark for what you want- soft tone might be a better choice.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »
Thanks Rob, I'll give it a go. At least I know now I can scrub it all off if I don't like the result lol.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:17:01 PM »
Kerry from Snapdragon use thinned Humbrol enamels.

I tried a few times to copy the effect but I never managed it, even after he explained exactly how he did it.   lol
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »
Cheers Doc, I'll just have to crack on with my own ideas where's Kerry when you need him lol.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »
Kerry from Snapdragon use thinned Humbrol enamels.

I tried a few times to copy the effect but I never managed it, even after he explained exactly how he did it.   lol

Having said that, once thinned down they are a LOT easier to use than plain enamels.