Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:23:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boris  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Boris
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »
Hello again,

If I've understood correctly, people here might possibly enjoy seeing some painted miniatures so here goes. Big Boris & his hounds from Heresy.

...and plenty of larger extra pics *here*.

A brief history of this model, quoting myself from FoD where this was first posted:
[the shield is] from one of the 1998-ish mounted [GW] chaos lords, either the one with an axe or old Archaon. The chariot is from Gamezone. The huge harvester blade didn't quite fit in, especially in this three-hound setup so I left it out. That's why there's some strange clockwork engine in the chassis without any apparent function. Maybe it plays music?

This model was cobbled together last November under a strict deadline. I cut a lot of corners, especially in the paintjob. Consequently there were roughly a gazillion (European long scale gazillion, 1000 000 bazillions) things I was unhappy about. At that point I took a break from painting, then worked on other projects. Now I finally had some time and energy to repaint all those unsatisfying bits. I also finished some skipped conversion steps such as the neck chain joints etc. Maybe it's not perfect yet (does such thing even exist?) but at least I can live with the current incarnation.

Flames, spikes, horns, heavy metal and plenty of red...yep, I think it has most of the chaotic essentials covered.

...or what do you think?

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: Boris
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:04:50 PM »
Just great! Everything fits together nicely, that's what I call a chaotic chariot!
 :-* :o

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »
Hi, Dolmot,

Yeah, liking the color selection and your paint. Deadlines or not.

Composition is really good. I like the action you've got going there.

Thanks for the pics and the write up.

"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »
Are those hounds from the ghostbuster movies???

Cool anyway.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:44:52 AM »
Welcome and great pics. Heresy stuff is very cool.  8)

TT.
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 09:29:21 PM »
Are those hounds from the ghostbuster movies???

Cool anyway.

Yup andy's first hellhounds. New ones are really nice too, lovely chariot, breakdown of parts including driver?

;)

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »
breakdown of parts including driver?

I think it's pretty much there already but to put it into a neat list...

Chariot and its driver (the whipping guy): *Gamezone*
  • Apart from dropping the horses and the blade, no major modifications. I just drilled three halves of larger chain links into the front of the chassis for connecting the actual chains.
  • Strangely enough, I got a hero on foot model in the kit instead of the spear bearer shown in the product picture. Didn't matter much as he doesn't appear in this setup at all. Now I have a free hero model for some future use.
  • The chariot was somewhat troublesome to put together. Most annoyingly the main axle is slightly too short. Without modification the wheels end up hugging the chassis scythes and even then they're slightly crooked. I had to insert a bit of pin wire into both sides to make it fit properly. What a stupid design mistake... Other than that, it was mostly just the usual problems with large multipart kits - some filing and filling here and there.

Hero: *Heresy Armoured Boris*

Creatures: *Heresy (old style) Hellbeasts* (not the new, cavalry-sized ones)

Chains: some generic jewellry stuff I've had in my random box o'junk for ages, treated with superglue for stiffness and kind of sculpted look to better match the hounds' own chains

Hero's shield: this guy

(I happen to own the appropriate WD from 1998 and I photographed it. GW has removed most of its "classic" models from Online Store so there's no link.)

Base: 100x100mm of foamcore, cut to shape, bordered with paper and covered with sand

Complete enough? I hope so. Now, "what was the deadline", you may ask. Although nobody really did ask, I can tell you anyway - he had a battle to catch. (Subject highlighted for convenience.)

That's all for now. If you're inspired, buy something from Andy. He could use your money...