Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:54:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's previously limited LotR project(s)  (Read 48106 times)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
Re: Argonor's limited (for now) LotR project.
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 03:15:02 PM »
Impressive! Well done!  :-*

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »
Thank you. I am yet to get that game played, but I have a couple of days off next week, so hopefully one of my gaming buddies has the time to swing by for some dice-rolling  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 03:44:28 AM »
And here's the close-up of the Cave troll. Better late than never...  ;)

Very nice paint job!

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 04:00:50 AM »
Thanks!

Well, I can, when I set my mind to it, but it takes me quite a while to finish such a model. Sometimes MUCH too long a while  lol

While I'm at it, I did a little handywork last week:

The current set-up of the house-altar region:

And the proof that my DIY skills have not completely failed me, yet:

I like the little 'altar' - whats the Gollum DVD on the right?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »
I like the little 'altar' - whats the Gollum DVD on the right?

It was included with the Two Towers (I thinkl) Special Extended DVD gift set, and I 'm ashamed to say, I haven't actually watched it, yet, but I vaguly remember reading that it contains a lot of material on the technical 'creation' of Gollum for the movies, as well as a lot of the thoughts about how to present him as part of the story.

But, as soon as I have my sweaty palms on the Extended cut of the Hobbit III, it is time for a Tolkien marathon weekend, during which my kids will be allowed to watch the 2 trilogies for the first time (I already read the books to my eldest daughter, and shall start reading them to the youngest when winter descends).

-------

I'll be playing GoB (and probably SAGA) with LotR/Hobbit minis later today, as we are introducing a new member to Argonor's Attic (it's going to be sweltering up ther  ;D ), so expect some AAR-pics today or tomorrow.

As soon as I have finished the Mantic zeds I'm working on atm, and then quickly painted up 6 more oldhammer skeleton riders for a Gob Lords of Undeath 24 pts quick-play skirmish army, I'll start painting minis for a Gondor/Minas Tirith GoB army (based on GoB Mercenaries), for which I should also need to paint at least Gandalf and Boromir, so indirectly it will contribute to this project, too

And if you're into fantasy battle gaming, try out GoB! The combat system is so delightful simple and elegant, and allows for real tactical and fast play, as opposed to some other rigid rules I know  ;)

The whole terrain/peril system can be seen as obsolete, if you don't want to use it (I don't, I don't care for random terrain generation and/or random monsters attacking my unikts, unless I play special narrative  scenarios), but the army lists can be easily tweaked/proxied to accomodate most fantasy armies (and if you happen to own a Warhamster army, the transision is, oh so easy and obvious, with just a tad of imagination).

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 11:21:32 PM »
It was included with the Two Towers (I thinkl) Special Extended DVD gift set, and I 'm ashamed to say, I haven't actually watched it, yet, but I vaguly remember reading that it contains a lot of material on the technical 'creation' of Gollum for the movies, as well as a lot of the thoughts about how to present him as part of the story.

But, as soon as I have my sweaty palms on the Extended cut of the Hobbit III, it is time for a Tolkien marathon weekend, during which my kids will be allowed to watch the 2 trilogies for the first time (I already read the books to my eldest daughter, and shall start reading them to the youngest when winter descends).

-------

I'll be playing GoB (and probably SAGA) with LotR/Hobbit minis later today, as we are introducing a new member to Argonor's Attic (it's going to be sweltering up ther  ;D ), so expect some AAR-pics today or tomorrow.

As soon as I have finished the Mantic zeds I'm working on atm, and then quickly painted up 6 more oldhammer skeleton riders for a Gob Lords of Undeath 24 pts quick-play skirmish army, I'll start painting minis for a Gondor/Minas Tirith GoB army (based on GoB Mercenaries), for which I should also need to paint at least Gandalf and Boromir, so indirectly it will contribute to this project, too

And if you're into fantasy battle gaming, try out GoB! The combat system is so delightful simple and elegant, and allows for real tactical and fast play, as opposed to some other rigid rules I know  ;)

The whole terrain/peril system can be seen as obsolete, if you don't want to use it (I don't, I don't care for random terrain generation and/or random monsters attacking my unikts, unless I play special narrative  scenarios), but the army lists can be easily tweaked/proxied to accomodate most fantasy armies (and if you happen to own a Warhamster army, the transision is, oh so easy and obvious, with just a tad of imagination).

Ah I see, interesting , never knew it came with that... Looking forward to seeing more of your LOTR themed stuff. Havent heard of 'GoB' - got a link?
Cheers
Scott

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
Ah I see, interesting , never knew it came with that... Looking forward to seeing more of your LOTR themed stuff. Havent heard of 'GoB' - got a link?
Cheers
Scott

God of Battles, by Jake Thornton, released by Wargames Foundry:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/gob/god-battle/

Very nice movement and combat rules, and the army lists can be easily converted to fit your existing armies.

I don't care much for the fluff, and the terrain generation rules, etc., but the core mechanics are really elegant!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
Well, not much progress, as the summer vacation had to be taken along with the rest of the family, but this thread:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=70040.0

and this:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=70018.0

have convinced me, that I have to do some War of the Ring in 10mm... later, when I have rounded off a couple of loose ends (so probably not until at least after Christmas).

I am all but done with the basics of my PSZ project, and I'll turn my attention to a couple of God of Battles armies shortly, of which one is getting some LotR 28mm 24 pts armies ready for the table!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
A game of GoB:LotR played with my Minas Tirith/Gondor, and Rohan minis on one side, taking on some, undoubtedly nasty, dwarves:

More pics on the blog:

http://argonor-wargames.blogspot.dk/

OH, and while I'm at it, I bought a copy of the BofA rules with the aid of an honourable LAF member.
As far as I can see, I can flesh out any Middle-Earth army using BofA, Warmaster, and Warmaster Ancients. Happy times!  :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:45:29 AM by Argonor »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »
'Limited' my ....

I just bought about 700 LotR minis second-hand on a Danish forum  ;D

Duregar and I are going to present GoB28 using LotR minis (36 pts full army) at Horisont VI in Odense late November, so I have to get at least my Gondorian army up to strength (althoug h I would love to have an Isengard army ready, too).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:59:25 PM by Argonor »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
That's a lovely spirit level!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »
That's a lovely spirit level!

Or a sudden stroke of madness  lol

Of course, it also means that my Moria project will be postponed further - but I shall perhaps have to paint some members of the Fellowship to use as characters and/or enhancement markers.

And I'm convinced that Gollum could be used for something along those lines, too!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 11:46:12 PM »
Am painting some WoMT. Slow progress. Little time, as wife had shoulder surgery, so I have to do some chores I don't usually do. Plus, it's that time of year when firewood is hauled about...  ::)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
I finished these 8 minis today, thus making it possible to field a unit of swordsmen, and a unit of arvhers:

Pics of the units - and a very long series of WIP-posts about theis latest batch - on the blog:

http://argonor-wargames.blogspot.dk/search/label/LotR

Tomorrow I'll start fixing some Warriors of Númenor that I bought painted as part of a large lot. They have anime-style eyes, and we can't have that, can we, now?

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 05:05:36 AM »
Looking good.  We will definitely need some before and after of the googly eyed unit.  :D
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;