Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:12:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Russian VSF Miniatures  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
Re: Russian VSF Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »
Thank you, although, obviously I have plenty of British miniatures to do, including the ubiquitous redcoats with pith helmets.
The Brigade figures are such a fun set they cried out to be painted sooner rather than later,  lol
Plus, the Warmachine sniper and "baba" miniatures were just interesting figures that I picked up, and have had lying around for ages.
I intend to use them for In Her Majesty's Name, based around a variant of the "Okhrana" company.

I tend to have a backwards approach to force-building, choosing interesting miniatures that I want to paint and field, and that fit the theme, and then try to "crowbar" them into the actual army list, or alter it to fit them. I tend to play with people who don't mind too much, and IHMN definitely supports this loose approach.

I'm helped by the fact I'd much rather field a "cool" force and lose repeatedly than try and pick a winning army.
Each of my miniatures is definitely a character in a story in my mind, rather than a chess piece.
Probably why I've always preferred say Necromunda or Mordheim to 40K or Warhammer
Whatever the opposite of a "tournament player" is, that's me.

http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
A great collection, and I must say I especially like how Commissar Ibram Gaunt has made an appearance in the service of the Autocrat of all the Russias.  :D

I would however like to know where you got that officer figure with the white fur hat and prominent holster. I could use a figure like that in one of my future projects.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »
officer figure with the white fur hat and prominent holster
Brigade Games Russian VSF Pack:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=47601.0
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 12:14:48 AM »
I tend to have a backwards approach to force-building, choosing interesting miniatures that I want to paint and field, and that fit the theme, and then try to "crowbar" them into the actual army list, or alter it to fit them. I tend to play with people who don't mind too much, and IHMN definitely supports this loose approach.

I'm helped by the fact I'd much rather field a "cool" force and lose repeatedly than try and pick a winning army.
exactly this...
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:38:37 AM »
For me, a large part of the hobby is the fun compiling and assembling fun and interesting companies made up of miniatures with "character".
That's the attraction of skirmish gaming.

The ideal figure looks good, and suggests something of it's character immediately (to me at least,  ;D). They all have little backstories - even if only in MY head....
When I'm playing, my miniatures are characters taking part in a story, more than winning a game. Although, they obviously want to "win" in their terms.

Offline lobo

• Librarian
    • lobos kleine Welt
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »
Nice Russian Company.