Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bought loads of stuff.............. afraid to paint it  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Bought loads of stuff.............. afraid to paint it
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 01:05:58 PM »
Forgive me for stating what I believe to be the obvious, but I think the mistake you are making is leaving unpainted lead where you can see it.

Personally, I store my lead out of sight.  I prepare small "batches" of figures.  No more than ten.  These I also put out of sight until I am ready to prime.

When I am actually painting I rarely have more than half a dozen figures that I can actually see.  And they are primed, inviting me to paint them.  "Go on.  There aren't many of us.  It won't take you long..."   :)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »
Forgive me for stating what I believe to be the obvious, but I think the mistake you are making is leaving unpainted lead where you can see it.

Personally, I store my lead out of sight.  I prepare small "batches" of figures.  No more than ten.  These I also put out of sight until I am ready to prime.

When I am actually painting I rarely have more than half a dozen figures that I can actually see.  And they are primed, inviting me to paint them.  "Go on.  There aren't many of us.  It won't take you long..."   :)

You know what that's what I used to do but its crept on the table.

Nice spot of tidying I think.

It's all Driscoles fault he egged me on to paint more a month ago and now I've gone and frightened myself.........

Dodge

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »

You're quite right, of course. I had a big clear down of the paint table before I started doing my Lost World stuff, and it has really helped me concentrate. Better than I have in years, in fact.

The fact that we got Sky+ and I am now given a near constant stream of soaps, Jeremy Kyle, "Worlds Fattest Fatties" and DIY makeover shows to avoid has also helped considerably.

"What's that darling, I'm spending too much time in the loft? Well, unless we can watch something with at least one exploding robot in, you'd better get used to talking to yourself.

Testicles? No, no... you can keep them..."

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
My unpainted pile sits unseen in the shed, it used to be in the loft, but that was too much hassle.;
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
"What's that darling, I'm spending too much time in the loft? Well, unless we can watch something with at least one exploding robot in, you'd better get used to talking to yourself.

I'm a little more upmarket, I commandeered the garage and put a DVD player in there.

Don't forget that there are a lot of good history programmes on Sky too, even though most of them are down to Hitler, at least half of them are on Nazi Germany or WWII.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »
I agree, the Hitler and Sharks channels are great. But the point is, I never ever get to watch anything like that. Because there are what, twenty or so channels that show that stuff, and four hundred-odd that show "When things get knocked over, spill, or fall out of cupboards...3".

I guess I shouldn't really complain. At least I'm getting a ton of stuff painted now.  lol

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »
I can't remember the last time I watched terrestrial TV, not sure why I pay the BBC, my wife's the only one that watches all the soaps and the so-called "reality" programmes.  Still I get peace and quiet in my hut and get to watch MY programmes.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
I get that too. Lots of soaps, make overs , 10 years younger. Drives me nuts.........

When I deign to go into the annex I get a right telling off.

When I say watch something we both want to watch I get another. So once a week I sit and endure. Then this week she said do you want to do some painting?

That really was a surprise, don't think I'll ever understand but I took the opportunity.

Took my testicles years ago and some of my fingers......

Then again there is naff all on the telly anyway..... o_o

Dodge

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
Aah lot's of unpainted mins defenitly don't encourage.

I finally found what works for me. I only have about 15 models in progress standing on the painting desk at any time. Though when working on a project the undercoated minis which are next in row are punt in the display cabinet to remind me regularly that they really are the next ones that need to be painted.

Nothing wrong with buying metal to supoort the world economy. Every time I hear about the failing dollar I think about ordering from the states to support the poeple over there  ::)

As for having problems with a big pile of Lead....  no, not me...  I just hide everything way back in a closet and only take out what I need. My girlfirend will never know how much is in there. actually I'm not sure how much it is...  my best guess is around a cubic meter of metal  :D

It will be a big suprise when we move in together  o_o

Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 07:20:41 PM »
It doesn't matter how many minis you have, painted or otherwise.  Just remember the Creed...

He who dies with the most toys, wins!  :D
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:24 PM »
It doesn't matter how many minis you have, painted or otherwise.  Just remember the Creed...

He who dies with the most toys, wins!  :D

A good mantra but what if you can't die till you have painted the last one at this rate we will all live forever

Dodge

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 01:40:57 PM »
Sounds good to me.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »
Oh yeah, Exactly the same, but mine doesnt even make it to the undercoat stage.. :'(
I'm my own boss, so have a huge mountain, but being my own boss means I haven't got the time to climb it >:(
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 08:25:11 AM »
Been reading this thread and have to add:

I'm actually beginning to buy miniatures storage/transport boxes to store my undercoated minis to get them out of sight (and away from the table - can't pull off preparing a gaming table with all those black critters standing around).

I've been cleaning/basing a mini a day for quite some time now, spray undercoating a batch every 14/21 days, and as I've been suffering from painter's block the last month or so, the back-log of undercoated minis grow at a tremendous rate... (the real problem is, though, that my pile of un-prepared minis is growing even faster at the moment....)

At the moment I've turned my eyes towards some modelling projects (MicroTactix Twilight Streeets Heroic Scale, WorldWorks Mayhem, and a Deathball arena) to get my mind off the minis waiting on the painting table....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
Wenesday night managed to get over it and do a couple of hours on the train and armoured car.

Last night managed to look at 8 executioners and standard bearers for my chinese army first colours on 4 and flesh on the other 4.

Not bad 4 a couple of hours . tidied away all the non painted stuff. Funny how that works.

Jips finished bug well and truly back wife ferociously annoyed  lol all in all a good evening.

Dodge