Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691254
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to paint muscle definition  (Read 1489 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
How to paint muscle definition
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
I recently got a bunch of Hasslefree muscle-guys (Wolf, Akos, etc.) and I am having a tough time painting the muscle definition well.

I have been using Dark Flesh, Dwarf Flesh, Flesh Wash, Dwarf Flesh, then Elf Flesh (or whatever they are called now), and a final highlight on knuckles and noses.

The problem is that the contrast with the Dark Flesh is too much and my blending is horrible.

I've tried putting down a glaze of Dwarf Flesh to blend the Dark Flesh with the Dwarf Flesh and that helps a bit but I used too much glaze medium so there is a booger-colored filler in some of the muscles.

Also, when I try to brush on a highlight layer, I leave some brush marks in the crevices which ruins whatever hard-earned effect I was able to achieve.

They are especially challenging because they are in "normal" 28mm scale instead of Heroic, being Hasslefree.  So, that wash doesn't work the same way as it would on a GW mini.  I am being forced to learn new ways to paint...  :)

Anyone have a good tutorial on how to paint these kinds of figures? 

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
Re: How to paint muscle definition
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
My first thought would be to use bronzed flesh, between the dark flesh and dwarf flesh, but bronzed flesh has been gone for years now.

Would it help to apply a mixture of dark flesh and dwarf flesh between step one and 2 to ease the contrast?

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:36:40 PM »
I recently got a bunch of Hasslefree muscle-guys using Dark Flesh, Dwarf Flesh, Flesh Wash, Dwarf Flesh, then Elf Flesh (or whatever they are called now), and a final highlight on knuckles and noses.

The problem is that the contrast with the Dark Flesh is too much and my blending is horrible.

Anyone have a good tutorial on how to paint these kinds of figures? 

I only use Vallejo 72042 parasite brown for basic flesh and add white to mix some lighter toned shades which are applied in layers. Itīs much easier on muscular bodies, because you donīt need to care about soft blendings as on females.
Five layers will do.

The Kev miniature is even smaller than the most Hasslefree minis, but it works on him as well as on that enormous Reaper not-Hulk:

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:08 PM »
Great advice, folks!

Question re: the dip.  Are the current GW washes comparable?  Or must I go buy the Army Painter stuff?