Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sci-Fi games board  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Chilledenuff

• Librarian
Sci-Fi games board
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
Recently I've been putting toghether a board to play 7tv, 7ombie Tv and any other skirmish games that happen to take my fancy.  Thought i'd share it with everyone :)

I started with my 2x2 baseboard.  I made this years ago, it's double sided so on one side its a 2x2 desert board, on the relevant one for this topic it's just sprayed with the old GW textured grey spray (name escapes me at the moment, sorry):

Desert side:

Alas I have no photos of the grey side in it's bare state, again sorry but you'll see it in the next few anyway.

I then made 4 walls to support the upper level of the board out of orange foamboard (did i neglect to mention it's modular for transport/storage reasons and multilevel to add a bit of spice?) and a top layer out of a 2x2' square mdf

The doors are made out of plasticard, cardboard and metal washers.  The two trapdoors are made out of 25mm bases and paperclips.  The walls were painted with Homebase Slate grey paint, drybrushed with Winsor Newton white acrylic.  I cheated with the top board.  i sprayed both sides with a textured spray then Halfords grey to finish it

This lead to this kind of set up:

I made a ramp out of a broken plastic soldier bridge that i liberated from my sons' toy box before the wife threw it away:

It was braced with a bit of plasticard, sprayed black and drybrushed boltgun metal.  I've since given it a chesnut ink wash thats gone horribly wrong so it needs revisiting.

Then I made some lift shafts out of 1 1/4" aluminium tubing.  The doors are just painted on due to the fact that nothing would stick to the tubes.  I also finished the backs/tops of the underground rocks (the idea being I could then use them for other stuff if required:

That was the bottom half of the board pretty much done, i just need to do some scatter terrain to go with it.
I've now started the top of the board.  I've made some hills out of orange foam again:

I painted them the same way as the underground rocky bits:

Being modular they can be moved around to different locations:

I've used the board a couple of times to play 7ombie TV recently but i'm really looking forward to some Space1999 and Blakes 7 games on it.  Here's the set up I used last night:

I'm musing on a 3rd level, the supports in this bottom level is from the wooden box I initially made to be the support in the first place:

Not sure how I feel about a 3rd level, but it would certainly add more flexibility.

Next on the to do list are some craters for the surface so it can be used as a moonbase as well as lots of spoil/scree for that real BBC quarry effect  :D

Happy for any critique
Smile!  It's not that bad!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: Sci-Fi games board
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »
It's looking great! I specially like the idea of having those wall supports to pile the boards on top of one another  :o

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »
Saw some pics on the 7TV forum but there's much more here!  Due to the awesomeness of this board...I will copy it :D  The general idea anyway:)  A surface with underground caves.  I love that the top layer can be double sided.

Well done!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:09:47 PM »
That's a really nice and useful board...

...and a really nasty tablecloth!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
"Breathes there a man with soul so dead..."

...that doesn't fancy a sprig of flowers or few?  lol

Does say 'baby's nursery', though.

Well done, indeed. I'm really looking forward to AAR's; I've only seen a few 'revealed' battles where layers are removed as troops penetrate the lower levels.

Can be tricky to do well, but if so, draws one in!

Doug