Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:14:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690839
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Go shopping ?  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
Go shopping ?
« on: May 11, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
With the ever-reducing stocks of hobby shops around, I tend to largely rely on internet and virtual shops.
Basicaly, I'm buying minis, so I know where to find what I'm looking for (mostly thanks to posts on LAF ;) ), but from time to time, I may need a more 'general' shop, especialy when it comes to tools, paints ad so on. For a long time, I've been using a well known shop (Wayland Games, not to mention them) only to come to a conclusion : in the past 5 years, I never had a single order that went without problems: missing references, wrong stuff, everlasting delays due to the lack of stock, refunds to be...  and 56 different people each time to take care of the problem. So I stopped using it.

Now I find myself back on the problem: I need some cans I could buy from GW, some others from Army painter, I need a few other tools, plus greenstuff, etc. and would fancy buying it all in a single place, with some choice. How do you usually do? Do you have some proper names to pint out, or do you split purchases and rely on several shops, on producers' shop, etc.? How do you cope with that? (and I won't take the 'brick'n'mortar' choice as an answer: there's none where I live)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Go shopping ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »
I try and buy direct, unless it's cheap on the bazaar as I feel it's better for the money to go to the producer instead of via a middleman who will take their cut.

Not that I've got anything against the middleman, per se, I understand why they are there I just don't mind paying a bit extra  :)

I can be quite last as well and will probably know the direct manufacturer rather than the cheap onestopshop.

Apart from GW that is  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 03:04:25 PM »
Before i start considering to buy i inform myself thoroughly on the subject at hand and who's selling what and at what price. Alrthough i prefer personal contact my experience with buying from webshops is quite good to excellent. With private persons i tend to be a bit more carefull havin' been ripped off/scammed a few times. Not here on LAF.

When i need tools, paint and such stuff i prefer dealing with a person directly. Preferable with someone knowledgeable. I am lucky to have several dedicated games- and/or modelshops in the general area or city nearby and at least one well stocked and friendly staffed craftshop that is just around the corner.

GW is on the blacklist and possibly Corvus Belli (Infinity).  8)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
They don't have everything, but I've been shopping more and more at Architects of War here in the USA. Minis, rules, transfers, flock and static grass, terrain... Also free shipping at $50, and they answer most emails in 24 hours, and will special order whatever the hell I want. I really couldn't ask for a better retailer.  :)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »
I've ordered from these guys in the past :http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/
Never experienced any problems (I must admit it has been some years since my last order)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Penchour

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »
I've ordered from these guys in the past :http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/
Never experienced any problems (I must admit it has been some years since my last order)

That's where i go every time I travel to Berlin ;)
(which doesn't occur so often)

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »
I've never had any problem with Miniaturicum. Fast service and an excellent range of stock.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »
Wayland is a disgrace to the wargaming hobby industry.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »
Wayland is a disgrace to the wargaming hobby industry.

I must admit my first and last experience of them was an unfortunate blend of incompetence, lies and obfuscation.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
I tend to use a combination of firestorm games it's my Flgs but it's also an online store and sellers like troll trader and a few others who's names I can't remember.

For Miniatures I tend to buy from the manufacturer when that's available to me.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »
Found out something interesting about Wayland's webstore.
Items listed as "available ships in 3-9 business days" are actually NOT available or in stock.
Only if it says "in stock" is it actually there.
Very misleading in my book.
And the only option they give you if you don't want to wait is store credit(yeah right) or they will ship the rest of your order but you have to pay extra shipping for the out of stock items when they arrive.
First and last time I order from them.
Pete

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »
I'm running into a lot of online shops that are doing that these days, not just Wayland or even just gaming sites. Loads of retailers are keeping little to no stock on hand and are just ordering everything direct from the manufacturer as soon as a customer places an order.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »
I use firestorm games and nortstar never had any problems......

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »
I use Wargames Emporium, Firestorm, Antenocitis, North Star and Arcane Scenery without any real issues.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 09:35:01 PM »
Arcane Scenery have been 100% brilliant every time I've ordered from them. I have ordered stuff at lunch time and received stuff the next day. Great service. Never had an issue with North Star. Never bought from Wayland and likely never will.