Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Scale Games: Fallen Frontiers  (Read 7687 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
(KICKSTARTER) Scale Games: Fallen Frontiers
« on: May 12, 2014, 08:15:41 AM »
Time to make up a "how many Spanish miniature companies are needed to screw in a light bulb" joke, methinks o_o

Levity aside, Scale75 has decided to make a move to 32-35mm from their titular 75mm and add a "revolutionary" game to the mix in the bargain. If their Facebook is correct, the KS for this should start very soon -- maybe later today even.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1386179934955985

Given the largish scale and assumed similarity of style to the "classic" 75mm versions,  I'm not too excited about this one personally... But who knows, somebody else might like 'em:
http://www.scale75.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=56

---

PS. Thanks to PF for notifying me about this.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Scale Games: Fallen Frontiers
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »
Running now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/986826251/fallen-frontiers

Somehow I'm not feeling at all interested in this. Injection plastic sounds like a good idea (always assuming they can pull it off), but the scale (35mm) is off-putting and the designs seem even more same-old-same-old (in some cases almost exactly) than in, say, Last Saga (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=64647.msg810137#msg810137). From the pledges of which this may well have taken about a £1000 BTW, being distinctly further on in development.

Anyhow, may the best Spanish scifi skirmish KS win 8)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »
From the scale to the design to the genre/style...it's a bit of a snooze fest to me.  Shame.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
Suffering from KS-fatigue here, but I might pick up some of the alien figs once they're actually produced/released.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 04:47:13 PM »
A comparison pic posted in today's update:

40k people could use the yellow guy as a true-scale marine  :D

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »
Yup and from that photo defenitely bigger than 32-35mm. More like 40mm. Shame as I would have been tempted at around 30mm.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 08:59:10 PM »
I had already eyed their 75mm minis, so I'll be keeping a close eye at this KS.

The 40mm scale is off-putting, though.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
Yeah, if they're fully armored then I'm sure plenty of 28mm style games could make use of them as something (huge race, or giant power armour etc., true-scale as mentioned).  Not to be "that guy" but it sure seems a lot of companies are shooting themselves in the foot by trying in vain to go proprietary scale and skipping out on 80% of the target market.  :`

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 01:16:57 AM »
I had already eyed their 75mm minis, so I'll be keeping a close eye at this KS.

The 40mm scale is off-putting, though.

Since you've mentioned their Scale75 site, do you know if they have any connection with the Dark Nova figures from AndreasMiniatures?

They look pretty similar in style.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
Yeah, if they're fully armored then I'm sure plenty of 28mm style games could make use of them as something (huge race, or giant power armour etc., true-scale as mentioned).
They do have some very AT-43 style hardsuits on the way and some Cybermasterwhatsits for their tech zombies faction that I might find a use for. But otherwise the scale is indeed a nail in this project's coffin insofar as I'm concerned.

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 10:13:24 PM »
Since you've mentioned their Scale75 site, do you know if they have any connection with the Dark Nova figures from Andrea Miniatures?
They look pretty similar in style.

I don't think there's any connection. But Scale75 seems to copy Andrea, with the large scale minis, own paint brand, and even in selling painted minis.

The similarities in the sculpts are to be expected as I think that they have all been sculpted by the same guy, Joaquin Palacios (Freeman).

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:00:53 AM »
I don't think there's any connection. But Scale75 seems to copy Andrea, with the large scale minis, own paint brand, and even in selling painted minis.

The similarities in the sculpts are to be expected as I think that they have all been sculpted by the same guy, Joaquin Palacios (Freeman).

Thanks for that info! I didn't knew the name behind the nickname.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:10:04 AM »
i'm actually tempted by this one. i've been looking at smaller scale games with bigger scale models for a while and this looks like it could be fun, even if it is just a case of buying the core boxset.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Tadgie

• Bookworm
  • Too many projects. Too little time.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »
Been tempted by this one.

It's had a mid KS slump fuelled by some trolling on the comments, but seems to be picking up again.

They have posted a piccie of a resin figure and I must say it looks great.

Maybe worth having a look.

Offline Rhelyk

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 02:25:19 AM »
There was a a lot of back and forth in the comments and some other boards about the stated scale of the minis being off (35mm stated, closer to 40mm+) and especially because the creators were a bit dodgey about what material they'd be made in. It went from over funding goal to dropping below funding goal and has stalled out a bit, with some people crying quite vocally about how the creators were lying to them and dishonest and it was all a sham and they should be burned at the stake for their lies and heresies, the dirty heathens (and other such nonsense) It was a mildly entertaining back and forth for a while but quickly rose to such rediculous levels that I find rather tiresome and certainly nothing I personally found serious.

The project mostly suffers from following in the wake quite a few other, similar gaming kickstarters that have failed to deliver on time or delivered way less than what was promised/expected. People are smarter now about what they're getting and (internet people being internet people) raised one heck of a stink when they didn't like the vague answers. It all seems to be mostly sorted now, figs will be proper resin cast in-house unless the project surpasses 130K and then it will be proper hard plastic produced in China. As for scale they are indeed a bit larger than the stated 35mm, but one of the first updates was a scale shot showing the figs next to other manufacturers figs, so I hardly understand why people were up in arms about the stated scale to begin with. Who cares if the stated scale is a bit off if they show you exactly what the scale will be? It boggles my mind.

I may eventually pick up some of the yellow guys to use as true scale Space Marines, the rest I'll be happy to have around on the market for people to use as whatever they want to use them as, more minis is always a good thing in my mind.