Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:33:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dropzone Commander - After 8 years; finally some more Scourge...  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
I have not been posting any painted stuff of mine for some time. Not that I've been idle and haven't done anything, but it is a lot less than I would have liked, and I could certainly not find the time to also take pictures and post them. Having a baby around the house certainly sucks up a lot of time, especially when the wife injured her back and cannot do anything at the same time... ::)

But, I've finally finished a small project after all. And it's in a scale that I have not done, which made for a nice change of pace. And I must admit that I actually like the 10mm of Dropzone Commander!

At Crisis last year, Voivod bought himself one of the starter boxes, and I agreed to do the same later on. We decided to split the armies, so we'd each have a sizeable force in the end, to which we could then add some of the more fancy stuff. And it being his box, Voivod had first choice and went with the human faction. Which left me with the Scourge.

Apparently, at least visually, the Scourge is the least popular of the current DZC factions. Just another Gigeresque biomechanical threat to the civilized people of the universe, blah blah. But they've sort of grown on me (having been a long time Necron player in 40K must have helped there), and they're pretty easy to paint up too.

And, as Voivod has realized by now, they're also rather effective on the battlefield...  >:D

In the starter box, you get three sprues, which each hold 2 infantry bases, a Main Battle Tank, an AAA vehicle, an APC and a Dropship. The force laid out in the rulebook has all of the above, minus one APC, which is sort of a bonus. With a second box and one extra Dropship plus some infantry, it will form yet another complete unit.

Now, I am not a great fan of the studio army's paintscheme. The purple stripes just didn't do it for me, but at the abovementioned Crisis 2013, in the Hawk Games booth, I saw an alternative paintscheme that I really liked; still silver metallic (no escaping that, I suppose), but with a blueish purple on top, with an olive green on the edges.

I've tried to emulate that, and I think I've succeeded too. But don't let the apparently simple paintscheme fool you though; even though the basecoat of silver spraypaint with a black wash was pretty quick, the detailing and subtle colouring still took a long time. Since the coloration of the metallics was done with straight paints, heavily diluted with water (as I could not find washes in the desired colours), most of the tinting took at least three thin layers to get to the right intensity. And then there were the details such as vents, exhausts and eyes/sensors, which still required traditional layering etc.

And since the Scourge vehicles are all supposed to be skimmers, I could not leave them lying on the table; that would just not look right. But since one of the neat things in DZC is that the Dropship models can actually hold all the units they're supposed to carry, and since permanent bases would look rather daft when the vehicles are loaded (not to mention that with the Scourge, that would be impossible to begin with), I made magnetized bases for the skimmers. All vehicles have magnets embedded, so now I can take them off the CD-Racks Dropships and base them when they deploy. And of course take the bases off when they remount the Dropships. Neato.

The bases are Renedra 25mm square bases with a plastic rod glued in the center. The top of the rod has been drilled out carefully to mount the magnet with some superglue. Some basing material and presto...

In regard to basing; since we're talking 10mm instead of 28mm here, the standard basing sand and gravel is way too coarse and would look ridiculously out of scale. So I recovered a handfull of sand from a building site near my house, sifted it a bit and used that for the basing. It's really fine, so looks in scale with the tiny infantry figures. In the same vein, I used very fine foam flock (several colours mixed) instead of the usual static grass, as a strand of grass would be almost as tall as a human sized figure...

So, without further blabbering, here are the pictures of the start of my Scourge army. Apologies beforehand for the quality of the pictures, but my phone was the only thing handy at the time and especially the purplish blue is lacking in intensity:

First up is the infantry. They come 5 to a base and are vital when grabbing objectives. Also, the Scourge infantry is one of the hardest hitting in the game and they're in trenchcoats to boot ;) The colourscheme is made up of the same colours used on the vehicles, to make them fit in with the rest of the units.

Next are the Main Battle Tanks. The purple/green scheme is obvious here:

Next up are the AAA units. They're built on the same chassis as the MBT. Also, they're pretty vital in-game, with so many flying units zooming around the table all the time:

Then it's the APCs. People have commented on them having Rhino syndrome, with so many troops having to be crammed inside. But my take on the Scourge is that their mindcontrolled slaves (which the infantry are; captured and turned humans) are just cocooned in there. No need for legroom when they're kept in hybernation, shoulder to shoulder, right?

As I mentioned before, even though the initial force only has 2 APCs, there are 3 in the box, so I painted them all up. The third one will get used eventually:

Then the Dropships from the title of the game. They're pretty important; all units are initially transported in/on them; the force is basically dropping in on the battlefield at the beginning of the game. If it does not have a place on a Dropship, it's not allowed in the army list.

You can see why the Scourge Dropships have been dubbed CD-Racks. Bear in mind that there's also a version that can stack 9 hovertanks... lol

And finally a groupshot of the entire force, ready to drop in on a planet near you:

I've taken quite a liking to the scale to be honest, and I'm already planning a small 120x120cm table for it. DZC comes with an entire playing surface in the form of a paper map, with cardboard buildings, and whilst looking nice, I would like to eventually have something a bit less flat. So I'm looking at N-scale railroad buildings etc, to see what would work with the game. Since everything is so small, it's all pretty quick to build and paint, which certainly fits my current situation. So stay tuned for more 10mm stuffs in the future... 8)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 01:52:10 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dropzone Commander - Beginning of the Scourge...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »
Lovely brush work.  I wanted so badly to like Dropzone Commander...and nothing they ever put out appealed to me (apart from some of the super cheap terrain).  Shame, it's a nice scale for that sort of game.  I agree with what you said about the Scourge...I think they look bloody abysmal.  lol

I do think you got a good deal splitting two starter games though.  Good thinkin'. Lovely little photo set up by the way!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »
Nice attempt with the Scourge, still don't like them though. Unfortunately I expect I'll have to use them to start with as no one else likes them here either and I'd like to give my box an outing.

The CD racks are the main culprit, they just look awful, especially loaded. I get the idea and they make sense but seriously, at some point in design someone should have just put their hands up and said "it's a good idea guys but it just looks shit, lets start again".

I note the new Scourge drop ship has changed to a more sensible design:

So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
I don't play this but the minis are nice and your paint job is GREAT! Makes one stop and think, new game? Hmmm

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
Very nice paintjob.

I really want to like Dropzone commander, and I have heard a lot of good things about it. And even though the minis and the cardboard terrain looks really really good. I just find that the game is to expensive. It is almost GW priced.

But I am tempted on a weekly basis - if not daily..

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »
Very nice paintjob.

I really want to like Dropzone commander, and I have heard a lot of good things about it. And even though the minis and the cardboard terrain looks really really good. I just find that the game is to expensive. It is almost GW priced.

But I am tempted on a weekly basis - if not daily..

I certainly understand those sentiments.

The starter box was only around €60,-, and you get 2 600pt forces, the full rulebook, tape measure, dice, 2 terrain posters and about 10 card buildings. That is really good value for money, but it does feel like a pusher ploy, since all the other (resin) miniatures are pretty steeply priced.

And should you want to start with one of the factions not in the starter box, the numbers will add up quickly. Not too mention the insanely priced resin buildings, which reduce GW's pricing department to tears of envy...

Still; for approximately €60,- each, both Voivod and myself will have a full game and a 1200pts army, which I find pretty decent. We'll see how it escalates from there... ::)

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
That is exactly my main concern. The starter box is ok priced, but everything else...

And knowing myself, and how games work. It is never enough with the starter box.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
Very nice, sir.
You have done a terrific job with those little buggers.
 :-* 8) :-*

A mate of mine has been trying his best to twist me towards this game for ages.
A couple of the other members of our group have caved in and tell me that it is a good game, it is just the scale that puts me off.

And the eventual cost (cos I know what I am like...).

That and I really dont need another distraction.
 ::)

I shall enjoy watching your project from a distance instead.
 :D

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »
Still; for approximately €60,- each, both Voivod and myself will have a full game and a 1200pts army, which I find pretty decent. We'll see how it escalates from there... Roll Eyes

Oh, it's gonna escalate. I allready have mu purchases planned to get to a 2000 pts army.

Looking good. I hope I'll finally get to beat them this week.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
Thank you all, gentlemen; much appreciated. :)

And I see the concensus still is that the Scourge are fugly. But trust me, when you have to stare at them on the workbench for a while, like I had to when painting them, they become less and less objectional. I still fully agree on the utter sillyness of the 9 tank rack though. It might be very effective and useful in-game, but... dang!

Oh, it's gonna escalate. I allready have mu purchases planned to get to a 2000 pts army.

And going by that remark, it might well come to pass that I will be requiring one, to drop a whole tank company on The Voivod's puny Humans, but I might think up a way to convert a version that is less of an eyesore. The new dropship designs which carry the walkers are pretty cool though.

I'm contemplating throwing some small moneys at Scalescenes for some modern office/highrise kits. At least I will be in keeping with DZC's paper terrain vibe... ;)

Looking good. I hope I'll finally get to beat them this week.
Thanks bud, but you know how it is; once a unit gets painted and finished, it will never perform the same again. So I'm fully prepared to take one for the team this time.

Especially because, you know, this game involves lots of dice... ::) lol

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »
I actually lige the scourge. They remind me og the Necromongers from Riddick.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
I love that paintjob, especially how the dark main color seems to fade to green at the edges. Really effecty and looks very organic/biological. Great job. It reminds me of the old Amiga game Z-Out with it's Gigeresque levels...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:25:29 AM by Cherno »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 09:25:44 AM »
Thanks Cherno :)

I actually lige the scourge. They remind me og the Necromongers from Riddick.

So they do, but like I said; they're Gigeresque, like a great many other lines. For me, they are reminiscent of the AI constructs in The Matrix part 2 and 3, what with all the eyes/lenses, tentacles etc...

At any rate, since Giger passed away yesterday, I'll dedicate this army to his memory; without him, horrific alien races would all still look like colourful humans with ridged prosthethics glued to their foreheads...  :D

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »
Cool paintjobs man! Really nice effect, the green works WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the Purple Hawk Wargames use. And like many others, Dropzone Commander is really tempting and gorgeous...but the price if you want to start with an army other than the ones from the starters is painful. And it's a shame they went for 10mm...would have preferred 6mm.
But excellent start and keep it going!! 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:05:20 PM »
Are there any Shapeways alternative models for use with the game?  Are the game mechanics any good?  I'm just really turned off the "points" based tournament-enthused design angle.  I used to really like old school Epic 40K which is what this game makes me think of...but is it good outside of a competitive/tournament style setting?