Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:02:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dropzone Commander - After 8 years; finally some more Scourge...  (Read 7609 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Dropzone Commander - Beginning of the Scourge...
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 09:15:26 PM »
I don't know about shapeways, but there are bound to be alternatives out there. I'm not at all at home in the 10mm scale though, so I'm not much of help there. I do believe it's used extensively in the historical scene, so infantry should not be much of an issue. And alien vehicles are not very scale specific anyway, so maybe find something that works, outside of the scale?

As for the rules, they are certainly robust and easy to grasp, at first glance lacking detail and/or depth. But the true challenge is purely tactical. It is true that forces are evenly matched etc, but the objectives prevent it from becoming a true slugfest every time.

I can see it working in a tournament environment, but The Voivod and I only play friendly games these last years, and it suits that type of game too...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »
Great pjs there. I'm also sorely tempted, esp by the Post-Human faction. But I'm wary of starting another game/another scale - Doubly so when no one in these parts plays it.

But they are lovely.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2022, 01:51:33 PM »
So, after a hiatus of a mere eight years, I've finally come to paint up another unit for this army...

I actually won this blisterpack of heavy Scourge infantry for next to nothing, so I decided to paint them up real quick, because mixing it up with some different scales while painting is always fun.

Besides; the paintscheme had evolved since I painted this army; I used the same scheme for my Dropfleet Commander Scourge, but I felt it was a lacking a bit, so added some turquoise to the very tips of the green areas and some hot pink to the extremes of the purple areas.

And this added some interesting colourvariations and combinations that gives the armour an almost oily look, which is quite fitting for biomechanical monstrosities I feel.

So; these guys also require transports/dropships to be used (effectively) in the game, so I dug up some specialized dropships I knew I had, and went to town.

Both the trooper bases and the ships were prepped and painted in one afternoon (and it sort of shows, I know), but they were fun to paint, and I'm kind of tempted to take on a few more Scourge units now.

I also changed the technique on the eye lenses from layered gems to a quick OSL. This not only is faster, it also works with the imagery a bit more. Also; I still have to do about 300 of these on my DFC ships and I was not looking forward to gemmify each and every one of them... ::)

But enough waffle; here are my biomechanically altered and enslaved space gorilla's and their taxi's:

A close-up of the dropships:

And a shot of the big bois next to some human sized infantry. These guys are so big, they could mingle with 15mm miniatures, even though they're at 10mm scale!

So; hopefully the next installment will not take another 8 years eh?  :D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Dropzone Commander - After 8 years; finally some more Scourge...
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2022, 02:41:11 PM »
Looking good mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2022, 03:05:34 PM »
Those guys look simply awesome, I love it. I have toyed with the idea of DZC for awhile now, have already picked up all three rulebooks (was a big fan of Epic 40K back in the day) but a lack of an opponent has kept me from pulling the trigger. And the infantry was what had attracted me to the Scourge, those guys in particular. I think your color scheme is gorgeous, I could imagine it takes some time but it shows. Now you have me tempted all over again. Thanks for sharing and hope to see more additions to this great looking force.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2022, 08:28:33 AM »
Thanks guys; much appreciated! :)

@ Diehard: despite complaints about the game being expensive (as if others are actually cheaper!), I find it to be really affordable. The small scale makes for similarly small prices, especially when you can nab a discount here or there. Even directly from TTC, prices are OK. Not counting the HUGE Gargantuan models here; they're like the DZC equivalent of titans, but when you want/need one of those, you're already very deep down the rabbit hole...  lol

Also, the small size makes for pretty fast painting, and even a complete army takes up very little storage space; an entire start box faction takes up the space of just one 40K squad in the display cabinet.

Which is why I never gave up on DZC, even though it's been at least 6 years since we actually played a game. The fluff is engaging and the models awesome enough to warrant simply collecting and painting for the time being :)

Online The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2022, 09:54:54 AM »
Also, the small size makes for pretty fast painting, and even a complete army takes up very little storage space; an entire start box faction takes up the space of just one 40K squad in the display cabinet.

Start on your UCM pannel lining and then we'll talk.
But they're looking fearsome. My poor legionaires are in for some hard fights. Nice job. The colours on the transports are awesome.

Which is why I never gave up on DZC, even though it's been at least 6 years since we actually played a game. The fluff is engaging and the models awesome enough to warrant simply collecting and painting for the time being :)

There's plenty to love about the game and I'm still planning to add to the army. We'll have some solid, massive battles at some day.
It has never occured to me to abbandon the project(s).
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2022, 06:01:19 PM »
Those look great.
Dropzone commander is a game that I'd forgotten about.  Nice to see it's still in production.  As a club we looked at DZC years ago.  Good game reportedly and the minis are very cool but we mostly went with other rulesets as we had already collected armies of rebased mechwarrior clix.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2022, 08:46:55 PM »
So, after a hiatus of a mere eight years, I've finally come to paint up another unit for this army...

I actually won this blisterpack of heavy Scourge infantry for next to nothing, so I decided to paint them up real quick, because mixing it up with some different scales while painting is always fun.

Besides; the paintscheme had evolved since I painted this army; I used the same scheme for my Dropfleet Commander Scourge, but I felt it was a lacking a bit, so added some turquoise to the very tips of the green areas and some hot pink to the extremes of the purple areas.

And this added some interesting colourvariations and combinations that gives the armour an almost oily look, which is quite fitting for biomechanical monstrosities I feel.

So; these guys also require transports/dropships to be used (effectively) in the game, so I dug up some specialized dropships I knew I had, and went to town.

Both the trooper bases and the ships were prepped and painted in one afternoon (and it sort of shows, I know), but they were fun to paint, and I'm kind of tempted to take on a few more Scourge units now.

I also changed the technique on the eye lenses from layered gems to a quick OSL. This not only is faster, it also works with the imagery a bit more. Also; I still have to do about 300 of these on my DFC ships and I was not looking forward to gemmify each and every one of them... ::)

But enough waffle; here are my biomechanically altered and enslaved space gorilla's and their taxi's:

A close-up of the dropships:

And a shot of the big bois next to some human sized infantry. These guys are so big, they could mingle with 15mm miniatures, even though they're at 10mm scale!

So; hopefully the next installment will not take another 8 years eh?  :D

Though I love what you’ve done there, I am unfamiliar with the range.  Is there a link to the listing of those “space gorillas”?  I game mostly 15mm and am always looking to “spice up” the collection.
Thanks!

Dan

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2022, 09:00:24 AM »
Thanks guys.

@ Cacique Caribe: sure thing, here's the link to TTCombat's webstore. :)

And I really hope this is TTC testing the waters; I've been hoping for an extension of the Drop Commander series with a 28mm skirmish game for years and years, i.e. Drop Squad Commander...  :D

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2022, 10:03:57 AM »
Daeothar

Thanks so much!

Dan

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2022, 10:40:36 AM »
A skirmish game in this setting would be awesome. Am kind of surprised that they never moved on this it would seem to be a natural progression. Never saw that model before but is way cool.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2022, 11:42:38 AM »
A skirmish game in this setting would be awesome. Am kind of surprised that they never moved on this it would seem to be a natural progression. Never saw that model before but is way cool.

I know, right?

As soon as Dropfleet was launched, I figured it would be only natural for Hawk to also launch a skirmish game. I always fancied zooming in on a battle, from DFC to DZC to DSC. That would be so awesome!

I never saw this one miniature before either, but I'll be sure to get at least one.

Do it, TTC, do it now!  :D

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2022, 07:07:16 PM »
100% agree with you Daeothar, where did you find it? I wouldn't mind picking up one myself. Maybe if enough people showed interest they might take the hint too. Anyway thanks for reminding me of this great game. Going to dig out the three rulebooks this weekend and once again contemplate building an army even if purely for my own enjoyment.

Online The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2022, 09:27:00 AM »
It's a UK gamess expo special model.
But yeah, same thought went trhough my head:"is this testing the waters for a skirmish game?"

It'd be awesome.
I don't really need more UCM models collecting dust, being unpainted, but
I'd absolutely buy them.