Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691101
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Romanovs Murdered - 90 years ago  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Romanovs Murdered - 90 years ago
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:57:20 AM »
I heard that today is the anniversary.  Interesting that the Tsar is being praised again in Russia.

Twice I've missed out on the Westwind  pack on Ebay  >:( (Tszar Nicholas + Tsarina + 2 Children)

And Westwind have a minimum P&P of nearly a fiver  :o

I'll keep looking though  lol

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:18:31 PM by Orctrader »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Romanov's Murdered - 90 years ago
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:01:57 AM »
Just to remind you an excellent painting job of Westwind miniatures:

http://www.backofbeyond.de/gallery_tsar_romanov.html

argsilverson

Offline Invicta

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:35:15 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have to order the Tzar and family. I was looking through BoB the other day and my wife saw the figures, now she wants me to paint them up for her....oh well more to add to the list. :)

Edit.

I just went to look at the Tzar and family figures, and I was amazed to find out it's cheaper for me to get them from the UK rather than the US. OK so I only save about a $1.10 but every penny counts. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:51:32 PM by Invicta »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:39:24 PM »
Tszar Nicholas + Tsarina + 2 Children

Seems to be two kids short of a family! ???
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Invicta

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »
Tszar Nicholas + Tsarina + 2 Children

Seems to be two kids short of a family! ???

The others were off playing and didn't want to pose for the figures. :D

Offline 1ngram

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:44:49 AM »
I know I will accused of being an insufferable pedant but could someone correct the spelling of this thread's title.  Romanovs is a plural so it doesn't have an apostrophe.  It should be "Romanovs Murdered".  Almost as bad as the ticket I saw in a local fruit market.  "Apple's for Sale" it said.  Grrr.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »
I know I will accused of being an insufferable pedant but could someone correct the spelling of this thread's title.  Romanovs is a plural so it doesn't have an apostrophe.  It should be "Romanovs Murdered".  Almost as bad as the ticket I saw in a local fruit market.  "Apple's for Sale" it said.  Grrr.

Quite right too.  I usually pride myself on such things but I was in a rush.  Now corrected.  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Romanovs Murdered - 90 years ago
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 02:32:52 PM »
Greengrocers are notorious for adding an apostrophe wherever one will fit, whether it has any business there or not. But the worst offender is a big company who ought to be able to afford a grammar checker and know better: Banks's Brewery. Though really it isn't the apostrophe that is wrong, but the second 's'.

By the way, 1ngram, thou art an insufferable pedant. Get thee to TMP where your pedantry will gain you high esteem. Here you shall have rotten apple's thrown at you for your pains.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 02:42:38 PM »
I love a good rotten-fruit-throwing day. Do we have to do just apples or can we do tomatos?
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
By the way, back on topic, try and see "Nicholas and Alexandra" if you are interested in this subject.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067483/

It has that bloke out of Emmerdale in it, plus Harry Andrews, Jack Hawkins, Timothy West and Tom Baker doing a turn as Rasputin. I don't know if it's just me, but I think in the 60s and 70s they had a better eye for period drama, that has been lost by modern film makers. Even if you are not into the story, the visuals are quite watchable. I don't know if all the uniform details are exactly correct, but the 'feel' of it is very good. Not something you can say about every period piece these days.

We need more and bigger explosions! More video game CGI! And replace that foreign fella with Tom Cruise!

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 11:22:09 PM »
I heard that today is the anniversary.  Interesting that the Tsar is being praised again in Russia.

Twice I've missed out on the Westwind  pack on Ebay  >:( (Tszar Nicholas + Tsarina + 2 Children)

Orctrader you can order them via the Old Glory site for 40% off if your an Army Club member.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:40:07 AM »

Orctrader you can order them via the Old Glory site for 40% off if your an Army Club member.

Thanks  :)  But I'm not a member of any Club  :(  And I live in the UK so shipping would be prohibitive  >:(

They are bound to come up on Ebay again though.  Just about everything does.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:34 PM »
There was a programme on C4 I think, last night, I only caught a snippet where they were testfiring the original pistols, was it any good?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »
I saw something about them last night. In the bit I saw they were talking about how the bodies were disposed of, and some fella was doing DNA tests to try and prove something or other. Something astounding no doubt, knowing documentary makers these days. Perhaps it was actually Kitchener and the Sandringham Company in those graves? My attention must have wandered and I kind of lost interest in the whole thing.

In a similar vein there was a programme with some archaeologists at the weekend trying to find Douglas Bader's Spitfire. Their "astounding and controversial new discovery" (why do documentaries these days always have to have one of those, they can't just be 'about' something any more) was that he was probably shot down by another Spit in a friendly fire incident, contrary to the bullshit spread by Bader himself about it. Was an entertaining show actually.