Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Saladin's Coat of Arms  (Read 9482 times)

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Saladin's Coat of Arms
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
Hi Darrell,

Many of these eagle symbols are directly or indirectly referencing Imperial Rome, and the Eagle of Jupiter:

Cheers,
Scott

I hope I didn't put my foot in it? Not mean't to be so.

I guess the Eagle figure does have a strong military slant to it anyway.

Darrell.

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »
What an incredible response to this question, thank you all. I really appreciated that Eagle from The Citadel of Cairo without a doubt!
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
I hope I didn't put my foot in it? Not mean't to be so.

No offense taken, Darrell!  :)

I was just pointing out that many different governments have used the eagle and other symbols borrowed from the Roman Empire to suggest that they are similarly powerful and enduring. And that probably explains your initial reaction to the Egyptian eagle - because it does look very much like the ones used by the Nazis and the Italian Fascists (who also took their name from the fasces borne by Roman lictors), among others.

Cheers,
Scott

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:20:29 AM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
... the Italian Fascists (who also took their name from the fasces borne by Roman lictors),

Which presumably explains why they were so full of faeces.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »
No offense taken, Darrell!  :)

Ah, good... was worried a bit there when I re-read my post  o_o.

I was just pointing out that many different governments have used the eagle and other symbols borrowed from the Roman Empire to suggest that they are similarly powerful and enduring. And that probably explains your initial reaction to the Egyptian eagle - because it does look very much like the ones used by the Nazis and the Italian Fascists (who also took their name from the fasces borne by Roman lictors), among others.

Yeah, it's quite amazing, but perhaps not surprising, that such iconography has stayed the course of time in it's symbolic meaning really.

Darrell.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »
Certainly you might describe Nasser's Egypt, from which the modern flag derives, as being essentially 'quasi-fascist'. Indeed given the meaning attached to each of the colours in the flag, the use of Saladin's Eagle in it pretty much backs A Lot of Gaul's point for me.
:) 

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
Looks like I need to hand round some apologies because was dead wrong about this. I am really surprised because I thought Muslim societies never used images of living things.

I guess a day without learnin' something new is a day wasted.

Don´t worry! When I was at secondary school, we learnt too that spanish muslim art didn´t use live beings, because was forbidden by its religion. So they used stylized leaves (like) and geometric designs. But there are exceptions to all rules. Bytheway, I have never seen spanish muslim flags with live beings as devices, only geometric and arab script.
In Saladin´s case, I would say that Egypt was Fatimite (Shia) until he changed the country´s religion to sunnite. Sunnies are not so fervent. And coming from a warrior caste, I don´t see improbable that he used a personal badge of that kind.

Emilio.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
السلام الآن!
انقاذ الحيتان!
مستحضرات تجميل amazeballs!
كان كيلروي هنا!

I would have all four banners in an army. I think they'd look quite fetching.

Is there really no word in Arabic for Amazeballs! I find that very surprising!   ;D
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
Heraldic Symbols Islamic insignia and Western Heraldry  mentions the following for the Ayyubids (the family of Saladin) : the Ayyubid rulers of Hama wore  bendy or, gules, or and sable a chief argent. Different rulers had an emblem on the chief eg. Muzaffar II a lion gules

hope this helps

Carl