Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Storage  (Read 2780 times)

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
Storage
« on: May 16, 2014, 07:04:02 AM »
As I may have previously mentioned, IHMN has got me painting 28mm figures again, for the first time in many, many years.

The problem I now have is storage. IHMN might be a low-figure-count game but I already have 2 companies with about 15 figures each. and I'm starting on my 3rd this weekend.  :o

Which storage/transportation solution would you suggest ? (If possible I'd like to store them standing upright.)

The only caveat is that it should be one I can buy from a UK seller

TIA  8)
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
W.S. Churchill

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Storage
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
I have over 20 multi-tray cases of these:  https://www.krmulticase.com/ and I love them for 15 to 28 mm figures.  The 6 mm cases are okay but some larger 6 mm figures push the soft inner parts in some ways.

Edit from https://www.krmulticase.com/resources/traysizes.aspx

KR Tray Sizes

tray external dimensions

There are TWO sizes of KR trays, the standard tray at 380mm x 255mm, and the half tray at 190mm x 255mm.

tray depths

All KR foam trays are available in 6 compartment depths: 10mm, 23mm, 32mm, 51mm, 70mm and 110mm.

compartment sizes

All of our foam trays are available in 6 compartment depths: 10mm, 23mm, 32mm, 51mm, 70mm and 110mm.

The F-format trays have the largest compartment size for figure storage of any comparable system, at 53mm x 30mm (LxW)

The N-format are comparable to many on the market at 50mm x 25mm (LxW)

The M-format are ideal for 20-28mm figures at 40mm x 25mm (LxW)

The card trays are 53mm x 30mm x 35mm (LxWxD)

To demonstrate the compartment size the pics on the left show a standard 28mm pirate figure in the F-format and the N-format trays. Many thanks to Black Cat Bases for the Pirate!

KR core tray formats

There are SEVEN formats of core trays as listed here:

F-format (36 compartments)

N-format (40 compartments)

M-format (50 compartments)

0-format (49 compartments)

V-format segmented pick&pluck (6 rows, 30mm wide with 10mm walls)

D-format segmented pick&pluck (5 rows, 40mm wide with 10mm walls)

J-format segmented pick&pluck (4 rows, 50mm wide with 10mm walls)

Printouts are available of the core trays from the tray printouts page.
Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:25:03 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »
Magnetic tape on the bases, then put them in a metal container.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
Here is what I am doing. My miniatures are based on Pennies which are magnetic

Using the large mantic cases. They look like VHS cases. I am lining one side of the case with a Magnetic sheet so that the Pennies will attach to it. Then they will stand up inside the case.

Offline vsfguthroth

• Librarian
  • Literature ends in 1100 after that it's just books
    • My IHMN East Africa Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »
I was looking at these -

https://secureshop.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/sec0bad98961e/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/Figure_Storage_Chests/Boxes__Lids

Has anyone else got one ? (or more)

Pete

I was looking at those, then I discovered the 11 litre Really Useful Box. Perfect for keeping figures in and tall enough to handle standard bearers etc. Also very easy to put a sheet of magnetic paper into and pretty cheap too.

My IHMN figures are in a cabinet though :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
I'll second KR Multicase.  It looks a bit complex at first, but the modularity makes it really flexible.  The other big advantage is that you can have as many of the relatively cheap cardboard cases as required to store everything at home, & only get a single transport case/bag to take whichever cardboard case(s) you need for a particular gaming session.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline religon

• Bookworm
  • 28mm Pulp, Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Historical
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »
I have all sorts of containers. I have never found anything right for all figures.

The most important factor seems to be the interior height of the box for standing figures. 2 inches seems to work well for more infantry. Spearmen and larger figures do better with 3 inches. Monsters and trolls may need 4 inches.

I like ferrous cut sheets inside just cardboard boxes, used in roofing, for magnetized figures. I use a lot of Apple laptop boxes that I get at work. For figures without magnets, I use flat tackle boxes with compartments that stack well. I have about 35 that hold roughly 100 painted figures each. (12" by 9" by 2".) I generally don't like the foam as they take longer to load and unload and I break more figures getting them in and out of the box than with just tackle boxes.

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 10:32:41 PM »
Overkill perhaps but I found a Bisley steel filing cabinet works for me, 9" x 14" drawers 2" deep, each takes about 36 based units or one hellava lot more figures if unbased.
Its compact, solid and you can put your tea on it. But it's not cheap ....
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people ... I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out ...

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 02:20:51 AM »
I have a few KR Multicases for my Pulp, RPG figures and skirmish forces. My older 40K forces are in the original GW plastic cases. I like the all around protection the mostly metal figures get with individual foam for when I am driving around. For all my new armies which tend to be mostly plastic, I base with magnets and store them in metal lined trays in a gem case.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Tehet

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
Let me introduce a curved ball.

When I was looking for trays that could take 30mm bases (which is Westwind standard and which I have used for all my Northstar figures) I discovered Figures in Comfort, who do really strong trays with a solid rubber bottom.  The bonus was this. All their tray inserts for some reason have peel away stickers which means I can use them for the following...

I buy a box file, measure out a set of lines 30mm apart of the thickness of the inserts, which are between 3/4" and 2" tall (dependent on the tray type) and are then placed along those lines like a series of 'hedges'. You could feasibly line the floor of the box with steel paper and use magnetic basing as well. Whilst you cannot fit as many figures in, they are snug and safe from incidental bashing! In a standard A4 box file 60 figures will fit easily and you can modify the measurements for larger bases or vehicles. I did use magnetic lined boxes before but the weight of large numbers of metal figures tended to eventually warp the box.

One tray can do one box file very easily. The FIC trays vary from around £4 to £6.50 each dependent on the depth used but they are superior to any other product I've tried (even GW trays) and there is a large range. You just have to ensure that the seller doesn't helpfully dispose of all the inserts for you!!