Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley  (Read 2703 times)

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Pulp Alley
« on: May 14, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
I did ask in the sticky, but I'll try again here - I've been enjoying the AAR's but is there one out there that shows the game mechanics and explains them as it plays? Very tempted to get this - just downloaded the quick start rules to peruse but always useful to see more 'in game' examples. Cheers. Lovely games in the AAR's btw chaps  :)

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
Re: Pulp Alley
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »
Start HERE:

http://pulpalley.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=efd4c5f74db685cfbc930b58eb891a24

MANY, but by no means all of the good ones are headquartered there.

Dave has 2 threads about Pulp Alley AARs, one for this year, another for all the rest.  You found the first one.

Don't worry about wasting your time finding the perfect AAR that meets your needs, many, if not most, will.
AND you'll enjoy the great plots, stunning scenery on terrific tables, crazy characters and madcap action.

You will find the games and their reports, addicting, leaving you craving for more and wondering where has the time gone, hungry for that next episode.

& THAT my friend is how Phipps & Daughter hooked me.  They are a great team with wonderful support, frequently posting here.
They often answer game/rule questions directly, here & on TMP as well as their very own Pulp Alley Forum.  Can't beat 'em!!
Don't let Dave near your toaster though...

If you DON'T enjoy those thrilling tales in miniature, then Pulp, Alley or otherwise probably isn't your cuppa joe after all.

YMMV

Valerik

NOT a a paid commercial announcement
All acquisitions courtesy my credit card & PayPal
No actual villains were harmed in making this post
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
cheers - added to my buy list, along with the add-on for weapons, gadgets and so forth. Now to choose some figures.  :D

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »
Welcome aboard!!

& remember, there's a special pre-publication DEAL price on the new Pulp Alley supplement:

Guns, Gadgets, Gidgets, Widgets & Whatnot

Pre-Release Deals: Our special deals are available on the Pulp Alley online store through May 18th -- http://pulpalleycom.ipage.com/store/page4.html

see here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=66715.0

[Shameless plug/]

Valerik

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:55:57 AM »

I think Tim Kulinski's blog has a nice explanation of some of the rules/mechanics -- http://cursedtreasures.blogspot.com/2013/05/extra-extra-pulp-alley-has-arrived.html

And there a free version you can download from Wargame Vault. It's not the full rules but it's enough to learn the basic rules -- http://www.wargamevault.com/browse.php?manufacturers_id=5628

Please let us know if you have any specific questions.

HAVE FUN

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:14:51 AM »
cheers - I'll pick it up from Mr May in the UK shortly, I've grabbed the free rules already, and am now spending way too much time looking at various AAR's here and on the Pulp Alley forum - and just as I've gone and bought 70 odd samurai and rules for gaming that period I'm already looking at something new (well, new ish, I do have but untried .45 adventures and the GASLIGHT compendium - which I'm struggling to get my head round). Your rules look quick, simple to learn and fun, which are the three main components of gaming for me  :D 

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:31:11 AM »
Your rules look quick, simple to learn and fun

aliensurfer,

They definitely are! Read the rule book before your game and then you'll find there's no need to open it during actual game play. The game plays the way you want it to.  :-*

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »
I'll pick it up from Mr May in the UK shortly

The other one - Mr Rae. ;)

I'll think you'll have a great time with Pulp Alley. Dave and Mila seem to be taking over the world with it... :o

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »
I know, I'm so sorry  :(

I might have to order some of your figures at the same time to make up for it  ;)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »
Hey guys, I'm really interested in using this ruleset in a fantasy setting. Would the rules cover these sort of things - magic spells, fear causing monsters, hordes of the things, the usual fantasy tropes? Examples of what I would like to try:-

Four (or five) adventurers of a certain "stature" adventuring against the usual suspects - goblins, undead, orcs, ogres, ne'er do wells and other villains. Either deep underground in cave/dungeon setting, or in the rugged wilds, or in ye olde village setting.

I would also like to try Victorian adventurers investigating creepy crypts and spooky graveyards. Vampire hunt!

Cops and Robbers type bash.

How many figures per side does the rules allow? All the AARs seem to be half a dozen or so, which suggests that our heroes fighting tides of skeletons would not be doable. What's the maximum number of figures supported?

Also, it seems there's just one hero and a couple of co-stars per team. What happens if you have a wizard, an elf, a barbarian and a dwarf all wanting to be top dog?  ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »
Dave has mentioned that one way to deal with fantasy is to allow all figures one more ability (representing magic spells, boons, etc.)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
Hey guys, I'm really interested in using this ruleset in a fantasy setting. Would the rules cover these sort of things - magic spells, fear causing monsters, hordes of the things, the usual fantasy tropes? Examples of what I would like to try:-

Four (or five) adventurers of a certain "stature" adventuring against the usual suspects - goblins, undead, orcs, ogres, ne'er do wells and other villains. Either deep underground in cave/dungeon setting, or in the rugged wilds, or in ye olde village setting.

I've been thinking along similar lines (I expect for the same reason :D). There are various abilities and perks in the Perilous Island expansion that could be used to represent magic and whatnot, as well as undead and ghostly stuff. Since it is encouraged that you use abilities based on what they do rather than what they're called, you can assign suitable abilities and rename them appropriately.

I would also like to try Victorian adventurers investigating creepy crypts and spooky graveyards. Vampire hunt!

Cops and Robbers type bash.

The game is perfect for that. :)

How many figures per side does the rules allow? All the AARs seem to be half a dozen or so, which suggests that our heroes fighting tides of skeletons would not be doable. What's the maximum number of figures supported?

The absolute max in the current rules is 14 I think (no Leader, 1 Sidekick and 13 Followers) but David or Mila would be able to advise how viable that force would actually be. There is a playtest rule in the Yahoo group for Gangs of 5 figures that take 1 or 2 of the 10 League slots available. They're definitely poor quality mooks in the best pulp tradition so it means you heroes can be slaying plenty of skellies.

Also, it seems there's just one hero and a couple of co-stars per team. What happens if you have a wizard, an elf, a barbarian and a dwarf all wanting to be top dog?  ;)

This is something I've been meaning to try out, too. Without changing the rules you can have 1 Leader, 2 Sidekicks and 1 Ally (I currently assign the poor dwarf to this position) so 3 pretty tough characters and one less so. It would be interesting to see what 4 Sidekicks could get up to, but the opponent would likely need more slots for their side. Would be a cool set up for the Solo rules too. :)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
Another question, does PA have rules for horses?

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Another question, does PA have rules for horses?

Yup! You can either go simple and give characters 'Speedy' to increase their movement or the new Pulp Guns, Gadgets and Vehicles supplement has full rules for ridden mounts. Flying Dismount anyone?  :D