Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:07:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Knight and his followers  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: A Knight and his followers
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 08:53:56 AM »
Miniman, the dino is some "made in china" children's toy a friend gave me years ago. Could even have been Jurassic Park merchandising.

Thanks, Argonor. I can understand how those rules can drain the enthusiasm... Especially at that price and how promising they seemed to be. I find in such cases it helps to revisit the sources that got you fired up for the project in the first place.
For my own games, I haven't decided on rules at all. I'm currently considering either using Mordheim (with it's attendant flaws/restrictions) or kludging something up with IHMN (where I like the freedom from the fact you can generate your own stats, but the pluck mechanism means proper heroes potentially go down as hard and fast as anyone, which I'm not completely satisfied with...). Either way a large portion of house rules will be needed for dungeons and jousts.

I'm currently painting up a batch of 6 skeletons, and figuring out heraldry for the pair of knights I'm converting.
I've drawn up a quick colouring book style heraldry design sheet some time ago, that I'm using for this. It features four sets of a shield, caparison, helmet with mantling and 2 retainers so I can check out how colours work together and how to turn them into livery. I just take a blank one and have at it with crayons and felt tips...
If there is any interest I could scan in a spare and post it?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 09:09:38 AM »

Thanks, Argonor. I can understand how those rules can drain the enthusiasm... Especially at that price and how promising they seemed to be. I find in such cases it helps to revisit the sources that got you fired up for the project in the first place.
For my own games, I haven't decided on rules at all. I'm currently considering either using Mordheim (with it's attendant flaws/restrictions) or kludging something up with IHMN (where I like the freedom from the fact you can generate your own stats, but the pluck mechanism means proper heroes potentially go down as hard and fast as anyone, which I'm not completely satisfied with...). Either way a large portion of house rules will be needed for dungeons and jousts.

Problem is, it was the possibility of running tourneys as bring-your-knight-and-his-entourage, and then building up a story around my own young upstart that triggered me  lol

But I have bought a lot of minis, and as I love SAGA, and they seem to bring out rules for the Crusades, the purchases will not be in vain!

[/quote]
If there is any interest I could scan in a spare and post it?
[/quote]

Of course - every little accessory made to facilitate the preparations for gaming are welcome!

On a notion: I think I remember that the old D&D rules had some jousting rules - I'll go find my old flat boxes (and the Rules Cyclopedia) and see if there's something useable in there!

Apart form that, I have my mind set on writing up a set of tourney rules that should be a bit more interesting to play, than just rolling 2 dice and predecide in which order to play some randomly drawn cards...  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
Ouch, I can see how those rules are a double letdown then...
It is a very attractive premise, nonetheless.

But I have bought a lot of minis, and as I love SAGA, and they seem to bring out rules for the Crusades, the purchases will not be in vain!
Miniatures purchases are never in vain! :D

When you have a working draft of your rules I'd really like to have a look at them, if you'd let me. At the moment the only (semi)dedicated jousting rules I have are the old "Full Tilt" ones GW published in a White Dwarf in the 90's. The basically boil down to "choose one of 5 tactics, GW's trademark sequence of rolling to hit, to wound, armour, with an added roll to unhorse. Score points, repeat." The moving, or even presence, of miniatures is actually irrelevant...

Anyhow, here is that blank heraldry sheet. It's a bit washed out by the scanning, but I hope it's still usefull.
Here's the one I daubed all over during the process of deciding heraldry for my young knight and his retinue:

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
Great, thanks!

I'll try remembering to sent you a draft when I have written something up.

I actually have two ways I can go: 1) a fairly simple solution, with movement and the actual hit measured by dice rolls, adjusted by skill/training cards, using a result table that gives you a better hit, the higher your total, and 2) a game where you get to aim for a specific point of impact, rolling percentage dice to hit, the result, adjusted by skills and/or training, deciding how well or bad you hit.

I think I'll start with the simple solution, though.  :)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
Sounds good!
When you mentioned aiming for a specific point of impact, for a moment the old Epic and 40K hit diagrams and the "up-down, left-right" dice shot through my head...  ;D Probably over-elaborate and complicated, but it could be fun...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
Sounds good!
When you mentioned aiming for a specific point of impact, for a moment the old Epic and 40K hit diagrams and the "up-down, left-right" dice shot through my head...  ;D Probably over-elaborate and complicated, but it could be fun...

I'm thinking more on the lines of possible targets: Helmet, Shield, Body, and Swipe, with a minimum percentage requirement to hit the target area, some percentage intervals, or a separate roll, that can be modified by training/skill cards, to show actual effect... something like that. Speed of horse may deduct from aiming, but add to effect...

I have to go ponder and tinker with this...  o_o