Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:04:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: State of Zubrowka in 1932 (& the Grand Buapest Hotel) NOW WITH SPOILERS  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Don't know how many of the LAFers have seen Wes Anderson's latest movie but it's set in the small central European country of Zubrowka in about 1932. I have a suspicion that Zubrowka is very close to Ruritania. There are policemen in Kepis and a nascent fascist movement in black overcoats. As a movie, it's a visual treat and very funny, but it's the gaming potential I'm interested in. It's a great setting. You can get some idea from the trailer from the website.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:20:08 AM by Red Orc »

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
Re: State of Zubrowka in 1932 (& the Grand Buapest Hotel)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
That looks great and what an incredible cast!

former user

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
I can only recommend that movie

was actually curious when this would show up here  ;)
not surprised it is You who brought this up  :D

the faschists in black were from fucking Lutz  :)
what was that country with the desert uprising called again?  everything in for the best wierd pulp scenarios

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:19:37 AM »
I can't remember the name of the country that Zero was from. I did come out of the cinema going 'I have to remember the names of...' and wasn't able to retain it all.

The relationship between Zubrowka and Lutz is somewhat unclear to me, as is the shape of the war that is coming. If (as seems to be the case when they're on the train) Zubrowka and Lutz are neighbouring countries, how come Edward Norton (a policeman from Lutz) comes to arrest M. Gustave in Zubrowka? I thought perhaps that Lutz might be the capital of Zubrowka, and this is where the fascists start from (this would of course make the fascists Zubrowkan nationalists - hence 'Z Division', the ZZ logo and the secret police file on Agatha, as well as the lawyer working on both sides of the border, though as he's Madame D's agent I suppose that's reason enough); but it would make the 'war' a very hazy affair and not explain why they keep getting stopped in a barley field and asked for papers.

It's unclear to me, and I don't intend to go back to the cinema with a notebook! I guess I'll wait till it's out on DVD and do my research then.

former user

Yes, they seem to be different countries, because an invasion is mentioned.
also, the Zubrovka police uniforms are slightly different, in Lutz they have some kind of Pickelhaube first.
The Zubrovka police have Austro-Hungarian style Kepis I am wrong here, we actually see Lutz police in the hotel, but the military Lutz Kepis are french style. Anyway, police cooperation is not unknown. Also the SA had no problems rampaging in Austria in the 30ies, so....

Yes, I tried to look things up, bad background material is still a bit scarce on the net. were they academy nominated?

Edit: apparently the Lutz authorities have a whole bunch of different style uniforms, and Zubrovka are nowhere to be seen...
one more edit: I just decided that the spirit of the movie seems to be deliberate inconsistency. Zubrowka is the name of a polish vodka brand
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:04:01 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Central and Eastern Europe are largely overlooked and provide some great settings, fictional or otherwise. I was thinking on something set in Trans-Carpathia/Carpathian Ruthenia, which would involve the 'Little Entente' and Hungary myself.

Thanks for the heads up on the movie, I'm looking forwards to seeing it.  :)

former user

stunningly, the exteriors wer shot in Görlitz/Zgorzelec, which is the easternmost city in Germany and is cut by the river Neisse, with the other half in Poland, and belongs to the Sorbian minority in Germany.

is this a spoiler too?  :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Yes, they seem to be different countries, because an invasion is mentioned...

Indeed - but I'm not sure that the invasion is from/war is with Lutz. 

... the Zubrovka police uniforms are slightly different, in Lutz they have some kind of Pickelhaube first.
The Zubrovka police have Austro-Hungarian style Kepis I am wrong here, we actually see Lutz police in the hotel, but the military Lutz Kepis are french style...

Difference between rural and urban police forces? In the UK, different police forces even now have different designs of helmet.

...Anyway, police cooperation is not unknown. Also the SA had no problems rampaging in Austria in the 30ies, so....

True enough. They could be neighbouring countries. I can't remember anyone in Lutz buying anything but the currency in Zubrowka is something like 'Koblecs' - it might be an indication if there's any reference to money in Lutz.

Edit: apparently the Lutz authorities have a whole bunch of different style uniforms, and Zubrovka are nowhere to be seen...
one more edit: I just decided that the spirit of the movie seems to be deliberate inconsistency. Zubrowka is the name of a polish vodka brand

I see... so the whole thing could just be an old man's drunken story?

former user

not necessarily, but with vodka things are not that consistent  :D

Offline Capt. E.W. Brimmage

• Librarian
I thought the same thing when I saw the film. How gorgeous were those uniforms.

The film was a treat too. Surprised it was only 100 minutes, so well wrapped.