Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:52:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HMS Mimi  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Alchemy

• Assistant
HMS Mimi
« on: May 17, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »
Hallo, this is my HMS Mimi ready for adventures in Tanganyka Lake… Is the Old Glory boat but I add the 6 pdr from Eureka without the shield and the MG is a "superplus" Maxim from Brigade Games (I did not like the gun that come with the boat and also the two ventilators that are not part of the initial model). Any suggestion for the crew? As far as I read, Mr. Spicer-Simson wants his crew in tropical uniform (not Navy)…

Javier

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
Re: HMS Mimi
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
fantastic, I need one!!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »
Here's a picture of them on the shores of the lake...

They seem to have worn khaki army-style uniforms rather than Navy clobber for the most part, as you say. Some whites in evidence in the background though, and there is one photo where a fellow is dressed in an ordinary naval rating's tropical garb (soft cap and white t-shirt, though without the usual sailor's bib).

I'd be inclined to perhaps use the HLBSC heavy gun crew, as they make pretty good generic unarmed figures for serving guns and such...

With headswaps from the Woodbine Designs separate heads packs it's quite easy to give them a tropical feel, like this:

As for Spicer-Simson himself, as you can see in the above picture, he wore a peculiar khaki skirt of his own devising and manufacture. There are actually a couple of figures of him available. I have the same Old Glory gunboat as you, and I'm fairly sure the figure came with that. Did you not get one? However, it being Old Glory, the figures that come with it ain't up to much. I can't remember who makes the other one, perhaps some of our other knowledgeable members can help us out there. You could always try converting a figure if you are good at that sort of thing.

Otherwise you just need some British officer types in tropical garb, such as the ones made by Copplestone or Brigade.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
Those figures are perfect,you also need the Spicer Simonsen in the long skirt that he liked to wear."The Phantom Flotilla" by peter Shankland is a great read on the matter.

Offline Alchemy

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
Plynkes,
thank you very much for the suggestions, just ordered the HLBSC miniaturas (Ithink they are great to make a crew) and the tropical helmets from Gripping Beast, I think I will be able to manage to change some heads.

Regarding the figures from Old Glory… yes, they are not too much. This is why I was looking for something else. Looking for a british officer that looks like the picture you post!!!

Javier

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »
This pack from Copplestone Castings (BC18 - WW1 range) has a couple of candidates:

I think the one with the stick would suit your expedition. Seems like it would be possible to give him a greenstuff skirt to replace his shorts, but even if a person wasn't confident doing that, he would be fairly suitable as he is.

Offline Alchemy

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Yes!!! this is one option, I've also found in Brigade Games this one (the second of the left):

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/British-Infantry-Officers-and-NCOs-4_p_608.html

Picture is not very good, but seems that also need some work with green stuff. Seems that has a pipe… Did he smoke? (funny).

Javier

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:12:41 AM »
Oh.........bum! Another "must have" purchase to stretch my card limit to breaking point!  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »
This is a very old report (and man, my painting was rubbish back then lol), but you might find it of interest, Alchemy...

http://misterplynkes.blogspot.co.uk/2006/08/amelia-and-matilda-go-fort_115489492656942768.html

It is more based on the fictionalised version from "The African Queen" that was inspired by the historical events, which is why Mimi and Toutou have been renamed Amelia and Matilda.

Offline Alchemy

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »
Very funny story!!! I like your Königin Luise…

I was thinking in two escenarios, one based in The African Queen (something like you did) and other with the combat with the SMS Kingani… still wandering how to build a "decent" boat that may look like that one.

Javier

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
John mcEwan at Reviresco makes a Spicer Simpson figure.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »
Ah yes, that's the one I was thinking of but couldn't remember who made it. Thanks, Northtroll.

Offline Alchemy

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »
I did not saw that figure in Reviresco, there is only british officers also with shorts…. I think I will try to convert the Copplestone ones…

Javier

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
He may not have it listed on the website, but an email to John will get you a price, I'm sure.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »
Very nice boat!
Good work!