Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Keeping this to one non-Pulp board...  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Keeping this to one non-Pulp board...
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
Okay, I am interested in seeing some Pulp Alley AARs where it was used to game adventures between circa 1680 - 1899, my periods of pseudo-historical gaming, please.

I need another rule set not at all  ::) and I really don't do much (any?) after 1899 until the equally nebulous 'near future' of SF ("Bugs, Mr. Rico,") but all the nice AARs of the Pulp Board make wonder how viable such an application of the rule set might be for quick games with friends in eras I have figures for already (not buying any more "from 1900 until 2014" period when I am trying to sell what few I have off currently.)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Re: Keeping this to one non-Pulp board...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »
Should be an easy conversion!

The dice matching of Pulp Alley will work well for sword play; parries, ripostes and all out attacks can all be suggested through the initiative and dice matching mechanics.

Similarly the card-play has great potential, but I think you would want to come up with some cards of your own, or perhaps trim out some cards to start with. Depends on how much 'Errol Flynn' you want.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: Keeping this to one non-Pulp board...
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
Should be an easy conversion!

The dice matching of Pulp Alley will work well for sword play; parries, ripostes and all out attacks can all be suggested through the initiative and dice matching mechanics.

Similarly the card-play has great potential, but I think you would want to come up with some cards of your own, or perhaps trim out some cards to start with. Depends on how much 'Errol Flynn' you want.

That is encouraging but has anyone done something pre-1900 game and posted an AAR or BATREP like write-up so I can get a feel for how it worked.  I have tried other "Pulp" rules, (not named because they are good for what they cover, just not what I want,)  in the  past and not found them giving me what I wanted so before I invest in rules/cards I want to have a feel that PA has a reasonable chance to fill the niche.

Gracias,

Glenn