Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:40:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691464
  • Total Topics: 118392
  • Online Today: 633
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Giraffey's generic Sci-fi scenery from old toys project.... (updated 04/06)  (Read 13571 times)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
I picked up this old Action Force Tactical Battle Platform playset ages ago for about £8 if memory serves...

- it wasn't complete, the flip out platform was missing, as was the gun rack, but that was fine, as I originally intended to use it as an oil rig... but that has become too specific and the name of the game now is as much use as possible, so taking it down to the base platform gives a very interesting start to a 28mm terrain piece. There are some really great and crisp details and textures and I now see this as a good generic bit of sci-fi terrain for Dredd, Who, Blakes 7 and Action Force - it should work as a research centre, a pumping station, anything science based really (the legs will be used elsewhere I think)...

As you can see, I've removed the recessed vehicle pit and put in a platform - this helps give more area for 28mm figures and means they can cross from left to right without going down into the pit - my initial thought here was to reset the pit so it stuck out and to build more platform around it, however that would make it too big for storage so currently a wide flight of steps will go in the remaining hole. The filler platform has some plating etched into it and some random plates will be added elsewhere to help blend it in. The trench that runs along the back of the platform (joining the armoury with the control room) just happens to be perfect (with plenty of room) for 25mm slottas, so that was always staying, but in what form was a big question - originally I planned access down into the old armoury, and then along at the back to the old control room, but I suddenly decided to fill that blank space between two nicely molded gubbins, and cut down to add some steps there, and so far it looks pretty good I think.

The armoury (on the left) will now become a computer room, as 4 Ainsty computer panels fit nicely over where the rifle rack was. A door will be added to the bottom wall, but am undecided on whether to have a room above this. The control room (on the right, complete with attachment for a action figure sized chair) will become a machine room/engineering, with more hands on gubbins. The chair stalk will be kept I think and a door will be added blocking off the trench/corridor. Now the old control room had a black piece that fitted on for various consoles and this will make the basis of a next floor room, more machinery to monitor whatever is going on downstairs. Even better, on top of that fitted a clear plastic piece that form a lovely angled window on two sides and screams Spy-Fi villains office (but that is down the way a bit), so from that one area, I can easily make a 3 storey structure within the complex itself... plus I still have the hexagonal platforms and the helipad which scale much better to 28mm figures anyway...

Needless to say, this is going to take a while, the plastic is really hard to cut, but should make an interesting diversion...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:35:44 PM by anevilgiraffe »

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: Giraffey's generic Sci-fi scenery from old toys project....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:19:06 PM »
Interesting - I look forward to seeing progress!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:46:16 PM »
Neat stuff, toy bash ftw- as the sprogs say. You thought of sawing rather than cutting, we'd hate for you to lose a finger.

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:22:20 AM »
Yeah I dimly remember having one of these (second hand, missing a lot of stuff) as a kid.  I thought it was from GI Joes.  It should make an interestingly eclectic gamig piece :)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
no such thing as GI Joe... never heard of it.... ever...  >:(

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
NSA, the toys branded "G.I. Joe" in the US were branded "Action Man" (and later "Action Force") in the UK.  It has only been with the recent big budget movies that the same branding has been adopted worldwide.  So it may well be the same toy.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline sackofmonkeys

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
Eh?

I grew up in the UK and had G.I. Joe toys from '89 to '92 which I bought with my pocket money until I picked up a copy of White Dwarf one day and entered another world.

"Action Man" toys were much larger and completely different.

NSA, the toys branded "G.I. Joe" in the US were branded "Action Man" (and later "Action Force") in the UK.  It has only been with the recent big budget movies that the same branding has been adopted worldwide.  So it may well be the same toy.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »
There were GI Joe 12" 'Action man' dolls and later GI Joe 4" action figures... later to be branded 'Action Force' for the British market... so everyone is Right :)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
Specifically …

It's the same toy.

Edit: sackofmonkeys is right about Action Man being used as the brand for 12" dolls - but those dolls were also branded as G.I. Joe in the US, where they originated:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:23:12 PM by Steve F »

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 01:42:45 AM »
Very nice -- I look forward to seeing it develop!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 06:31:27 AM »
Watching with interest.
 8)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 07:07:06 AM »
Nice! I had two of those platforms as a kid. Often thought about turning them into terrain too. One of them was scavenged for the helo platforms.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline sackofmonkeys

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »
We are indeed both right!  :) According to the interwebs GI Joe was relaunched in 1982 in 3¾-inch scale because Star Wars figures in that scale had sold so well. It's interesting that it was branded "Action Force" outside the US because I remember all the TV adverts / cartoons all referring to GI Joe and Action Force.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »
Here in Australia it was always GI Joe, but we never got the cartoon to my memory, just the toys. I cut one up for an ork Battlewagon once.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 10:42:01 PM »
I think you'll find Chris is simply saying that in his world... There is no GI Joe only Action Force.  ;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.